Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Army and Navy closes after 101 years.  (Read 11839 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Army and Navy closes after 101 years.
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »

Just got back. No line up to get in. Lots of stuff of all sorts still there. Lots of fly tying stuff and some good fly lines. Good selection of gear hooks, line, rods, some lure and so forth. I saved about $25 on couple of fly boxes and various packs of fly tying fluff  plus a pack of gammy octopus hooks.  Camping gear too.

Line ups are bad. I had to wait 40+ minutes. Lots of screwing around by the clerks and customers. Only 4 cashiers appear open in the whole store.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2020, 01:25:42 PM »

Just got back. No line up to get in. Lots of stuff of all sorts still there. Lots of fly tying stuff and some good fly lines. Good selection of gear hooks, line, rods, some lure and so forth. I saved about $25 on couple of fly boxes and various packs of fly tying fluff  plus a pack of gammy octopus hooks.  Camping gear too.

Line ups are bad. I had to wait 40+ minutes. Lots of screwing around by the clerks and customers. Only 4 cashiers appear open in the whole store.

The one cashier I got this morning was so so slow.  Man it was like watching paint dry.  It almost seemed like he was the janitor being put on cashier duty.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »

The New Westminster store has all the symptoms that something was wrong with the A&N. At the Front St entrance half the doors were slowly closed off - broken and they couldn't be bothered to fix. My favourite was the shut down of the Men's Washroom that happened that happened a few years ago. Once I asked if I could use the staff washroom and was told NO! I couldn't understand how they could stay open. The POS Terminals are just abut that POSes. took almost 5 minutes to produce my receipt. Then they staple it all together when none of it is returnable! What bugged me is the people who stood in line and then did their shopping for stuff behind the counter when they got to the cashier!

I wonder what will happen to the building? If the city doesn't allow a tear down, I imagine Jackie will wait sometime before cashing in.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »

Everything including fishing tackle is now 50% off. Line up was about 20 minutes though the length behind me doubled while I was there. Still worthwhile stuff there. I got a SA line and saved $50. They have other SA fly lines. Lots of fly tying stuff. Good amount of mono, hooks etc. I didn't look at everything. Rod selection looks thin but there are some Shimano and Luhr Jensen casting rods.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:27:29 AM by RalphH »