Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160922 times)

96XJ

Sure sometimes, but I think "every time" is a little overstated.       

Remember Brian Fantana from Anchorman , 60% of the time it works every time

psd1179

• Old Timer

Remember Brian Fantana from Anchorman , 60% of the time it works every time

It won't happen in Vedder. If a fly fisherman found a piece of frog water that he can catch freely, there will be another 20 rods show up. At least 6 floats will always in front of the casting area, another bunch of casting spook the fish. and I can garantee the fly fisherman cannot catch anything.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:38:18 PM by psd1179 »

milo

• Old Timer

It won't happen in Vedder. If a fly fisherman found a piece of frog water that he can catch freely, there will be another 20 rods show up. At least 6 floats will always in front of the casting area, another bunch of casting spook the fish. and I can garantee the fly fisherman cannot catch anything.

True enough, but don't garantee it Mr. Psd. I've taken fish on the fly at the low end of runs, and when some people tried to low hole me, they ended with a fly in their waders. "Oops!!! Sorry, bad cast!"
Two or three "bad" casts and they get the message. 😉

And yes, Clarki, "every time" is indeed an overstatement.
I was visualizing some long gone backwaters that were quite frustrating for the roe-chucking crowd.
Clarki, I'd like to fish with you one day if you don't mind. We would have a great conversation. Artificials only, of course. ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:56:23 PM by milo »

poper

Thats great combat fishing, any holes in the waders they will move.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:22:54 PM by poper »

wooly bugger

True enough, but don't garantee it Mr. Psd. I've taken fish on the fly at the low end of runs, and when some people tried to low hole me, they ended with a fly in their waders. "Oops!!! Sorry, bad cast!"
Two or three "bad" casts and they get the message. 😉

what a great idea lol.... I'll keep that in mind for the day I'm finally confident enough to fly fish the Vedder!

Back on topic - buddy of mine just came back from a few hours on the Vedder today.  He said he pre-dominantly fished the lower parts, water levels were good and clarity was "pretty clear".  He had no bites and said it was a very slow day, observing one chum hookup.

Same buddy caught 2 coho's while I had a nothing burger all day when we were last there a week ago.

FWIW, he was using roe last time and this time.

milo

• Old Timer

Thats great combat fishing, any holes in the waders they will move.

Yes, but don't abuse it. Fly and gear don't mix well on the same run. This is OK to do only if you are fishing a tailout that was being overlooked and they start casting into your (already shallow) swing area after they see you hook up. Leave the deeper water to the gear guys - at least on the Vedder when it is crowded.

essyoo

so with all the rain this week and the level looking still pretty high, will it be a challenging weekend to fish? Is there still coho in the lower river or is it time to move up? I'd love to catch a spring as well this season, is there still a decent chance of that as well?

CohoJake

• Old Timer

so with all the rain this week and the level looking still pretty high, will it be a challenging weekend to fish? Is there still coho in the lower river or is it time to move up? I'd love to catch a spring as well this season, is there still a decent chance of that as well?
That's the $10,000 question, isn't it?  Previous years the lower river has been good for coho at least to the end of October.  The latest I've caught a chrome spring is about October 28, a few years ago by Peach rd.  This year that should be very possible with the good numbers of fresh springs that have kept rolling in.   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

A real rain and wind storm today, blew me off the river this am. The river looked like it was going out when I last looked. Lots of leafs or leaves in the river too. But the weather is improving now and should come back by tomorrow but one never knows for sure, off to a badminton tournament at VRC in Vancouver so will leave the fish for you.

psd1179

• Old Timer

If some one fish in lower canal today, would we call them heroes or nuts?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

If some one fish in lower canal today, would we call them heroes or nuts?

The canal is bank to bank. Definitely they're nuts or suicidal

Parasoul

Call me both. Saw one coloured up Chum powering up the side and that was all there was in the 2 hours of wind and rising water. Leaves every jig retrieve.

salmonrook

Had the day off so of course had to go fish .
 Wow didnt realize it was so high.
 Canal was deserted and river was high and cloudy. Mid river visibility wasn't bad 1 -2 feet but of course fast and lots of debris.
 Saw a few jumpers but that was it , no one was getting anything.
 Figured that 4 days would have been enough for clarity,but no, it looked like the Fraser.
 Still sun was pleasant and beats a day at work .
 How many days do you think until its clearer ?

DanL

• Old Timer

Figured that 4 days would have been enough for clarity,but no, it looked like the Fraser.
 Still sun was pleasant and beats a day at work .
 How many days do you think until its clearer ?

It was muddy/high from the big storm yesterday morning, not from 4 days ago. A day or so is usually enough to clear up enough for fishing if no more rain. This weekend and next week should have good conditions

fic

• Old Timer

Long line released 2 chums today. Canal is still bank to bank water. Saw a coho jack landed. Coho season done? Seemed like lots of chums moving through for a few hours.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:31:27 PM by fic »