Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pikeminnow Demonstration Fishery And Outing On The Fraser River.  (Read 12318 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

The Fraser Valley Salmon Society is putting this all together for Labour Day Monday September 2 at Island 22. This will be out on one of the bars. At the present time a press release is being put together that will give all the details. We hope to have a corn roast and some other goodies too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:00:56 AM by chris gadsden »

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Pikeminnow Demonstration Fishery And Outing On The Fraser River.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »

Sounds very interesting!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »

Did you ask permission from the pertinent
First Nations? Seems only right if your gonna be on their traditional fishing grounds?

Better yet is their a way to include them?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »

Did you ask permission from the pertinent
First Nations? Seems only right if your gonna be on their traditional fishing grounds?

Better yet is their a way to include them?

I ask permission everytime I fish the Harrion. I make sure to kiss the hand of the chief before I take my boat out. Even at the beginning of every Mission Chamber meeting we make sure to bless the local tribe. After all, we are ALL on their traditional territory one way or another. We're just evil children of colonists.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:58:46 AM »

I'll look for the press release for more information, but in the meantime, what is a pikeminnow demonstration fishery? Will this be a catch and release fishery, or catch and kill?   

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »

can you make it clear what this is as ive now seen people speculating on social media.

Is this an actually pikeminnow derby or is it a bar fishery pink and chinook protest fishery.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »

Press release is just done and is being circulated first to media and we will get it up here ASAP.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »

For now we will be meeting at Island 22 boat launch at 9:30 when all details how the event will run.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »

Fraser Valley Salmon Society

We will be gathering at the Island 22 boat launch at 9:30 AM to receive instructions from Dean Werk how the fishery will proceed. Make sure you bring your own boat and gear to be fishing for coarse fish only, bring your family as it is a great fishery for children too. Coffee and donuts will be provided.

Coarse Fish Demonstration September 2nd 2019

The press release

The Fraser Valley Salmon Society is holding a coarse fish demonstration fishery on Monday, September 2 at Island 22 in Chilliwack. The demonstration fishery will begin at 10 a.m. and conclude at 1:00 p.m. The species being fished for include Pike Minnow, Pea Mouth Chub and common suckers—all coarse fish.
The Fraser Valley Salmon Society represents the recreational angler and is frustrated over the lack of fishing opportunity. The “no trout fishing” regulation for the Fraser River which went into effect on August 15 effectively removed one of the only remaining fisheries for the recreational fisher. Fishing for coarse fish is now one of the only fishing opportunities remaining for this group. This latest closure decision borders on the absurd.
Recent decisions by both provincial and federal ministries responsible have proven to be ineffective in fisheries management. This latest edict again targets the recreational fisher and was implemented without any consultation or scientific evidence that it will result in protection of our valuable fish stocks. That the Fraser Valley Salmon Society is extremely disappointed in the closure of trout fishing on the Fraser River is an understatement. Agencies that made that decision need to do better.
The Fraser Valley Salmon Society supports the closure for salmon fishing when based on good science and in no way plans to pursue that fishery until regulations permit. The Society’s mandate is conservation, opportunity and habit protection.
Decision makers have not considered the fact that the public has right to simply recreate. The coarse fish demonstration fishery will provide that opportunity for men, women and children. Recreation fishing is truly a family activity.
For further information on this demonstration fishery contact the President of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society, Dean Werk, at 604.991.3474 or info@greatriverfishing.com
Sincerely,
Dean Werk Fraser Valley Salmon Society President

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »

Chris did you ever think you would see the day it would come to this.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 08:36:15 PM »

I have seen a lot in 76 years, it is the politics that do not help. I could write a book and relate all I have seen dealing with fishing and environmental issues for many years. Thanks for your contribution to this forum. Off to bed as have been working on this with a few others since 7Am this morning. Having the Leaf Mobile break down after covering the Peacemakers event witn Cheam F/N did not help, glad it was not up in the bush while hunting or fishing.

blueback

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »

And we all owe you a debt of gratitude for all the work you've done over the years Chris!! Thanks to you, sir!!!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 11:47:03 PM »

I was not raised in the Fraser Valley, so fishing the Fraser River for salmon is not part of my family history, nor is my livelihood dependent on it. But for some it is, and I respect and understand that. I also support demonstration fisheries as a form of protest; shoot, I even support civil disobedience.

However I do disagree with this statement in the press release "Decision makers have not considered the fact that the public has right to simply recreate" The issue of rights is used a lot, and mostly, as in this case, incorrectly.

To lump together rights and recreation/fishing is a false premise. Recreation isn't a right, nor is it even a freedom (if we use the narrow def'n of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms)  Let's call it an ability. We have the ability to recreate. But at the same time the state can limit that ability for the public good.

I have the ability to recreate by camping, but at times I am limited and not allowed to have a campfire. I have the ability to recreate by motorbiking, but at times I am limited when I am not allowed to take a motorized vehicle into the back country. I have the ability to recreate by fishing but at times I am limited when I am not allowed to fish for certain species when and where I want to.  But heck if you insist that you have the right to recreate, then go ahead and recreate, just do it umpteen other ways that don't involve fishing for salmon and trout in the Fraser.

I would suggest that the angling community does itself no good in the public eye when it asserts "rights".  That's just a yawner to me. I get that people are disappointed, that livelihoods are suffering and that the decision may be politically based on bad science, but it's wrong move to play the rights card.

"Decision makers have not considered the fact that the public has right to simply recreate" is just a bad sentence overall.  You don't know what they considered or what they didn't. Just cuz  the decision didn't go your way doesn't mean they didn't consider it. It's like when my son says to me "you aren't listening to me" My reply "Oh I'm listening, I just disagree" :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 09:59:38 AM »

Chilliwack Progress story by Jennifer Feinberg just out. Also a number of prize draws of rods etc. will be held to those taking part. Also some bait will be provided.

https://www.theprogress.com/news/demonstration-fishery-puts-lack-of-fishing-opportunities-on-the-fraser-in-focus/?fbclid=IwAR3X7m_IL269a2bqLgTEOLkvJ-f89kSdSVUUbZdAeLKa-amfMX6JUyhyWt4

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »

I agree with shining a spotlight on the lack of rec fishing opportunities on the Fraser River. Good job guys. I grew up fishing the Fraser River for salmon.