Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020 Interior Lake Fishing Season  (Read 30128 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: 2020 Interior Lake Fishing Season
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2020, 08:54:31 PM »

It's like all these scientists and doctors nowadays who won't stop going on and on about science and the things they learned through decades of experience in their fields. Geez, shut up already. I did an hour of research online and got all the facts I needed from a Youtube video. Knowledgeable people going on and on about facts are just the worst.

(This is sarcasm. I'm adding this disclaimer because the people I'm criticizing are less able to read between the lines than most)

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2020, 07:38:31 AM »

Sharing knowledge is great but sometimes it's all about the delivery of said knowledge.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »

Another enjoyable day at the lake.

Dad turned 84 a few months ago, still like a kid when has a fishing rod in his hands. 21" FV.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »

I'm new to the interior lake fishing. I have a small plastic row boat that can drag in anywhere and was thinking of heading up to the Kane Valley.
Hoping to stay on the smaller lakes likes Chicken Ranch / Englishman Lakes for some fly fishing with my son. I hear the lakes can suffer winter kill off. Does anyone know if that's been the case this year, how the lakes are for access and how it's been fishing this year ? Any tips appreciated.
CF

hammer

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »

I think you are probably okay. There are brook trout in upper second for sure. Can be moody....if you are going with your son, depending on his age and experience, you might want go a lake where you can drag around a pumpkinhead and crush 14 inchers. You might be better off at Shea or closer to Pike mountain

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »

Thanks Hammer, we should be OK...he's got more patience than I do. lol
Just wonder if the water conditions are ok ? and if anyone has any suggestions to get us started. Having just experienced fishing with Chronomid patterns, on a lower elevation lake,  I'm hooked. Hoping the technique will be successful up in Kane Valley.Is it too early that high up or is our timing good?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2020, 10:11:34 PM »

I'd say Upper and Lower Second, Chicken Ranch Lake are super moody and are to be avoided if you are just new to it. I've seen fair amount of traffic at Englishmen but so far I have only heard of bad reports from it. Harmon has been doing well. Shea is another kid/family-friendly lake IMO. With that said, I find all Kane Valley lakes to be a bit tough as the shoals all drop straight down and the depth is difficult for beginners to figure out.

You should consider Marquart or Lundbom Lake. I'm bringing one of my kids to Lundbom tomorrow so will let you know how it goes. It takes about the same amount of time to get to Lundbom as to the Kane Valley Lakes.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2020, 10:57:47 PM »

Another enjoyable day at the lake.

Dad turned 84 a few months ago, still like a kid when has a fishing rod in his hands. 21" FV.
Like.

Nice to see a son and a 84 yr old dad still fishing together.

In the very early days of FWR, there was a picture of your dad with a Stave coho. He can still put fish on the beach!

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2020, 05:50:29 AM »

I'd say Upper and Lower Second, Chicken Ranch Lake are super moody and are to be avoided if you are just new to it. I've seen fair amount of traffic at Englishmen but so far I have only heard of bad reports from it. Harmon has been doing well. Shea is another kid/family-friendly lake IMO. With that said, I find all Kane Valley lakes to be a bit tough as the shoals all drop straight down and the depth is difficult for beginners to figure out.

You should consider Marquart or Lundbom Lake. I'm bringing one of my kids to Lundbom tomorrow so will let you know how it goes. It takes about the same amount of time to get to Lundbom as to the Kane Valley Lakes.
Thanks Rod. We'll maybe give those a try instead. Thanks for the word.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »

I'll add another recommendation for Marquart. Nice easy launch,  perfect size to get around on. Numerous pennasks in the 13-15 inch range, with the odd ones 21-22. The shoal right by the boat launch can be good for stripping leeches in.

For chironies I've always done best at the far left of the lake (little bay across from the rest area) in 22 feet of water. Small black/ silver snow cones (size 16 scud hook). If all else fails troll a leech and you'll get em.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2020, 08:56:01 PM »

Lundbom today was pretty good. Because we were fishing quite deep (35ft), I rigged up one spinning rod with the slip float, the other with a sliding weight rig just dropping straight down to the bottom. Both had hard takes and junior got to reel in plenty of fish in the 16-18" range. Nothing long, but they were chunky. I'd say this and Every Day's suggestion are two good options for you.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2020, 09:10:47 PM »

super cool, get them excited about the sport young.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2020, 10:03:52 PM »

Like.

Nice to see a son and a 84 yr old dad still fishing together.

In the very early days of FWR, there was a picture of your dad with a Stave coho. He can still put fish on the beach!

Now that he lives 10 minute drive from the Vedder Crossing, he gets dropped off there and walks down to the run below it for a couple hours of fishing each day during the salmon season... He has probably talked to some of you down there with the little English he knows because he likes to chat...

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2020, 10:52:36 PM »

Damn the fish are well fed this year!