Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally a Leader length?  (Read 7273 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Finally a Leader length?
« on: November 01, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »

It appears we have some good news regarding our proposal for regulating leader length when stocks of concern are present below is an excerpt from an email more details to follow

As discussed, the following is an email thread regarding the ability to vary leader length. Chris Manore was able to get permission to put into the Omnibus Bill package the ability to vary leader length. The start of this thread regarding the (23:00 h to 24:00 h  close time) is just operational and nothing to be concerned about.

The main thing is that Chris has identified that he anticipates that this will be available for use in the summer of 2019. This provides the opportunity on the Fraser River, THAT IF NEEDED, to protect Sockeye that a maximum leader length of 1 meter can be put in place for a specified time and specified place. The wording provides 1 meter or 2 meters in order to ensure that it can be used in other then the Fraser, if needed. For example on the Skeena for a particular leader length. If you have any questions or concerns, please give me a call and I will try to deal with them.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Finally a Leader length?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »

Hopefully they put a fine associated with it other wise DFO will be forced to take a contravention to court.

Good to see they are finally moving on this file

Will be interesting to see how they define what a leader is.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:13:24 PM by wildmanyeah »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »

Who is Chris Manore?

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »

According to my Google results, he is the Chief, Regulation - Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/chris-manore-23731358

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »

According to my Google results, he is the Chief, Regulation - Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/chris-manore-23731358

Thanks

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »

Hopefully they put a fine associated with it other wise DFO will be forced to take a contravention to court.

Good to see they are finally moving on this file

Will be interesting to see how they define what a leader is.

I'm wondering how this would work for fly-fishing.  Especially during an abundant pink run

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »

I'm wondering how this would work for fly-fishing.  Especially during an abundant pink run

Flossing must be done with a fly rod later.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »

I don't know who sets the regs in some Provinces back east but almost all Atlantic Salmon Rivers are fly only in Canada. Some rivers are restricted to floating line only and unweighted flies to prevent unintentional snagging.

If the intent of the reg is to stop bb/flossing on the Fraser when sockeye are not open I don't see an issue since you pretty much never see a fly angler on the river at that time. For pinks a meter or 2 of leader is more than sufficient if you are relying on them actually biting.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »

This is good to hear, however, 1 meter long leader is more than enough to floss on the Fraser? Hell.. I've flossed fish with less than a foot. Forgive my ignorance. I suppose it's better than the regular 20 foot leaders you see?  :o ;D
It will cut down on the casual people that donot know how to angle in a proper fashion, they will give up quickly, watch for lots of equipment for sale if it goes through.

poper

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »

That would apply for fly fishing as well I would think

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »

This is good to hear, however, 1 meter long leader is more than enough to floss on the Fraser? Hell.. I've flossed fish with less than a foot. Forgive my ignorance. I suppose it's better than the regular 20 foot leaders you see?  :o ;D
Yes, it certainly is possible.  I remember fishing at Island 22 in one of the first sockeye openings more than 20 years ago, 2-3 feet was the standard leader length, and we all used pencil lead for weight.  I think for the first few seasons people were under the mistaken impression that these fish were biting.  If it was a pink year, you didn't want a long leader because then you would keep hooking pinks by the hump.  There were even bars where people would float fish with wool, float flossing these fish.  It was in about the year 2002 that we finally saw leaders lengthening, first to 4 feet, then 6, then 9.  It was like the average leader length would increase by a foot or two with each successive opening, and the size of the weights also increased in a similar fashion.  There would be a few people bar fishing on the same bar.  Everyone gave them lots of room and there were no issues.  The bar fishers picked up the occasional sockeye as well. 

Leader length restrictions might keep people from trying to floss fish for a while.  I have a hunch that someone will perfect their meter-leader method and then things will pick up again.  If we think that bar fishing really is a selective method, then you could certainly have a "stationary presentation only" rule that prevented bottom bouncing altogether.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »

Yes that is why fished for them too. It has been a long time since then and glad I gave it up once I new the truth. I always say why would anyone need a fish that bad they have to snag it. Of course a leader length will not stop the dippers in places like the Tamihi Rapids. What a terrible scene there and people will be there in droves tomorrow with the muddy river now. :'( :(

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 08:48:38 PM »

Simple. Floating line with a tip of choice followed with a 2 foot leader. No tippett.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

much will depend how 'leader' is defined. If it's defined as below a weight ... it will have no impact on fly tackle, large spoons, weighted spinners etc.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 09:17:37 PM »

I use a 9' leader on a floating line for pinks.
It ain't the roe bro'