Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160887 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

If it was not for the vedder all the tackle shops in the valley would be closed and out of business.

Ever since the river changed course on the chehalis all the fish swim right up to the hatchery.  Yeah some clipped coho do swim up but not as many as used to. The fishery has been completely ruined.  There is holes on the Chehalis that do provide decent catches but you have to risk breaking your neck to get to them only to have guys now come pontoon right though your hole your letting rest. 

The other streams on the north side of the fraser are not guaranteed fisheries like the vedder can be. So after people fish a season of them they tend not to fish as much.  One of my friends last year fished dudney slough and caught 1 coho after 20 outings.  Likewise went to the vedder and caught 3 his first time out. yes luck i know but still.

on the southside such as the little campbell they have very short migration windows.  That if you don't no the timing and fish them after a monsoon they will be void.

What the Chilliwack hatchery has been able to produce year after year is nothing short of amazing IMO.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:23:22 PM by wildmanyeah »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

If it was not for the vedder all the tackle shops in the valley would be closed and out of business.

Ever since the river changed course on the chehalis all the fish swim right up to the hatchery.  Yeah some clipped coho do swim up but not as many as used to. The fishery has been completely ruined.  There is holes on the Chehalis that do provide decent catches but you have to risk breaking your neck to get to them only to have guys now come pontoon right though your hole your letting rest. 

The other streams on the north side of the fraser are not guaranteed fisheries like the vedder can be. So after people fish a season of them they tend not to fish as much.  One of my friends last year fished dudney slough and caught 1 coho after 20 outings.  Likewise went to the vedder and caught 3 his first time out. yes luck i know but still.

on the southside such as the little campbell they have very short migration windows.  That if you don't no the timing and fish them after a monsoon they will be void.

What the Chilliwack hatchery has been able to produce year after year is nothing short of amazing IMO.

I agree.

fishdreamer

Yikes, suddenly the Chilliwack/Vedder River is a poop show after one incident is being reported, a couple of days of limiting out and some garbage is found. ;D Best to avoid it! ;)

For the most part, I'd have to say that I have seen a significant improvement on the quality of the fishery and behaviours of anglers in the past two decades. Saturday I popped down to the canal briefly and accessed a run that had at least 40 people along it. I "squeezed in between a couple of people who I knew, and someone else then came in ten feet above me. I wasn't going to get offended, but realizing that it is what it is, most of the people do not have the luxury to fish all the time so they are just trying to enjoy the day and catch some fish. Everyone in that run was fishing properly and just about everyone was hauling in coho salmon. Unmarked fish were released right away in the water, the atmosphere was great!

Certainly it isn't for everyone, the ideal scenario would be to fish in solitude when enjoying the outdoors but this is one of the few put and take fisheries left next to Metro Vancouver where over 2 million people call home. It is going to get busy during the peak of the season. This also does not condone what Gil_Tea experienced on the weekend. The point is that not all crowds are bad, majority of the anglers are out there doing the right thing but a few bad apples can ruin the day for sure. While I was having a great time fishing last week, I saw more experienced anglers helping out people who obviously had no idea what they were doing and they ended up catching coho because of that. I saw female anglers fishing and catching fishing in the crowd with their space being respected. I think the Vedder River is how you want it to be. If you come out here to fish and focus on the negatives, you undoubtedly will find it. If you approach it with a positive mindset and intend to also help others, then you'll have a great day.

Regarding garbage, I think the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Society has done an amazing job. Imagine if this organization was not started back in 2001 by anglers, how much more garbage would have accumulated in this watershed. We need to keep having these cleanups, keep educating the young minds so their behaviours are correct from the start, keep being vigilant and report all violations to weed out those who are ruining it for the rest of us.

Back to river conditions, it's slowly on the rise now after last night's rain, but it should hold... hopefully! The weather forecast for the rest of the week looks great, which should lead up to a good Thanksgiving weekend of fishing for everyone.

Good post Rod. As in life we see what we choose to see in large part. Sure there are times when things go sideways but for the most part it is how you see the world that shapes your attitude. Some choose to dwell on the negative. Some need to vent a spleen. That’s fine. Whatever you choose.

milo

• Old Timer

I am impressed this year with the amount of people I've seen fishing the proper way in getting fish to bite rather than resorting to flossing methods.  This is making it difficult for me because now when I fish a run, I have way more competition as everyone is shortfloating roe and catching them before I do.

