Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Public Fishery Alliance on strategies to address impacts of Pinnipeds  (Read 1360 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

Very much worth the short read: https://publicfisheryalliance.ca/blog/

Cheers,
Nog

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Public Fishery Alliance on strategies to address impacts of Pinnipeds
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:26:25 PM »

i agree with the article. when i attend the steelhead meeting i heard so much info on the damage that pinnipeds but no clear path forward in addressing this issue. if their is cultural value for first nations to harvest then they should be aloud to do so. i think with the present landscape of how people view pinnipeds the only way forward is to let first nations harvest them.

for people that dont fish local waters. this is the log booms they are referring to. like a seal hotel every time you cruise by. this is the north arm of the fraser.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:18:24 PM »

There are large numbers of harbour seals for sure.
On these log booms these are H S. in the pic.
They are in a crowd for mating  ?
As that is when they get in a group or get together....
Or are they gathered to chow down ?
Remember the sea lion that pulled the Chinese girl off the wharf?
( Steveston )
She did get a small cut from a slight bite as it grabbed the dress.
She had to go to the hospital for meds or shot because seal bites can give ya some type of infection.
About a month ago heard some loud marine barking...so it had to be a sea lion. ( near Stevestion )
Are sea lion populations building up in the Fraser river area ?
Anyone know.
Some sea lions along west coast have at time been aggressive...bite people....but it's not the norm.
But they can be playful I guess.
I mean if there were 10 or so just in a five mile area around Steveston would you kayak at slank tide ?
One one these suckers could grab you and pull ya into the water !!!  :o

But definately these harbour seals for sure are building and should be controlled.
High power rifle but have to take shot within 25 yds so it is a deadly shot.
Quick kill.
If shot too far and seal moves as shot is taken then it just leads to a lot of injured seals ...
If sea lions are here in the 100s ( southern straight. ) and building...these guys are big ...and must eat a lot.  Imagine crabs / salmon etc.... 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:20:18 PM by A-BOATER »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:25:52 AM »

there are some items in the blog post that are not completely consistent with other information that is freely available.

- seal populations have been stable for close 30 years , major increases were more or less over by the late 80s to early 90s.and in the Salish Sea increased about 3x the population levels of the early 70s. Most other researchers believe the current level is now about consistent with historic population levels.

- the increase has also increased populations of Transient Biggs Killer Whales that predate on seals and there is some evidence these marine predators inhibit seal feeding when they are present.

- industrialization and modification of estuary zones has concentrated smolt out migration, removed natural protective structures and via dredging has opened much of these waterways to seal predation.

- there is documented evidence that pinniped  predation takes a much larger % of outbound hatchery smolts than wild. Higher hatchery production may have increased both seal predation and production.

Limited FN harvests are likely the easiest route to go given that at some rivers will need hatchery enhancement due to lost or damaged habitat. In the longer term improvement of estuary environment and reform of hatchery procedures may also be a way of reducing the impact of seal predation.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.