Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 157440 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Hey BS - You'll have to update us on the status of the warranty/repair.  I believe that is a Sage XP?  Sage has a "new" policy with respect to repairing rods that have been discontinued for more than 10 years.  I can't remember when the Z-Axis replaced the XP.  Sorry to hear you broke your rod buddy.

..and what is that policy and where is it on the Sage website?

Just had a look at their warranty page and there is no mention of such a policy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Ouch - did you at least break it on a fish?
Good eyes CJ.  I have another clue, is on the fly.  Check out the gap, now that ought to come from a bigsnag LOL.
It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Thanks for all the excellent tips guys. 

What is the best way to make a clean cut on graphite?
It ain't the roe bro'

psd1179

• Old Timer

Thanks for all the excellent tips guys. 

What is the best way to make a clean cut on graphite?

Utility knife, roll and cut

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I have heard a dremel style cutting wheel recommended.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer

I have heard a dremel style cutting wheel recommended.

Agree, safe and efficient.

chironomidking

Hey BS - You'll have to update us on the status of the warranty/repair.  I believe that is a Sage XP?  Sage has a "new" policy with respect to repairing rods that have been discontinued for more than 10 years.  I can't remember when the Z-Axis replaced the XP.  Sorry to hear you broke your rod buddy.

I just got my XP tip replaced last month.  The rod was purchased in the mid 90's and has now been replaced (both butt and top sections) 5 times.  Cost $248 CAD for the tip replacement and the color match was pure crap (should have 'broken' the butt too so I would have a match) but it is still less than 1/2 the price of a new Sage One.  Not sure if I will continue to pay that kind of money for a rod with a warranty that is not really a warranty anymore.  It's a shame because Sage used to be top notch.  Maybe its time to give up my XPs and move on to a manufacturer with a better warranty - any recommendations out there for a rod that has the characteristics of the XP?

milo

• Old Timer

Maybe its time to give up my XPs and move on to a manufacturer with a better warranty - any recommendations out there for a rod that has the characteristics of the XP?

No fly rod of today comes even close to the original Sage XP.
My 8962 will only be taken off my cold, dead hands one day.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Found it slow this morning but did not fish long, missed one, saw none caught, evening is better in this spot with the incoming tide, water very clear.. Got a good sized coho jack salmon last night, clipped and lost a good sized coho salmon.It is not too busy where I fished but it will be this weekend. The Blue Cup had a long line there this morning. I imagine they will be there 3 hours before daylight tomorrow. I cleaned up some garbage and got $7 worth of tins so was a good day.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Found it slow this morning but did not fish long, missed one, saw none caught, evening is better in this spot with the incoming tide, water very clear.. Got a good sized coho jack salmon last night, clipped and lost a good sized coho salmon.It is not too busy where I fished but it will be this weekend. The Blue Cup had a long line there this morning. I imagine they will be there 3 hours before daylight tomorrow. I cleaned up some garbage and got $7 worth of tins so was a good day.

3 hours ? Try 5 even 7. I know guys that will show up to a hole at midnight because another group shows up at 2am. No joke

wookie

Ya they do, old rods are now considered "classic" models .... I just warranted an early 90's GFL III bank and it cost me 200 US with shipping.  then I had to build the tip section again.... mine was one of the last years on the list but imagine it will be bumped off in a few more years.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

The last time I had one of my Sps repaired I was told that many of the mandrills were worn out and if that was the case with my rod I would get what Sage deemed was the equivalent current model as a replacement which is consistent with their policy, past and present. In my situation that wasn't the case and I paid the standard repair charge. From what I have read some owners have paid an extra charge ($150 US) to replace 'classic' models. Others found the existing policy applied while others got a new rod from the current line up. There is nothing on line from Sage that I found.

GordJ

The last time I had one of my Sps repaired I was told that many of the mandrills were worn out and if that was the case with my rod I would get what Sage deemed was the equivalent current model as a replacement which is consistent with their policy, past and present. In my situation that wasn't the case and I paid the standard repair charge. From what I have read some owners have paid an extra charge ($150 US) to replace 'classic' models. Others found the existing policy applied while others got a new rod from the current line up. There is nothing on line from Sage that I found.
I took a friends 8 wt. XP in for warranty and I believe the price was in the $270 area. And M and Y has to fight with Sage to get the $50 "International" fee waived.

psd1179

• Old Timer

I took a friends 8 wt. XP in for warranty and I believe the price was in the $270 area. And M and Y has to fight with Sage to get the $50 "International" fee waived.

The best way is ship the whole rod in US to sage and let them ship back to a US address. For one thing it is cheaper, another thing is for the chance to be replaced by a new rod.

juno