Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposed June sturgeon fishing closure for Lower Fraser River  (Read 15596 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Proposed June sturgeon fishing closure for Lower Fraser River
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »

Makes me wonder if this June closure is to stop rec anglers from "impeding" with early chinook "FSC" opportunities.....

The likelihood of chinook salmon openings prior to July is small in the near future, so no.

Ken Malloway’s point may not be popular among recreational anglers, but he does have a point on user conflicts.

stsfisher

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »

I find this comment insulting actually:
"Often these are
impeded by Recreational fisheries that result in their fishers anchoring or passing through drifting, set
netting and beach seine sites."

I would like to think our recreational anglers have come a long way since the conflicts of the 90's even early 2000's on the fraser. This statement paints a very strong disregard for first nation fisheries by rec anglers which in my opinion really is off based.
I am not saying this does not inadvertently happen from time to time, but I will bet that 99% of the time these conflicts would not happen if respect was given by both parties.
Honestly I am tired of being told that recreational anglers as a whole are a problem. If they have an issue on the river with a recreational angler, report it and wait for a response like I am asked to do when I witness an infraction.

The problem is not and should not be painted as a recreational angler issue, this is a management issue. Until our province and Federal government are prepared to make big changes in their structure any work we do as recreational/ commercial/first nation anglers there will aways be name blaming, especially at a time like now where those who cry loudest get heard 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 10:31:36 AM »

I find this comment insulting actually:
"Often these are
impeded by Recreational fisheries that result in their fishers anchoring or passing through drifting, set
netting and beach seine sites."

I would like to think our recreational anglers have come a long way since the conflicts of the 90's even early 2000's on the fraser. This statement paints a very strong disregard for first nation fisheries by rec anglers which in my opinion really is off based.
I am not saying this does not inadvertently happen from time to time, but I will bet that 99% of the time these conflicts would not happen if respect was given by both parties.
Honestly I am tired of being told that recreational anglers as a whole are a problem. If they have an issue on the river with a recreational angler, report it and wait for a response like I am asked to do when I witness an infraction.

The problem is not and should not be painted as a recreational angler issue, this is a management issue. Until our province and Federal government are prepared to make big changes in their structure any work we do as recreational/ commercial/first nation anglers there will aways be name blaming, especially at a time like now where those who cry loudest get heard

Just trying to squeeze the last life blood out of the recreational fishery on the fraser river. The sturgeon fishery

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »

Where was that taken from btw wildmanyeah? Is it through a private email to you?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Robert_G

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »

Just trying to squeeze the last life blood out of the recreational fishery on the fraser river. The sturgeon fishery

This is exactly it.

The sturgeon fishery is all that is left on the Fraser for the sporties. A small June closure sounds good in a vacuum, but ANYONE with their head NOT in the sand knows this will lead to the sturgeon fishery completely being shut down for the Recreational Fishery.
Everything that is happening and that has already happened on the Fraser, I predicated years ago and my timeline has been pretty much dead on. I gave the sturgeon fishery until 2025, but I'm thinking that may have been generous. 

Once we are closed down for Sturgeon under current management, we will never be allowed on the Fraser again...aside from the what the future MAY hold in the form of possible First Nations guided fishing only or perhaps some sort of pay fishery (again...with the proceeds going to First Nations for fishing on their river)
Sad state of affairs.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »

I do run drones through my business. Fully licensed as well. If someone is really concerned about the activities of others on the river during a closure I'll be happy to contract some flight time.

dnibbles

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »

"This statement paints a very strong disregard for first nation fisheries by rec anglers which in my opinion really is off based.

The problem is not and should not be painted as a recreational angler issue, this is a management issue.

I suspect First Nations feel much the same way in regards to being painted with the same brush for the actions of a handful of bad actors. The statement re: respect given by both parties seems to fall into that category as well, implying that if there have been conflicts that it was most likely brought on by a disrepectful FN fisher.

The significant increase in pressure on sturgeon in the Lower Fraser makes some kind of management a no brainer. This is such a unique fishery that we in BC are still lucky to have. It's funny, once salmon populations go down the toilet people squawk that something should have been done, but when a proactive step is taken with a much more fragile fishery the self-interest takes over.

avid angler

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »

I suspect First Nations feel much the same way in regards to being painted with the same brush for the actions of a handful of bad actors. The statement re: respect given by both parties seems to fall into that category as well, implying that if there have been conflicts that it was most likely brought on by a disrepectful FN fisher.

