Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposed June sturgeon fishing closure for Lower Fraser River  (Read 15573 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Proposed June sturgeon fishing closure for Lower Fraser River
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:40:02 AM »

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Proposed June sturgeon fishing closure for Lower Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »

Sounds reasonable. No fishing over spawning fish should be the default.
Guides won't like it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:30:20 AM »

Seems like there is no scientific bases to close the tidal portion of the fraser river not to mention sturgeon in the tidal portion fall fully under DFO control.

There is also no defined boundary for the tidal portion mentioned. There is no provided creel surveys on angler effort over the years.  There is no mention on how the provence plans to enforce the closure. Will they be doing boat patrols?  During the month of june critically endangered chinook and sockeye populations are migrating. Without eyes on the water there will be a significant need to increase patrols during this time. will this be conducted and will funding be provided?

No long term rebuilding plan for sturgeon provided, No mention of the kill fishery in columbia river where fraser sturg have also been tag. No mention of the effects of catch and release on spawning fish. No mention of studies conducted on the effects of catch and release on sturg. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:32:54 AM by wildmanyeah »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »

A months income taking out of the sturgeon guides pockets and lost tourism dollars for the local communities in a prime time month of June. Ouch. This is going to hurt. Will there be any enforcement to negate the ongoing poacher activity that will take place during this closure?

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »

There is also no defined boundary for the tidal portion mentioned...
            ............mission railway bridge is the Fraser tidal boundary for regulation purposes
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

avid angler

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 03:29:50 PM »

Oh boy RIP early chinook

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »

............mission railway bridge is the Fraser tidal boundary for regulation purposes

I was more referring to how far out into the ocean it would extend

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 03:48:55 PM »

Seems like there is no scientific bases to close the tidal portion of the fraser river not to mention sturgeon in the tidal portion fall fully under DFO control.

There is also no defined boundary for the tidal portion mentioned. There is no provided creel surveys on angler effort over the years.  There is no mention on how the provence plans to enforce the closure. Will they be doing boat patrols?  During the month of june critically endangered chinook and sockeye populations are migrating. Without eyes on the water there will be a significant need to increase patrols during this time. will this be conducted and will funding be provided?

No long term rebuilding plan for sturgeon provided, No mention of the kill fishery in columbia river where fraser sturg have also been tag. No mention of the effects of catch and release on spawning fish. No mention of studies conducted on the effects of catch and release on sturg.

I love this.

I'd love to know how many sturgeon a year die from salmon nets, prop strikes and how many Fraser fish are retained in the Columbia river each year. I feel that the data is there for C&R mortality rates for Fraser river Sturgeon and the others I mentioned above we dont have enough data on. I'd this moves forward I feel that the numbers will continue to fall. I think DFO needs to invest in a drone opperation and monitor the nets better. Without guides on the river the month of June, poaching of Salmon will spike.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:54:19 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »

Sounds reasonable. No fishing over spawning fish should be the default.
Guides won't like it.

Agreed. Leave them be while spawning.

In response to wildman's comment about the scientific basis for the closure: sturgeon don't spawn every year so leaving them alone when they do spawn is more important than with some other species. It's also been documented that sturgeon under high levels of stress (including due to C&R) may reabsorb their eggs into their body and skip the entire spawning process for that year.

Regardless of your take on this proposal, everyone seems to agree that more DFO patrols on the Fraser would be a good thing. I love the idea of using drones to cover more area with ever-shrinking budgets.

avid angler

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »

Sturgeon don’t spawn in the tidal Fraser. This closure is more political based then conservation based.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 09:02:23 PM »

Everyone has read the proposal before commenting right? And it is a proposal which is open for consultations...

The reasoning behind the proposed Tidal Fraser River closure is to protect migrating fish and preventing a surge of fishing pressure from the closure in the non-tidal portion.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 09:14:07 PM »

Everyone has read the proposal before commenting right? And it is a proposal which is open for consultations...

The reasoning behind the proposed Tidal Fraser River closure is to protect migrating fish and preventing a surge of fishing pressure from the closure in the non-tidal portion.

I have no plans to engage with the Provence over this. I will engage with dfo since they are in charge of the tidal portion.

There is also zero evidence provided that it will cause a shift in angling effort. Also where is the evidence that they are migrating in June though the tidal portion. They don’t migrate though in other months like May? What is the migratory behaviour of a sturgeon??

On Facebook First Nations said they were going to go after sturgeon fishing because of the reports that went out against their fishery. Now it seems to be happening hmmm?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:16:01 PM by wildmanyeah »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 04:54:49 PM »

I have no plans to engage with the Provence over this. I will engage with dfo since they are in charge of the tidal portion.

There is also zero evidence provided that it will cause a shift in angling effort. Also where is the evidence that they are migrating in June though the tidal portion. They don’t migrate though in other months like May? What is the migratory behaviour of a sturgeon??

On Facebook First Nations said they were going to go after sturgeon fishing because of the reports that went out against their fishery. Now it seems to be happening hmmm?

If a FN fishery for Sturgeon opens up so will the black market. Itll be game over at that point. The province and DFO ( also many FN leaders that care about the fishery ) wont ve in favor of this.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »

If a FN fishery for Sturgeon opens up so will the black market. Itll be game over at that point. The province and DFO ( also many FN leaders that care about the fishery ) wont ve in favor of this.

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »

I guess policy direction by Facebook posts? Here I thought it was via Twitter feed! Which do you think is more reliable since you don't seem to bother with what's stated by FN bands via their council statements.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.