Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: 2018/19 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 61520 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

the egos that come out during steelhead season never cease to amaze me. i'm the man, no i'm the man, lol. i got low holed on saturday. did i have a tantrum, no. just carried about my buisness and moved on. its the vedder man. its gonna happen.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Still relatively new to fishing on the Vedder, so please forgive my ignorance regarding this.

I keep hearing it's poor etiquette to start fishing down river from someone already fishing. Why is this? Many times when I have shown up to fish a run, there are a few people posted up and the only space left to fish is down river from them. Is this rule meant for people to move down to cover water? What if they're not moving (I rarely see people moving to cover more than where they are standing)?

In those situations, I would always ask. :) Communication eliminates 99% of the problems. If the angler indicates that he or she is working downstream, then head above him or her.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

the egos that come out during steelhead season never cease to amaze me. i'm the man, no i'm the man, lol. i got low holed on saturday. did i have a tantrum, no. just carried about my buisness and moved on. its the vedder man. its gonna happen.

Yep. The ones who complain the loudest about etiquettes and crowds are usually the most problematic ones, that has been shown on here numerous times.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

Hey Mikeyman,
 there's always two sides to every story.
I have known Tyler since he was 6 years old and he is one of the finest Steelhead fishermen I know.
 I heard his side to this story and it sounds like you and your buddy walked in on him and proceeded to stand two feet away and start fishing.
that was after you attempted to walk below him and he gave you the evil eye.
he also said this is the second time you have done this to him.
my advise to you is to think twice about posting this kind of B.S. on a public forum when you don't know who you are dealing with!

If I'm reading it right Tyler is claiming they stood just above him and fished the same line he was drifting. If that was the case, then yah that would be a dick move...but as you said, there's always two sides to every story. He also threatened to call DFO accusing them of banking a wild fish which was clearly a hatch, so with that said...would it be fair to say calling them out the way you did might be presumptuous? We weren't there so the only person who could really make an argument on this forum would be Tyler himself. As Rodney pointed out miscommunication causes 99% of the problems...The 1% I reserve for elitism.

spoiler

blaydRnr,
just so you know, my son also witnessed this move so it's not just Tyler's word I'm speaking on.
the old time steelheaders on this forum know who I am and know that I started teaching my son and his friends how to fish on the Vedder when they were 6 years old.
Besides passing my experience to them (51 years worth) I also tried to teach them etiquette and how to act appropriately around other fishermen.
But because they have a strong sense of right and wrong they also don't have a problem telling people what's up.
Tyler said the spot he was fishing had nobody above him within sight.
he said there was a mile of room above him but the two elected to stand within a couple of feet from him.
Even after he remarked" are you kidding?" they continued fishing.
He said they dragged the fish up on the bank so quick he didn't figure they would have had time to identify whether the fish was a hatchery or not which is why he made the comment.
My son and his friends are in their mid thirties so they all have 30 years experience on the Vedder as well as many other famous Steelhead rivers.

mikeyman

Always 2 sides. I assure you we asked if he was fishing thru. Walked well above and didnt start casting until he was making his way down the run. Would never go below somone. The fish was identified before coming near the edge. Miss understanding I suppose. I have only been out. Maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 2years. Cant say I ever low holed anyone before to my knowledge or even had a chance to. We started at the head of the run when he had already started and was midway down. But hey move on. Delete the posts if you find it offensive.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

Always 2 sides. I assure you we asked if he was fishing thru. Walked well above and didnt start casting until he was making his way down the run. Would never go below somone. The fish was identified before coming near the edge. Miss understanding I suppose. I have only been out. Maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 2years. Cant say I ever low holed anyone before to my knowledge or even had a chance to. We started at the head of the run when he had already started and was midway down. But hey move on. Delete the posts if you find it offensive.

Obviously what you've considered as enough distance is too close for those who know what they are doing.

mikeyman

Not sure witness as there was nobody else there asides from a non fisherman with his son that doesnt fish the river. The other guys anywhere near where the next run down. So cant really get a good view that far away. All subjective I guess. Been fishing for 30 years. Guess everyone feels they own the river. Last time somone caught a fish behind me that I missed I congradulated him for getting the one I missed.

mikeyman

So define to close? 1 mile? The next run up? How about mid river. Dont fish the lower u low holed me.lol.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

Your old posts always complained about fishing in runs that are too crowded so obviously you are used to that type of fishing and got called out for fishing too close.

mikeyman

Well there is a big difference between coho season and steelhead my friend. A few old posts may have mentioned snagging. Flossing and illigal unethical fishing and crouding. Read up more bud. Usually it is the oppososite if one complains about crouds they move away. Making assumptions to stand up for strange behavior. In your opinion if somone has gotten down to mid run should another be able to fish thru from the top after first asking and waiting for them to move thru. That is proper etique in my books. Let the other guy fish first if he was there first. Dont throw a fit because somone caught one over water u already fished.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:29:20 PM by mikeyman »

mikeyman

Hey Mikeyman,
 there's always two sides to every story.
I have known Tyler since he was 6 years old and he is one of the finest Steelhead fishermen I know.
 I heard his side to this story and it sounds like you and your buddy walked in on him and proceeded to stand two feet away and start fishing.
that was after you attempted to walk below him and he gave you the evil eye.
he also said this is the second time you have done this to him.
my advise to you is to think twice about posting this kind of B.S. on a public forum when you don't know who you are dealing with!
Well I think there r a few fibs in that version. We asked first and stood there waiting for a bit then walked well above. Know who we r dealing with? Sounds a bit like a threat as well. Over a fish? Supposed to be enjoyable man. Get out for what might be one of a few trips this year and deal with some guy swearing and yelling cause he missed a fish. Lol. 2 ft is an exageration in itself. X that by atleast 40 or more.

fishingwithjohn

If theres a bar with a guy at the top you best believe I wont be walking 10 not even 20 feet down from him but if I start in the middle of the channel...any complaints will be happily ignored

mikeyman

If I'm reading it right Tyler is claiming they stood just above him and fished the same line he was drifting. If that was the case, then yah that would be a dick move...but as you said, there's always two sides to every story. He also threatened to call DFO accusing them of banking a wild fish which was clearly a hatch, so with that said...would it be fair to say calling them out the way you did might be presumptuous? We weren't there so the only person who could really make an argument on this forum would be Tyler himself. As Rodney pointed out miscommunication causes 99% of the problems...The 1% I reserve for elitism.
I would say not presumptious. Been steelheading for 25 years and know we did nothing wrong and that swearing threatening and throwing a hissy fit because another guy caught a fish behind water already fished is wrong not to mention calling dfo for no good reason is a complete waste of resources. Some of these guys think they r the best king steelheader and Own the river.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:28:00 PM by mikeyman »

Jk47

So... how ‘bout those conditions, hmmmm? Little bit of heavy rain tonight, barely bumping the graph so far....just what the river needs... 8)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10