The significant increase in pressure on sturgeon in the Lower Fraser makes some kind of management a no brainer. This is such a unique fishery that we in BC are still lucky to have. It's funny, once salmon populations go down the toilet people squawk that something should have been done, but when a proactive step is taken with a much more fragile fishery the self-interest takes over.

Yes but we need management measures that will actually increase the sturgeon population. To be honest there will be more sturgeon killed from the extra poaching that will happen then this proposed regulation could ever save. Root problems are never addressed or dealt with. Our government “manages” fish populations by closing recreational fisheries and wait for all the sheep to forget about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 03:24:21 PM by avid angler »

stsfisher

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 05:37:11 PM »

Not squaking dribbles and don't turn my words into me implying that these conflicts are because of disrespectful fn members. My comments are not because of my self interest as you should be able to figure out by reading my past post in this thread. I have nothing to lose or gain from this closure or any other closure for that matter.

Mr. Malloway is a very influential member who should be looking for solutions and resolution without using his power to make statements that are far from what takes place on the river today. Statements like these are heard and taken at par with little regard to learn more about the work that has been done over many years to curb this kind of behaviour.

We are deffintly at a cross road where one can not say anything without being racist or told to think about how others must have felt for years, I get it, but please don't  think you know who or what I represent or feel of others.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »

I just had a dinner on Sunday night with a friend of mine from the Tsleil-Waututh Nation. It's always funny hearing his side of the argument. Its truly amazing to hear of the growth on that side 9f the equation. They have a large seafood corporation with two other bands and sell millions of dollars of Crabs and Salmon. He says growth is off the charts.  Even he doesnt want non-FN catching salmon. He hates the fact that I fish period. It's amazing to see the power FN bands are gaining on a daily bassis. It's insane. Side note, did any of you people know that if you are born into the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, you recover $1000 a year from birth. It's set aside in a trust fund till you reach 18 years. If you decide to attend university, the nation pays you your living expenses and tuition. Talk about token.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »

Side note, did any of you people know that if you are born into the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, you recover $1000 a year from birth. It's set aside in a trust fund till you reach 18 years. If you decide to attend university, the nation pays you your living expenses and tuition. Talk about token.

just to be clear, do you see a problem with this. am i reading this right?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 08:28:49 PM »

i dont believe the fighting between user groups does any good for anyone. we have a common goal and want to see sustainable salmon and sturgeon stocks. if we combine are efforts between first nation, commercial and recreational imagine the lobbying power we would have to see real change in both funding and management.

one of my best friends is a sts'ailes member and a recreational fisherman. he holds all the same licence's that i do to fish recreationally. he also fishes with traditional methods when called upon by his family.

what we really need is a political ally that will stand up for salmon and sturgeon. someone that can rally support across user groups.     

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 08:39:26 PM »

i dont believe the fighting between user groups does any good for anyone. we have a common goal and want to see sustainable salmon and sturgeon stocks. if we combine are efforts between first nation, commercial and recreational imagine the lobbying power we would have to see real change in both funding and management.

one of my best friends is a sts'ailes member and a recreational fisherman. he holds all the same licence's that i do to fish recreationally. he also fishes with traditional methods when called upon by his family.

what we really need is a political ally that will stand up for salmon and sturgeon. someone that can rally support across user groups.     

True but not how the FN feel. They truly want everyone other than themselves off the water. They really do. FN corporations have taken more pieces of the pie away from the commercial and rec is not allowed to fish before they have their quotas ( in times of low abundance). How is this not clear to you ? Its black and white. High level FN leaders have said in the past publicly that they dont want non-FN fishing for salmon. It doesnt get any more clear than that. Put the pipe down.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »

Side note, did any of you people know that if you are born into the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, you recover $1000 a year from birth. It's set aside in a trust fund till you reach 18 years. If you decide to attend university, the nation pays you your living expenses and tuition. Talk about token.
Why do you bring this up in a conversation about sturgeon regs? Is it to stir up anti-FN sentiment?

On a side note, I think it'a great that bands are lowering the barriers for FN kids to get educated. The high school graduation rate for FN kids is about 20% lower than the general population so any help, financial or otherwise, is great news :D