Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018/19 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 61465 times)

nevertoolate

I dont really understand the whole "low hole" business.    If its a guy is at the upper end of a run and its only him and I or one other guy.    And also what about when the guy just stands in one spot for an hour?   I could understand going above him if he is moving down, but not if he is just standing there forever. 
Personally this has never been a problem that affects me.  I never catch a fish anyway.   Up or down.  So what does it matter.

mikeyman

Steelhead etiquitte. I ask first if a guy is fishing thru or not and if he minds if I fish thru otherwise. 95% won't care. 5% will get bent out of shape either way. Steelhead are agressive and if your presentation is right and there is a fish there first water will typically get the fish. If there are fence posters it should be no prob to fish thru below them.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:56:22 PM by mikeyman »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Another lovely January day out there today. Fished from 11am to 4pm, only covered a few runs, enjoyed some conversations with many who read the forum. Float finally went down just after 3pm but it came off after a few seconds. Water was pretty clear for the most part today, got slightly siltier halfway through the afternoon, which was kind of nice.

bobby b

A Beauty day indeed Rodney!
A bit of snow melt prob accounts for the water colour change.

Fished mostly mid/upper river
A bit windy in the lower, no wind in the upper.
My buddy managed 1 wild doe and I got  .....  1 rainbow....at least I got a tug!

bobby b

And also what about when the guy just stands in one spot for an hour?   I could understand going above him if he is moving down, but not if he is just standing there forever. 

This happened to me yesterday. Got to a run ....only one guy there, at the head of the run. I waited a while expecting he was gonna walk through the run ..... nope he was posted there. So I nodded and pointed my rod to indicate if ok to get in below. He didn't respond, just had an indignant frown face or was he just trying to look serious?!?   I walked in anyway.. I slowly made my way down the run ...... I got to the tail out ...a long way away. Looked back and he was still there!!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

This happened to me yesterday. Got to a run ....only one guy there, at the head of the run. I waited a while expecting he was gonna walk through the run ..... nope he was posted there. So I nodded and pointed my rod to indicate if ok to get in below. He didn't respond, just had an indignant frown face or was he just trying to look serious?!?   I walked in anyway.. I slowly made my way down the run ...... I got to the tail out ...a long way away. Looked back and he was still there!!
  May have hooked a fish in that spot and was hoping it would bite again. That’s the only time I will stay in one spot for a spell longer before moving on. I always ask when stepping into a run below someone. Common courtesy.

poper

May have hooked a fish in that spot and was hoping it would bite again. That’s the only time I will stay in one spot for a spell longer before moving on. I always ask when stepping into a run below someone. Common courtesy.
I’m the same way, if someone is on lock down, just ask first and 99% of the time it’s not a problem,anglers just need to communicate with each other lol, easy to say I had the 1% happen this year

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Today's rain was starting to color up the river today, still raining not sure how bad it will get. Maybe we will get an update later from someone on the river.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

River hasn’t risen much but the visibility is down to a few inches now. We need much more rain to bring the river level up. Think I will do a rain dance!  :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River hasn’t risen much but the visibility is down to a few inches now. We need much more rain to bring the river level up. Think I will do a rain dance!  :o
Thanks for the update, still raining hard.

dave c

Any updates?

mikeyman

No fish poor visibility.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Any updates?
I was told nearing 2 feet.

psd1179

• Old Timer

sneak out for a few hours fishing in the late afternoon. Unfortunately, so many anglers had the same plan.
Water remain similar to a few days before. a little cloudy water which is perfect.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Water was perfect at lower river when I started in the afternoon. At least 3 to 4 ft visibility. Heard some fish taken in lower runs in the morning. But didn't see anything in the afternoon. With high coloured water dropping to clear visibility, I would expect more fish than what I saw at these popular runs.