Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pikeminnow Demonstration Fishery And Outing On The Fraser River.  (Read 12335 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Pikeminnow Demonstration Fishery And Outing On The Fraser River.
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »

Long ago we have entered the scarcity mindset.
Everyone is pointing their fingers at everyone else but nobody is pointing their finger at the right issue.
Over fishing, over hunting, over exploitation of all resources.
Too many people.
And now that we have very little left everyone is hoarding.
It's pathetic.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 10:32:37 AM »

Long ago we have entered the scarcity mindset.
Everyone is pointing their fingers at everyone else but nobody is pointing their finger at the right issue.
Over fishing, over hunting, over exploitation of all resources.
Too many people.
And now that we have very little left everyone is hoarding.
It's pathetic.

This years pink run is going to be 5+ million, The Summer Chinook run is the strongest its been since the early 2000's late 1990 and much stronger then in was in the 1980's.  Yes sockeye is worst ever but its not all doom and gloom.

Yes people are finger pointing but if your wondering why you can't fish for pinks its because that finger pointing is working.

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2019/09/01/showdown-over-salmon-first-nations-along-the-mighty-fraser-want-sport-fishing-closed-near-the-rivers-mouth-to-save-some-species-at-risk-of-extinction.html

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »

Not sure what you are looking then to respond too. They have already sent out multiple emails on this subject and the river is closed to sports fishing because some First Nations on the Fraser have not harvested one salmon yet this season.

Your better off talking to First Nations about it then DFO. There the ones who keep reminding DFO telling them as long as First Nations don’t get fish you can’t open the river to recs.. not even catch and release

This I sent about BB or gear restrictions. I saw an email by DFO stating that even if we went 100% deprive in the lower Fraser they still would not allow it because some First Nations above the slide have not harvested a salmon this year.

Gotta go after the fisheries minister it’s his interpretation of the law that’s causing this mess.

Thanks for all you do Chris and we need as much people in this fight as possible. So say the only chance we have at this point is getting rid of the liberals come October.

The fishery wasn't managed any better under Gail Shea the Conservative Fishery Minister.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »

The rec pink fishery was closed??

sumasriver

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »

Who cares about the pink rec fishery.... ?
Protecting coho / sockeye / steelhead and Chinook is what i care about.....

Losing a a cycle of fishing for pinks is in the big picture... a sacrifice i am prepared to make.

Of course i would prefer fisheries to ask the real question... why coho can not get up the Chehalis .... what changed.... ?    Hint - i don't mean the course of the river......

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »

Losing a a cycle of fishing for pinks is in the big picture... a sacrifice i am prepared to make.

Of course i would prefer fisheries to ask the real question... why coho can not get up the Chehalis .... what changed.... ?    Hint - i don't mean the course of the river......

What you are witnessing has nothing to do with conservation and more to do with the Liberal government's policy towards first nation. That is giving them more of the recreational fishery quota.  It's not a short term policy decision it's a long term one.

Summer chinook are also having great returns not seen in a lot time and yet the rec fishery on the river is closed too. FN fisheries have already harvest 14 thousand chinook that's more then they harvested in 2016 and 2017 for FSC.  One group is harvesting more while the other is shut down for "conservation".

Choose to believe what you want

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »

just in the river - it's open in the chuck and many anglers are complaining that there are too many pinks. It's also open in the Harrison and the Vedder/Chilliwack. It was also closed when the IFC protection measures were introduced in the 90s.

FNs are taking South Thompson chinook to replace the collapse of sockeye returns. There is no evidence otherwise this stock is at some record return. Last year it was less than 40% of the record returns. Overall the better returns of chinook stock reflects the conservation measures taken on the entire BC coast. Stupid to toss that away to please a small number of river anglers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:13:42 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »

FNs are taking South Thompson chinook to replace the collapse of sockeye returns. There is no evidence otherwise this stock is at some record return. Last year it was less than 40% of the record returns. Overall the better returns of chinook stock reflects the conservation measures taken on the entire BC coast. Stupid to toss that away to please a small number of river anglers.

well there's your answer chris & FVSS

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »

well there's your answer chris & FVSS

... of course you fail to consider that an opening will mean hundreds if not thousands of flossers will also get a shot at your 'bonanza' of late summer red springs.

So  much for abundance.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 10:08:02 PM »

... of course you fail to consider that an opening will mean hundreds if not thousands of flossers will also get a shot at your 'bonanza' of late summer red springs.

So  much for abundance.

So you admit their is enough chinook in the river where BB would be an effective method.

You defend the 700 plus fn Gilnets that are our fishing tossing away pinks and sockeye.

But god forbid the evil rec fishermen is out on the bar.

You amaze me
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:51:57 PM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 06:22:09 AM »

Great video and points by Dean, I was not able to attend this boat because honestly i thought you needed a river boat. I did attend the protest at the ministers office early on in the year.

I know where you can get some sign that say "stop the political bargaining with chinook"  altho now that i think about it we probably should of had them say "stop the political bargaining with salmon" as that is whats going on here just like it did in the spring in the ocean.
We changed the location as so many people with families it was better to fish from shore and saved taking all the things in the boat across the river. I am sure we would have had more people if we had announced this earlier, always learning. Thanks for your posts on this.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 06:26:24 AM »

Video 3 of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society Coarse Fish Demonstration with president Dean Werk I filmed On September 2, 2019. Dean gives a wrap up and a message to the govermment. Also when will they get the ocean located Atlantic fish farms out of our Oceans.The present Liberal goverment is now facing moving to the other side of the house now as many are very concerned how Fisheries and Oceans handle the salmon file on many fronts.
Are you listening Fisheries and Oceans staff and Justin Trudeau? Sorry the battery died during the interview but we caught the main message from Dean. https://youtu.be/Q46SRYXoUVQ

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2019, 06:39:51 AM »

LOL! Go troll somewhere else sonny.

Can you engage in a conversation without hysterically stuffing words in my mouth? I didn't mention any of these things and my only point was whatever 'abundance' exists may be due to the earlier restrictions in the chuck.

Bar fishers can speak for themselves but seems to me, almost all are asking for restrictive regs that would discourage bottom bouncing yet DFO has never indicated they would open a salmon fishery under such regulations.

So you admit their is enough chinook in the river where BB would be an effective method.

You defend the 700 plus fn Gilnets that are our fishing tossing away pinks and sockeye.

But god forbid the evil rec fishermen is out on the bar.

You amaze me

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 08:27:32 AM »

Who cares about the pink fishery?

The environment you live in cares. Pinks come in larger numbers than coho and leave a lot more nutrients in the environment.
Even coho care about pinks. They live off the nutrients pinks leave behind.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »

So  much for abundance.

I dont understand how hard it is to impose gear restrictions on the Fraser. It seems ridiculous why we cant do this.