Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave parking  (Read 34285 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Stave parking
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had a good chum jig pattern based solely on very cheap and simple materials, such as wool, that an angler could wind up without equipment like a vise. The thought is to make it jig fishing accessible to people who can't afford $6 a jig.

Just IMHO, while chum can be readily taken on lots of things like wool, roe, plastic eggs, colorado blades, etc the best chum jigs seem have lots of underwater action. Plastic grub tails on a jig head seem to work not too shabby and are cheap. Literally no effort required

If someone wants to save a few bucks but doesnt want to seriously invest into tying tools and materials, a rabbit zonker strip and/or a nice big chunk of marabou tied to a jig head would be pretty simple and at least seems somewhat doable without a vise. Chum are not picky so it doesnt have to look perfect. Though I would suggest that if your time is of any value, then tying your own jigs may not really be worth the effort; but if you find it rewarding or enjoy the process, then have at it. Also, even the cheapest vise will pay for itself in short order by way of increased productivity.

243Pete

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »

I can attest to the success of the 243pete special!

Hahaha thank you Halcyonguitars! I'll remember to pack extra jigs so the next time I see you I can give you a bunch.

But speaking of success, last year on the Stave river a buddy of mine had a similar experience using the jigs I tied, learning how to use a centerpin and pretty much had him on a crash course as it was just float down pretty much non-stop, couldn't even get the float to drift more than a foot without a mean chum grabing.

I like the fairly long double rabbit tails as it seems to get a nice action especially on the drop, I've got my own twitching jigs in a smiliar design and they work pretty well on coho as well.
Speaking on vices for sale... I should post that Anvil Apex that I no longer use in the buy and sale.

Old Blue

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »

It should stay this way forever!!!!! 8) ;D

Agreed.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 10:32:37 AM »

Re: east side rec area parking

I don’t know if we can assume it will be re-opened this season. It says completion fall 2018, but fall technically lasts until December 20th or something. I take that to mean work will be done by the end of the year.

Those who prefer it with the more difficult access will likely be happy for one more year.

jacked55

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »

Just stopped in to the East side today to see what the river looks like and the water is extremely low. Also, I spoke with the security person at the gate and they said they are WAY behind on work and will likely be going until spring. So this season will be ststue quo for hiking into the Stave on the East side.
As for the West side, there is literally no parking as of right now. Signs are up all over the place so I’m not sure how this will be managed once the gong sounds and the season is in full swing.
Tight lines guys!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »

Just stopped in to the East side today to see what the river looks like and the water is extremely low. Also, I spoke with the security person at the gate and they said they are WAY behind on work and will likely be going until spring. So this season will be ststue quo for hiking into the Stave on the East side.
As for the West side, there is literally no parking as of right now. Signs are up all over the place so I’m not sure how this will be managed once the gong sounds and the season is in full swing.
Tight lines guys!

Great news. It's nice to bring the boat up to the dam

Renegade

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »

I fished the Stave on Thursday (Sept. 20).  There was only 1 other vehicle parked on the east side.  The size of the work crew at the dam site must have been considerably reduced, eliminating their need for parking along the road.  No parking signs remain posted past Keystone up to the guard house.  There is less room to park after the surface widening late last Fall.  I and the only other angler there saw no signs of salmon, but there were active cutties.  Water was low and clear.

I prefer the restricted access on the east side of the past few years because it has reduced the gong show and improved opportunities for fly fishers like me.  So I am pleased to hear we get one more season before the parking lot is restored. 

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 08:25:06 AM »

Anyone out to the Stave this weekend?  Stuck at work, love a report!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »

Anyone out to the Stave this weekend?  Stuck at work, love a report!

Every year they trickle in right now. I see them between the islands. Usually around the second week of October they'll start flossing the west side. Boar access will get you to the fish right now.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »

I can't understand why anyone would bother to floss the chums that are so dang bitey on a drifted jig...

ShaunO

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »

I can't understand why anyone would bother to floss the chums that are so dang bitey on a drifted jig...

Translated into Russian

Я не могу понять, почему кто-то потрудился бы незаконно зацепить лосося, который так легко поймать на дрейфующем джиге ...

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »

Thanks, I confess I was a bit confused on some of the phonetics.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 10:54:31 PM »

Translated into Russian

Я не могу понять, почему кто-то потрудился бы незаконно зацепить лосося, который так легко поймать на дрейфующем джиге ...

LMAO
It ain't the roe bro'

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »

I realize the Russian thing was a joke, but maybe it's not a crazy idea if some of Rodney's previous articles translated properly into other languages that are common in the various ethnic groups that partake in our local fisheries. 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »

Went out this morning and short drifted some jigs. Saw a few fish jump but no bites for me. Observed one middling chum landed by a snagger just below the dam, one guy on a centerpin who caught and released a chrome fish, and a couple of kids bottom bouncing 50m south of the main parking area who retained a maroon chum.

I agree that it'd be great if Rod's articles were translated into multiple languages. And the regs. And the signs posted at river sites!