Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Interior Lake Fishing Season  (Read 30456 times)

coldfinger

• always thankful
Re: 2020 Interior Lake Fishing Season
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2020, 08:12:50 AM »

A huge thanks to Brian Chan for his video's explaining Chronomid fishing and how it works and to FWR forum for the kind advice.
We looked at Lundbom and saw the floatilla. Being a little unsure of our selves and not wanting to be " those guys" on the lake we opted Marquart.
The small lake and little pressure made us feel a little bit more at ease.  After a few minutes we had a nice little Rainbow on board to pump. Caught it dragging a green wooly bugger. Once we saw the results of the pump, we dialed in the size and colour, and we were off to the races. Pennasks and Brookies, 16"- 18" .  The ticket for us was a # 14 Black/ Red ribs and tail snow cone over near the weed beds in about 10-15 water   Thanks Again for the advice. Had a blast.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:15:45 AM by coldfinger »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2020, 08:46:24 AM »

Great success story. Getting over the starting hump can be challenging and even the best get humbled from time to time. congrats on early success, especially at Marquart. It can be a moody place

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2020, 10:33:19 AM »

A huge thanks to Brian Chan for his video's explaining Chronomid fishing and how it works and to FWR forum for the kind advice.
We looked at Lundbom and saw the floatilla. Being a little unsure of our selves and not wanting to be " those guys" on the lake we opted Marquart.
The small lake and little pressure made us feel a little bit more at ease.  After a few minutes we had a nice little Rainbow on board to pump. Caught it dragging a green wooly bugger. Once we saw the results of the pump, we dialed in the size and colour, and we were off to the races. Pennasks and Brookies, 16"- 18" .  The ticket for us was a # 14 Black/ Red ribs and tail snow cone over near the weed beds in about 10-15 water   Thanks Again for the advice. Had a blast.

Good to hear, we must have driven by you at the lake yesterday on our way out. Conditions couldn't have been better... Cloudy, very little wind, warm....

Old Blue

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »

Good to hear, we must have driven by you at the lake yesterday on our way out. Conditions couldn't have been better... Cloudy, very little wind, warm....

What no hiding in the truck that day  ;D

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »

The weather couldn't have been better, I agree. And the fishing wasn't bad either. Thanks Rods for tip. And to Everyday, the weed beds you recommended produced a bunch of these beauties.

8)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2020, 11:33:18 AM »

What no hiding in the truck that day  ;D

Gotta keep the guests comfy and happy while the fish are not hungry. ;D

Pretty looking brookie. I love catching them too but haven't done it this year yet, been a little too obsessed with rainbows this season...

Robert_G

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »

As much I love to eat a Big Bar (or a similar lake) Rainbow, Brookies are on another level of eating. Nice fish.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »

Lundbom today was pretty good. Because we were fishing quite deep (35ft), I rigged up one spinning rod with the slip float, the other with a sliding weight rig just dropping straight down to the bottom. Both had hard takes and junior got to reel in plenty of fish in the 16-18" range. Nothing long, but they were chunky. I'd say this and Every Day's suggestion are two good options for you.

Great Fishing next to you again Rod!  Your kid seems very well behaved (though the food helped alot).  Had a great day despite the slow start for me.  Pretty little lake.  Couldn't have asked for nicer weather and it was a bonus that I knew half the people on the lake!

I'm probably going to invest in a Jon boat soon.  I love my frameless pontoon, but the time for set up and packing away afterwards is a pain.  Also, casting long leaders with an indicator and lots of crap to snag in your boat was tough.  The thing I love the most about fishing is that you learn something new every day.  Whether its a new technique, lure or fishing spot.  Fishing stillwaters is a bit new for me compared to the time spent on local rivers float fishing.  When outfitted with the proper gear, these feisty trout can be every bit as fun as fighting a coho on the vedder.

Hope to see you out there again.  I'm thinking with this Covid thing, I'll be spending more time out on the lakes this year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2020, 01:45:29 PM »

Great Fishing next to you again Rod!  Your kid seems very well behaved (though the food helped alot).  Had a great day despite the slow start for me.  Pretty little lake.  Couldn't have asked for nicer weather and it was a bonus that I knew half the people on the lake!

I'm probably going to invest in a Jon boat soon.  I love my frameless pontoon, but the time for set up and packing away afterwards is a pain.  Also, casting long leaders with an indicator and lots of crap to snag in your boat was tough.  The thing I love the most about fishing is that you learn something new every day.  Whether its a new technique, lure or fishing spot.  Fishing stillwaters is a bit new for me compared to the time spent on local rivers float fishing.  When outfitted with the proper gear, these feisty trout can be every bit as fun as fighting a coho on the vedder.

Hope to see you out there again.  I'm thinking with this Covid thing, I'll be spending more time out on the lakes this year.

That was indeed pretty fun. ;) I find it kind of boring when fishing alone at the lake, way more interesting when you have 3 or 4 boats fishing together, plus it'd speed up the exploring and figuring out what they are eating part. I was thinking Thursday was my last trip this season, but I will most likely squeeze in another on Tuesday.... :-[ I'll keep you posted on FB.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

psd1179

• Old Timer

colin6101

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2020, 07:15:21 PM »

Nice video Rod, I was fishing by you guys in my red kayak. Great to see you out there with your son, I'm a few years away until I can do the same with mine! All the larger fish we caught were out deeper as well, while the top 5' of water was loaded with 12-14" fish all day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2020, 07:21:06 PM »

You had so many grey hair now

When you skim through 69 pages of Covid-19, you'd get that much grey hair too.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2020, 08:43:56 PM »

I love how your son takes the liberty of adjusting the camera to get himself more in frame.

Definitely showing Fishing With Rod Productions showrunner potential!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2020, 09:49:16 PM »

When you skim through 69 pages of Covid-19, you'd get that much grey hair too.

;D ;D Have you been saved ?