Hey Strat, I've solved that problem 5 years ago when I stopped using naturals and switched to artificials only. Sure, nothing beats a good chunk of roe, but surprisingly, more often than not, when everybody is drifting roe in a run, and you are the only one offering something different, fish will respond positively to it. Countless times I've caught salmon shortfloating a tuff of yarn or a single egg, not to mention a jig or colorado blade under the float when roe simply wasn't producing.

Buster

• I'm a llama!

Any river condition updates? The shows the level has shot up significantly.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Here is a photo from the upper river around late afternoon today.

With the cold night and dry weather ahead of us, it should recover pretty fast.

bigfish70

It didn't take long for that water to rise. I love it when the river is higher and hovers at 2.0 meters. Should come into shape quickly.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Yikes, suddenly the Chilliwack/Vedder River is a poop show after one incident is being reported, a couple of days of limiting out and some garbage is found. ;D Best to avoid it! ;)

For the most part, I'd have to say that I have seen a significant improvement on the quality of the fishery and behaviours of anglers in the past two decades. Saturday I popped down to the canal briefly and accessed a run that had at least 40 people along it. I "squeezed in between a couple of people who I knew, and someone else then came in ten feet above me. I wasn't going to get offended, but realizing that it is what it is, most of the people do not have the luxury to fish all the time so they are just trying to enjoy the day and catch some fish. Everyone in that run was fishing properly and just about everyone was hauling in coho salmon. Unmarked fish were released right away in the water, the atmosphere was great!

Certainly it isn't for everyone, the ideal scenario would be to fish in solitude when enjoying the outdoors but this is one of the few put and take fisheries left next to Metro Vancouver where over 2 million people call home. It is going to get busy during the peak of the season. This also does not condone what Gil_Tea experienced on the weekend. The point is that not all crowds are bad, majority of the anglers are out there doing the right thing but a few bad apples can ruin the day for sure. While I was having a great time fishing last week, I saw more experienced anglers helping out people who obviously had no idea what they were doing and they ended up catching coho because of that. I saw female anglers fishing and catching fishing in the crowd with their space being respected. I think the Vedder River is how you want it to be. If you come out here to fish and focus on the negatives, you undoubtedly will find it. If you approach it with a positive mindset and intend to also help others, then you'll have a great day.

Regarding garbage, I think the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Society has done an amazing job. Imagine if this organization was not started back in 2001 by anglers, how much more garbage would have accumulated in this watershed. We need to keep having these cleanups, keep educating the young minds so their behaviours are correct from the start, keep being vigilant and report all violations to weed out those who are ruining it for the rest of us.

Back to river conditions, it's slowly on the rise now after last night's rain, but it should hold... hopefully! The weather forecast for the rest of the week looks great, which should lead up to a good Thanksgiving weekend of fishing for everyone.
Went to this run this afternoon and cleaned up some garbage, was not to bad. When out on the sandbar only got one or two pieces of garbage, maybe it got washed away as the tidal effect covers the bar at high tide. A fellow there was catching a few jack coho salmon. The down part I found a dead chinook doe some one had tossed in the grass with the roe all gone, slit open. I wonder who did this will see this post?

Also while on the last hunting trip I found a cooler full of rotting trout, will send picture off to the CO sevice.

It is amazing what one finds when cleaning up garbage. I also found a nice filiting knife but it was at another site away from th Vedder, also a pile of needles, most unopened. :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Conditions are good this morning. A little on the high side with 2ft of visibility.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

seen this posted on FB

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:05:04 AM by wildmanyeah »

Dave

• Old Timer

haha!!  and you thought the river was crowded last weekend ;)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I don't know if it can get any busier than it would be anyway - multiple derbies and and a holiday weekend.  I like how it that pic it looks like they only gutted one fish - makes me think they ran out of roe in the middle of fishing and had to start using fresh roe from their catch!  I've done that . . .

milo

• Old Timer

I love it!  :D
The more people flock to the Vedder, the better the chances to find solitude on other coho-producing streams.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Hey Strat, I've solved that problem 5 years ago when I stopped using naturals and switched to artificials only. Sure, nothing beats a good chunk of roe, but surprisingly, more often than not, when everybody is drifting roe in a run, and you are the only one offering something different, fish will respond positively to it. Countless times I've caught salmon shortfloating a tuff of yarn or a single egg, not to mention a jig or colorado blade under the float when roe simply wasn't producing.

im actually surprised at how well a twitched jig works compared to roe.  Which is why I frequently bring my twitching rod as well.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

im actually surprised at how well a twitched jig works compared to roe.  Which is why I frequently bring my twitching rod as well.

That's all I do these day. They always bite the twitch at any time of day. The only time I wake up early to salmon fish is to time a tide. Other than that theres no need for a first light bite. The jig is king