Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: 2020 Interior Lake Fishing Season  (Read 30129 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: 2020 Interior Lake Fishing Season
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 06:21:34 AM »

You'll never see a FV with Red meat.  They'll get a ok orange coloured meat but taste nothing like pennasks.

Not ture.

There is a lake in the back of Mission with wild population of FV bows with red flesh.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2020, 06:59:38 AM »

Not ture.

There is a lake in the back of Mission with wild population of FV bows with red flesh.

FV rainbows are a purely domestic strain. I think the original stock was acquired from US hatchery sources and cultured for BC. Truly wild rainbows on the coast are likely descended from steelhead. Hicks had long lived rainbows that grew very large and some thought they were essentially land locked steelhead. Supposedly extirpated now.

Some lakes have while having no scuds have large populations of daphnia whose exoskeletons are a pronounced reddish orange. Trout in those lakes have very deep orange red flesh.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:45:17 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2020, 07:19:29 AM »

FV rainbows are a purely domestic strain. I think the original stock was acquired from US hatchery sources and cultured for BC. Truly wild rainbows on the coast are likely descended from steelhead. Hicks had long lived rainbows that grew very large and some thought they were essentially land locked steelhead. Supposedly extirpated now.

Some lakes have while having no scuds have large populations of daphnia whose exoskeletons are a pronounced reddish orange. Trout in those lakes very deep orange red flesh.

Honestly I don't need your knowledge dropped on me. You have a habbit of talking to people like they're children. I'm  not interested in it. Just shut up.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »

Honestly I don't need your knowledge dropped on me. You have a habbit of talking to people like they're children. I'm  not interested in it. Just shut up.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Knowledge can be an evil thing for sure.  ::)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

4x4

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:12 AM »

I have caught many FV with orange or red meat.

Hike/Fish you got to chill a little.
What Ralph posted is right and coming from experience. To tell a fellow fisherman to shut up because you think he's a know it all is wrong.
The best tool we get in life are people that have lived it and share their knowledge and experiences. When you shut it out you are actually handicapping yourself.

I think C19 has you stressed. A little bit of sugar goes a lot farther than vinegar. ;D

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »

I think C19 has you stressed. A little bit of sugar goes a lot farther than vinegar. ;D

That about describes this whole forum right now 8)

4x4

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2020, 10:49:29 AM »

That about describes this whole forum right now 8)

Not just this forum.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2020, 11:11:21 AM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2020, 11:44:40 AM »

Here is the info on FV rainbows.

https://www.gofishbc.com/Stocked-Fish.aspx#stocked-strains

the should call them the Vancouver Island McLeary Rainbows and have a custom tartan designed in their honor.

96XJ

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2020, 08:27:09 AM »

I have caught many FV with orange or red meat.

Hike/Fish you got to chill a little.
What Ralph posted is right and coming from experience. To tell a fellow fisherman to shut up because you think he's a know it all is wrong.
The best tool we get in life are people that have lived it and share their knowledge and experiences. When you shut it out you are actually handicapping yourself.

I agree , keep it up Ralph , i for one appreciate the knowledge shared , from you and from Dave as well and anyone who is actually sharing fishing related information ,  its the reason i am on this site , not for the lecturing about other non-fishing subjects that have been popular on this site of late  ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2020, 10:29:47 AM »

Thank you.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »

And again.

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »

Thanks Ralph.  I appreciate the generosity you exhibit, when sharing your knowledge.

on topic...Just returned from the Nicola/ Thompson area. First time fishing the shallows with chronomids and had a fantastic time.
All due to a local fisher, Tyler was his name, Great Guy!, who was out on the lake too. He was very generous with his information, going as far as even pulling along side to give us a few flies to match the hatch exactly. He knew the lake, it's shallows, and how things moved around in the changing wind directions. Those bits of wisdom and others more specific to the time of year , water temperature , and plankton blooms really help us get a much better understanding of the lake and made for an exceptional fishing experience.  Once we took heed, listened to his advise and trusted his local knowledge , we found ourselves squealing like little kids, giggling with joy and playing fish after beauty fish.
finally after 8 hours of on and off waves of awesome take downs we finally waved good bye to our local buddy Tyler and rolled off into the sunset. Best day of productive fishing in a long time. Funny how one can learn things when simply smiling, listening and showing a little appreciation.
 ;)

4x4

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »

Thanks Ralph.  I appreciate the generosity you exhibit, when sharing your knowledge.

on topic...Just returned from the Nicola/ Thompson area. First time fishing the shallows with chronomids and had a fantastic time.
All due to a local fisher, Tyler was his name, Great Guy!, who was out on the lake too. He was very generous with his information, going as far as even pulling along side to give us a few flies to match the hatch exactly. He knew the lake, it's shallows, and how things moved around in the changing wind directions. Those bits of wisdom and others more specific to the time of year , water temperature , and plankton blooms really help us get a much better understanding of the lake and made for an exceptional fishing experience.  Once we took heed, listened to his advise and trusted his local knowledge , we found ourselves squealing like little kids, giggling with joy and playing fish after beauty fish.
finally after 8 hours of on and off waves of awesome take downs we finally waved good bye to our local buddy Tyler and rolled off into the sunset. Best day of productive fishing in a long time. Funny how one can learn things when simply smiling, listening and showing a little appreciation.
 ;)

Great post.
I've had the same experience like you guys had more than once through my long fishing career. It sure make a difference for sure.

And talking about experience, there are many on this forum that have and share it and I agree Dave is up there also.

hammer

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »

forums are supposed to be place to share knowledge and discuss our shared passion. IMO Ralph’s post was informative and presented without any other intention, that I discerned, than to add some depth to the discussion. I have been fishing a long time, all over the place, and have a functional understanding of some of the science around fish and fishing....I still pick up a lot of helpful and informative bits from different forum members....I appreciate the collective knowledge on the forum....That’s coming from someone who knows everything about fishing😉
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9