Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018/19 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 60643 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

No update for quite a while. Is water so low & clear and fishing so dead slow that everyone just quits? Lol. Fred's just weighed in another 16 pounder to take the 2nd place in the Derby. I guess if you are lucky, anything can be possible.  :) ;)

bobby b

Not everyone has called it quits.... I still run into quite a few anglers ...even on weekdays.

I still try when I can, just not having much luck.

Drewhill

Don't think anyone is having much luck. Only 5 weighed in so far in March and most of them are tiny.

dave c

Don't think anyone is having much luck. Only 5 weighed in so far in March and most of them are tiny.
I think the reason so many small ones are showing up is due to the slim pickings right now. Normally guys would be putting these back in the hopes of getting something bigger.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

I was there Thursday afternoon. Can't imagine the low water. Some runs literally didn't have enough flow to carry the float downstream and the surface is as smooth as glass. It will take a very hungry or aggressive steelhead to go for anything you offer them with so little flow. Perhaps need to spin spoon, twitch jigs or strip flies to get some more action to the presentation. The water is so low people just cross the river at the shallow tail out at will. Talking about easy access. Lol. Not a fish in sight in the afternoon. I think the big fish will have a hard time going up some shallow bars and that is probably only small fish are coming up.

John Revolver

No update for quite a while. Is water so low & clear and fishing so dead slow that everyone just quits? Lol. Fred's just weighed in another 16 pounder to take the 2nd place in the Derby. I guess if you are lucky, anything can be possible.  :) ;)

so far this is the least trafficked Steelhead conditions thread I've ever seen since joining this forum '13
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:21:52 PM by John Revolver »

psd1179

• Old Timer

so far this is the least trafficed Steelhead conditions thread I've ever seen since joining this forum '13

I fished this saturday morning for 6 hours. The average depth is 1-2 feet. I have waded cross the river numerous times without any difficulty. Very few people around. 

Aki

Went for a couple of hours this afternoon mid to lower river, for the first time this year. Water looks good (although low) and heard of a couple hooked but very quiet for me. Beautiful day though and worth a good walk!

psd1179

• Old Timer

Today is the last day of derby. 

Bingbamboom

Finally,after months of work, I have a day off on Wednesday. Driving from downtown Vancouver and hoping to find out what the river conditions are, and if it’s worth the gas money. Any information would be appreciated.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

It is worth a trip, I think you will find a fish, any day fishing is a better than a day at work.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I thought this warm weather was supposed to colour up the water a bit? ;D
Went for a walk with a rod this afternoon. It's still quite clear and low.

nevertoolate

thinking of going out this week.    Is it all finished there or what?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

It's all finished for those who do not renew their freshwater fishing licence tonight. ;)

For the rest, fishing should be pretty good for a few more weeks. ;D

DBM

I played hooky from work this afternoon and walked the river in several spots from the crossing down to the canal, I didn't have my gear with me so it was more of a scouting trip. 

Water is very low and clear, sunny conditions on top of that probably didn't help the fishing out much.  I'd think if you weren't on the river at first light you're not going to have much luck.  Still a gorgeous day to be out on the water and not at work.