Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Annoucement of Protest Outside Fisheries Minister's office May 1 from 12 to 1 PM  (Read 23079 times)

fic

• Old Timer

how quick we forget what the last conservative government did to the fisheries act to try and speed up the process for pipeline construction. if you think conservatives are actually going to solve any salmon related issues you really have no clue.
So vote for the Liberals again and send them back to power in Ottawa so they can maintain the status quo?
At least if the PC wins this time around and assume they do nothing to help, the next time the Liberals may change their policies when it's their turn again in the future.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

personally i could care less about the rec chinook cuts as long as it is backed by good science and not emotions. this is a fishery that i partake in every year but will hang up the rods if the scientist say so.

now is the time to start the bargaining process with alberta and the feds about the trans mountain pipe line. lets see the investment needed to actually have a first class response along with proper dfo and coast guard funding. im tired of all the talk. talk is cheap. if the $ not their than fight till the bitter end. chances are this pipe line will be built whether we like it or not so we may as well get some investment in protecting what we all enjoy. it also sounds like alot of countries are interested in the northwest passage including the US, china and russia. with the proper investment we could protect our waters and diversify are resource portfolio and make a better canada for everyone.

also lets not forget about the conservative actions that led to coast guard facilities being closed on our coast. like i said if you think the conservatives care about our coast you are out to lunch.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

So vote for the Liberals again and send them back to power in Ottawa so they can maintain the status quo?
At least if the PC wins this time around and assume they do nothing to help, the next time the Liberals may change their policies when it's their turn again in the future.

we dont have time for these political my smelly socks games

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Rob Alcock and others dont want to come out in the media and say it publicly but the Minister said it loud and clear. In order for FN Chinook fishery cuts, the rec sector needs the be shut down. Nobody wants to say FN in this discussion because they're afraid. In reality it all boils down to that. Plain and simple. Doesnt natter where the fish came from. It's in local waters.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Im just going to fish when and where i feel like it.
If its good enough for First Nations then its good enough for me.
Tired of living like a hostage in my own country.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

All stakeholders need to keep there members in check. Commercial, recreational and first nations. With out 100% cooperation on all sides these fish are doomed. If I see you fishing illegally I will call you in.

The fish are going to struggle enough with a warming climate. I have the feeling were in for a long hot dry summer.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

All stakeholders need to keep there members in check. Commercial, recreational and first nations. With out 100% cooperation on all sides these fish are doomed. If I see you fishing illegally I will call you in.

The fish are going to struggle enough with a warming climate. I have the feeling were in for a long hot dry summer.

I would assume rivers in Oregon and California are suffering the same warming as BC rivers. It would be nice to know how warm the Columbia is compared to the Fraser. Those seem to be doing well. Not so much last year but better overall.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/tech/science/environment/2019/03/04/columbia-river-salmon-returns-predicted-poor-half-10-year-average/3054335002/

https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/dec/12/dark-days-ahead-columbia-fish-run-forecasts-arent-good/

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/sports/outdoors/article229299179.html

Rogue River seems to be a bright spot:

https://nativefishsociety.org/news-media/abundant-wild-fall-chinook-salmon-in-the-rogue-show-us-whats-possible

one of the best lessons we can learn from the Rogue is that its fall Chinook are 99% wild salmon. Whereas, neighboring rivers have large hatchery programs that have failed to provide the abundance promised through their hatchery programs, the Rogue’s wild Chinook are self-sustaining and more resilient to the environmental changes that we are seeing today in the marine and freshwater environments. Wild salmon consistently win the survivor contest.

dam removal and a comprehensive watershed and fishery management plan involving all stakeholders are also listed as significant factors.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:42:29 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

it would be interesting to see how much Washington state invest in recovering salmon population compared to us.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Washington State actualy values its sportfishing sector.
Unlike here in BC.
Here we are just in the way and they would rather we were not on the water at all.
Its pretty obvious .

How many boat launches do we have from the mouth of the river up to Hope and how many of them are Government funded.

Now go and look what they have in not only Washington but also Oregon and other States.

Its pretty obvious we are not a wanted group here in B.C.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

maybe they are more united then us to make sure their voices get heard. hopefully some of them can join the conversation.