Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pikeminnow Demonstration Fishery And Outing On The Fraser River.  (Read 12233 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Pikeminnow Demonstration Fishery And Outing On The Fraser River.
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »

I dont understand how hard it is to impose gear restrictions on the Fraser. It seems ridiculous why we cant do this.

Because in order to put in the gear restrictions necessary they need to amend the BC sports fishing act. This take an act of parliament to be done.

However the current closures have ZERO to do with the gear we use and even if we went 100% selective gear fishing it still would be closed and I quote :

"Regarding  in-river chinook Rec. chinook fisheries, I can tell you that this isn’t something the Dept. will support, given the 2019 salmon season overall and where we are at in meeting First Nation FSC priorities on a broad scale.    For example, there are First Nation communities in parts of the watershed that have not caught a salmon yet this year.  I don’t think there’s much utility at this point in discussing gear-specifics as the door for Fraser R. main stem Rec. chinook fisheries remains firmly closed."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »

It's part of the Regulations of the Fisheries Act but not a separate act itself.; https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/page-1.html#docCont

there will be a matching Provincial Regulation under the relevant act.

Regulations don't require an Act of Parliament to change. The Fisheries Act does say they regulations can be altered by an order of the Governor In Council - which means the Prime Minister and Cabinet. I'd also guess there would be a consultation process. In some cases the Minister has the authority to alter regulations. The number of people who oppose tackle restrictions is quite large, probably many times larger than the number who bar fish between Chilliwack and Hope.

OK WMY who is responsible for your quoted material?  I have seen it before but don't remember which official made that statement

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2019, 11:05:53 AM »

It's part of the Regulations of the Fisheries Act but not a separate act itself.; https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/page-1.html#docCont

there will be a matching Provincial Regulation under the relevant act.

Regulations don't require an Act of Parliament to change. The Fisheries Act does say they regulations can be altered by an order of the Governor In Council - which means the Prime Minister and Cabinet. I'd also guess there would be a consultation process. In some cases the Minister has the authority to alter regulations. The number of people who oppose tackle restrictions is quite large, probably many times larger than the number who bar fish between Chilliwack and Hope.

OK WMY who is responsible for your quoted material?  I have seen it before but don't remember which official made that statement

yes you are correct the Act can be ammended like this like they did with electronic recording vs in ink http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2019/2019-04-03/html/sor-dors76-eng.html

was told this path was not possible for leader lengths, IF you recall the leader length regulation was suppose to be put in an Omnibus Bill package.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42462.msg401343#msg401343

"As discussed, the following is an email thread regarding the ability to vary leader length. Chris Manore was able to get permission to put into the Omnibus Bill package the ability to vary leader length. The start of this thread regarding the (23:00 h to 24:00 h  close time) is just operational and nothing to be concerned about."

Don't no what ever happened to this but also Bill C-68 is also suppose to have the ability to do it and enforce it,

sumasriver

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2019, 11:47:43 AM »

I dont understand how hard it is to impose gear restrictions on the Fraser. It seems ridiculous why we cant do this.

I think you misunderstood me.  I understand the huge positive environmental impact of pink salmon.

My point is that i am willing to miss a few pink years of fishing in the fraser .... if it can help boost  coho, chinook, sockeye numbers.... and pink numbers back to healthier / more positive levels...

When salmon stocks are threatened....  action needs to be taken.

Getting rid of pen fish farms should also be under consideration.  Farmed salmon tastes so bad i don't know how people can even it.....