Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave parking  (Read 34746 times)

bobby b

Re: Stave parking
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »

I was beat this morning so slept in ... after lunch I Stopped by Stave for an hour this aft... There was loads of people up closer to the dam at Stave... saw lots of fish splashing' there but was too crowded for me.  went down river a bit...not as crowded there.

People were saying' it was slow. Got one one the fourth cast with big  purple and chartreuse marabou jig sitting about 2 feet under my float. Got another about 10 mins later. Let them both go.
Older German fella beside me said he had been there for 6 hours without a bite!  When packed up, I gave him my jig... he was delighted!!   

I then headed Dewdney Slough to check things out... got a big buck Chum on the fly ...really coloured up. No Coho there though, that I could see, so went to Vedder to find a Coho... but no luck with that either .... got 6 Springs there, in about 2 hours.... all on roe...all boots..  oh well whatcha gonna do.  I'm beat ... again! 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2018, 05:59:10 AM »

I was beat this morning so slept in ... after lunch I Stopped by Stave for an hour this aft... There was loads of people up closer to the dam at Stave... saw lots of fish splashing' there but was too crowded for me.  went down river a bit...not as crowded there.

People were saying' it was slow. Got one one the fourth cast with big  purple and chartreuse marabou jig sitting about 2 feet under my float. Got another about 10 mins later. Let them both go.
Older German fella beside me said he had been there for 6 hours without a bite!  When packed up, I gave him my jig... he was delighted!!   

I then headed Dewdney Slough to check things out... got a big buck Chum on the fly ...really coloured up. No Coho there though, that I could see, so went to Vedder to find a Coho... but no luck with that either .... got 6 Springs there, in about 2 hours.... all on roe...all boots..  oh well whatcha gonna do.  I'm beat ... again!

Was at the dewdney last night. Lots of Chum splashing around and saw a few Coho fly into the air. Had a Coho but lost it. The water ( second hear in a row ) is really low even at high tide. Even a 1/4 oz croc reels in at a faster than normal speed was hitting bottom. It's a shame we cant fish the Fraser. I would imagine the Coho are stacking up front the slough waiting for higher water.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:56:44 AM by Hike_and_fish »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »

I guess that'll make for a few busy days when it does rise...

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »

I guess that'll make for a few busy days when it does rise...

I dknt think it will. The long range forcast doesnt show any rain. I think the majority of the run will be thru. It is NOW till the end of Oct.

wookie

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »

10 to hand today and several more lost. On a twitching jig short under a float like 2 feet or less. . All in medium current in deeper seams and sections. I had a ridiculous day. Of note is that all were males. I wonder if the large profile jig had anything to do with that. It was a 4 inch Maribou twitcher on a 3/8 jig head. That jig looked like a big profile intruder in the water...

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »

Went out today and enjoyed the 10/10 fall day! Fished the east side using jigs but without any bites. Didn't see anyone else connect, either.

Drove to the lower west side and went wading to an island but rising water levels meant I only had time for a few casts before having to wade back. No luck there, no surprise.

Watched a group of fly fishermen below the trailer park for several minutes. They foul hooked two or three fish in the five minutes I was watching but they didn't keep the fish. One of the fly fishermen was unhappy being observed so my buddy and I moved on and headed to the Coquitlam. A few scattered fish there but mostly old and none biting.

Note to self, stop going out chum fishing before late October! Beautiful weather though  8)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »

What do you guys to do to prevent the chums from breaking your leader with their sharp teeth?  Happened to me twice yesterday.  I know there are steel wire leaders, but I don't know if they'll get spooked by them.

Ambassador

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

Went out today and enjoyed the 10/10 fall day! Fished the east side using jigs but without any bites.
I had an amazing day out this weekend too. Beautiful day on the rivers. Hit the Vedder at the crack of dawn, then over to the Harrison for a bit, then the rest of the time at the Stave. Nothing connected for me, but saw a fair amount rolling at the Harrison and Stave. Wish I had the week off - love to be out there enjoying the weather and views.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

wookie

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »

15 pound fluro works fine for me when targeting chummies.  Seaguar gold label.

Ive also caught them with 12, 10 and 8 pound as well.

If a fish twists then teeth are an issue, sometimes it can't be avoided.  My thoughts:

Take more fight out of them in deeper water before they get shallow and start thrashing/spinning.  The longer a fish is flopping around once close to shore and in shallow, the more likely it will get line in its mouth. 

Also try a bigger jig hook so the line is further from the teeth. 

Consider a landing net so there is less time for fish to get excess line in their mouth.

What do you guys to do to prevent the chums from breaking your leader with their sharp teeth?  Happened to me twice yesterday.  I know there are steel wire leaders, but I don't know if they'll get spooked by them.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »

I had an amazing day out this weekend too. Beautiful day on the rivers. Hit the Vedder at the crack of dawn, then over to the Harrison for a bit, then the rest of the time at the Stave. Nothing connected for me, but saw a fair amount rolling at the Harrison and Stave. Wish I had the week off - love to be out there enjoying the weather and views.

Didn't know Stave chums are that hard to connect with jigs. Must be the water level too clear and low?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »

Do what wookie says and use 15 lbs mono.  They are not leader shy.  Also you can go with short leader lengths of 16 inches, because they do not care.

Check leader smoothness for any nicks or abrasion after each fish you catch and replace if required.

Short float and you are more likely get a lip or upper lip hookset, and keep the line away from the teeth. 

The advice about tailing them in deeper water is very good.  They are powerfull fish and if they can leverage the bottom with their tails as they flop around, and you are holding the leader, you have a high risk of it snapping it even without abrasion or nicks in the leader. 

Drewhill

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2018, 02:31:16 PM »

Didn't know Stave chums are that hard to connect with jigs. Must be the water level too clear and low?

We've always found them to be tight lipped early season. For some reason the guys on the boats and on the east side get them early and then it shifts to the entire river.

243Pete

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2018, 02:34:02 PM »

Seen a fair number of chum and coho rolling around, not a thing biting at all even on the spey rod today.
Water is super low right now and very clear which kinda makes me wonder if this is some how effecting the fish.
Heard there are a bunch of commercial boats in the river netting fish right now.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2018, 04:35:24 PM »

They typically aren't hard to catch on jigs. There aren't a ton of fish in the river right now... maybe they get more aggressive as the river becomes more crowded with competing fish? That's my theory  8)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2018, 04:51:10 PM »

They typically aren't hard to catch on jigs. There aren't a ton of fish in the river right now... maybe they get more aggressive as the river becomes more crowded with competing fish? That's my theory  8)

This fishery is going down hill. Every year it gets worse and worse