Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 157398 times)

buck

My HERO, can I get your autograph.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Had my first coho jack on this evening and missed 2, have I missed the best part of the run now Rodney while I was away hunting, is it over early this year? ;D The water was looking so great and I had Master's roe he had cured up, as I used all the roe I had catching spring jacks in the ten day opening that was negoiated by some letter writng to FOC by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and presiden Dean Werk, good work Dean. Thanks to the Nicomen F/N chief and council for their support of this rec fishery. This run is so strong as it has been for several years with limits obtained in 15 miutes at times.

It was a bit cool this evening so the water will be prime tomorrow with the snow level doun fairly low. I better get out before the coho salmon season ends as I would like to get one as well the Auston Matthews DNE float would like to be part of the action too. Speaking of floats I found 10 today and saw numerous ones float by. My float collection is in the  hundreds once again if not a thousand or more. Good for a upcoming used tackle sale. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:56:39 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Still at least four more weeks of good coho fishing left! ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Still at least four more weeks of good coho fishing left! ;D
Good to know. I fished the canal from the raft yesterday morning but too much water, have to get you to guide me like Jon B. and I did to you in 2001 at S. T. when you were learning where to fish the C.V. and with an upside down reel too.lol :D :D :D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Hey Chris.  I met the "master" fishing last week. We talked about the jack spring fishery and how it opened for a short period.  I missed it!!!  I see on DFO's website under region 3 (the table), they put that opening under the South Thompson which doesn't make any sense to me (since the opening was not the South Thompson).  In fact, I missed it as I periodically checked for the opening under the Thompson which still states no fishing for chinook from Apr 1 - Mar 31.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region3-eng.html

Anyway, we had a great day fishing last week, and I really enjoyed meeting the "master" and his buddy.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hey Chris.  I met the "master" fishing last week. We talked about the jack spring fishery and how it opened for a short period.  I missed it!!!  I see on DFO's website under region 3 (the table), they put that opening under the South Thompson which doesn't make any sense to me (since the opening was not the South Thompson).  In fact, I missed it as I periodically checked for the opening under the Thompson which still states no fishing for chinook from Apr 1 - Mar 31.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region3-eng.html

Anyway, we had a great day fishing last week, and I really enjoyed meeting the "master" and his buddy.

The entire DFO's sport fishing regulation website is poorly structured and updated when there are new openings and closures. The best thing to do is to subscribe to the fishery notices and receive them by email:

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

You can filter the notices so you only receive the ones which would interest you (eg. recreational salmon, recreation finfish other than salmon, region 1, 2, 3, etc).

-----

Popped out briefly tonight and hooked a coho right away but the main line snapped shortly after the hook-up. I probably should have checked it since last week... I then discovered that I didn't bring swivels, so spent the next 15 minutes looking for a swivel on the river bank. ::) No other bites after that, a few coho salmon could be seen rolling. I also saw a really fresh chinook salmon being caught. River is steadily dropping and conditions should be pretty awesome for the weekend anglers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:44:20 PM by Rodney »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Thanks Rodney.  Yes, I subscribe to the notices, but was relying on myself checking the region 3 table through Aug - Sep.  I just didn't see that they put the opening under "South Thompson".  I will be looking for those notices more frequently now.   ;)

Its amazing how fast that water comes up, then drops!  I cancelled a vacation day Tuesday because of what I predicted may happen due to the rain.  Instead, I fished Monday and had an excellent day.  Only problem now is the four coho in my fridge I have yet to process, but it's still not as many as Rodney has had to deal with all at once... ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

The South Thompson opening is a separate opening actually. I didn't check when that section of the Thompson opened so I don't know if it was published correctly on the page or not.

Yeah it was all fun and laugh catching those fish last week, but I ended up being the only one processing them! That's ok, it actually doesn't happen very often, the catching that is. ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer

It was NOT a good day.

Those of you with sharp eyes will see why.  What am I going to use for the next 2 months!
It ain't the roe bro'

CohoJake

• Old Timer

It was NOT a good day.

Those of you with sharp eyes will see why.  What am I going to use for the next 2 months!
Ouch - did you at least break it on a fish?

armytruck

• Old Timer

Just hot glue a new one on for the rest of the season  :P
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

milo

• Old Timer

It was NOT a good day.

Big Snag, it doesn't look like a big deal to me considering that the snapped tip is less than a couple inches long. Just take the top guide of the broken tip off and glue it on to the rest of the top section. You will end up with a rod that is only about 2 inches shorter than the original. You won't even notice the difference when casting.
Once the season is over, you can decide whether to send the rod in for a replacement top section or just continue fishing it as it is.

Still a good day in my books. :)

clarki

• Old Timer

I have a spare rod you can borrow, BS. I’ll just need to know where on the river to meet you  ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Big Snag, it doesn't look like a big deal to me considering that the snapped tip is less than a couple inches long. Just take the top guide of the broken tip off and glue it on to the rest of the top section. You will end up with a rod that is only about 2 inches shorter than the original. You won't even notice the difference when casting.
Once the season is over, you can decide whether to send the rod in for a replacement top section or just continue fishing it as it is.

Still a good day in my books. :)

Looks like the blank may have split at the top in which case that may not work.

When I snapped the top 2 inches  off one of my Sage's, I got a new top piece and the old top back with the tip top reattached so I finished up with 2 tips for one rod.

Me, I'd just buy am inexpensive rod for $60 to $120 bucks or so and use that until the new one comes back.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Hey BS - You'll have to update us on the status of the warranty/repair.  I believe that is a Sage XP?  Sage has a "new" policy with respect to repairing rods that have been discontinued for more than 10 years.  I can't remember when the Z-Axis replaced the XP.  Sorry to hear you broke your rod buddy.