Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave parking  (Read 34697 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Stave parking
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »

Went out this morning and short drifted some jigs. Saw a few fish jump but no bites for me. Observed one middling chum landed by a snagger just below the dam, one guy on a centerpin who caught and released a chrome fish, and a couple of kids bottom bouncing 50m south of the main parking area who retained a maroon chum.

I agree that it'd be great if Rod's articles were translated into multiple languages. And the regs. And the signs posted at river sites!

The problem of people snagging and bottom bouncing the Stave has gotten worse over the years. The problem isnt those folks. Its enforcement or the lack of. OR the lack of a proper definition in the regs. The system is broken.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 04:22:34 PM »

I can't understand why anyone would bother to floss the chums that are so dang bitey on a drifted jig...

I agree. Why break your rod over a snagged chum when it can be mouth hooked easily with a jig, especially a purple or pink one? But I must say a lot of newbies are learning the magic of jigs for chum by seeing how effective they are. Perhaps there should be a thread on how to tie a jig? Lol.

243Pete

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2018, 03:32:00 AM »

I agree. Why break your rod over a snagged chum when it can be mouth hooked easily with a jig, especially a purple or pink one? But I must say a lot of newbies are learning the magic of jigs for chum by seeing how effective they are. Perhaps there should be a thread on how to tie a jig? Lol.

There should be, I know sometimes local shops have classes on how to tie up jigs that work from steelhead to chums, but I believe their are lots of videos on youtube and even some sites that have information on how to make jigs.
Shops could also make packages for starters on how to tie up jigs, a simple vise, bobbin, thread, marabou, jig hooks and ect ect.

I always carry a few extra jigs with me when ever I fish for chum, it's amazing how thankful people can be when they actually hook into a chum instead of trying to drift across a piece of wool or foul hook a fish that is much easier to manage when the hook placement is actually in the snout and not across it's back.

Ambassador

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »

I always carry a few extra jigs with me when ever I fish for chum, it's amazing how thankful people can be when they actually hook into a chum instead of trying to drift across a piece of wool or foul hook a fish that is much easier to manage when the hook placement is actually in the snout and not across it's back.
Any pics of this intriguing "243Pete Special?" Was going to tie up a few jigs and test my luck drifting for Chum this weekend. I've got a few of BentRods jigs ready to rock - but wanna tie up some Chum slayers of my own. Love to see what is working so well for you!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »

Purple and pink maribou tail with a polar Pink chenille collar. 1/4 oz jig head non painted. Seems to work on overcast days. Easy to tie and gets them every time. I stay away from bright color painted jog heads. They take away from the rest of the jig. I've tied two identical jigs on with a non painted 1/4 oz  head and one with a pink head. The pink head never gets the bites a non painted head does. That's my 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:19:44 AM by Hike_and_fish »

dave c

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 10:30:22 AM »

There should be, I know sometimes local shops have classes on how to tie up jigs that work from steelhead to chums, but I believe their are lots of videos on youtube and even some sites that have information on how to make jigs.
Shops could also make packages for starters on how to tie up jigs, a simple vise, bobbin, thread, marabou, jig hooks and ect ect.

I will be giving a jig tying demonstration at Cabelas on Oct 13th 1100 to 300

243Pete

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »

Any pics of this intriguing "243Pete Special?" Was going to tie up a few jigs and test my luck drifting for Chum this weekend. I've got a few of BentRods jigs ready to rock - but wanna tie up some Chum slayers of my own. Love to see what is working so well for you!

Send me an email and I will send you some pics.
It's a fairly simple pattern that I use for intruders/ bunny streamers.
1/0- 2/0 Owner jig hook
Large to medium steel bead head and pin
Two strips of magnum or regular zonker rabbit strip (pink, fuchsia, purple and two tone like purple with pink inside)
Flash from crystal to crinkled flash so it's your choice
Marabou or synthetic hair
Palmer chenille or polar UV chenille
Sclappen in various colors

Basically I start with tying the bead and pin down and applying some head cement or resin as to prevent twisting/ pulling out of the bead as it can happen at times, another good way to keep it secure is to use some old 20lb braid.
put the first strip of rabbit through the hook( cut to desired length either being an inch or longer, I myself ussually use about an inch and a half to three inches as longer strips get a more fluid swimming motion but the longer the length can get you some short bites on more shy fish) and bring it up to the bend of the hook but measuring where you will place it on the bend of the hook to where the wire of the hooks goes through the rabbit, but make sure you don't poke yourself trying to poke the hook through the rabbit strip.
In the middle place the marabou or synthetic hair in a small clump in the same length as where the fibers of the rabbit strip ends.
On either side of marabou or synthetic hair tie in flash
On the top place a second strip of rabbit of equal length and measure it to it all lines up equally.
From there wrap on palmer or polar UV chenille, you might notice you have a variance in width from where the materials at the back are tied in but the chenille covers up the shank of the jig hook, becareful when tying in the chenille as the point of the pin can sometimes cut that and your thread so always keep that in mind, wrap it till about 3-4mm from the bend of the jig eye and tie it off.
Wrap in schlappen colar making sure not to cover up the chenille so try and use the tip end of the feather where the fibers are a little shorter but get a nice standing apperance and you are done.

With this you can make HUGE jigs to sparse designs but with lots of swimming/ fluttery action, you can use different contrasts in colors as sometimes two tone jigs work insanely well and sometimes a single color gets them. It's actually fairly easy to tie this design as most of it fairly simple and can be layed out before hand and doesn't take that much time to make.
If you have any questions feel free to ask

Hey Dave C, that is awesome I'd love to come and check it out but I got to work that Saturday, if I can some how manage to get that day off I will drop by and say hi.

dave c

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »

Sounds good Pete

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »

Spent about 3 hours yesterday morning - nothing for me or for the other 20 or 30 fisherman there that I could see.  Only a couple of rollers, but a beautiful thanksgiving morning to be out on the water!!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »

snuck in half hour fishing after work, lots of parking, one lost and one landed, wild.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »

I will be giving a jig tying demonstration at Cabelas on Oct 13th 1100 to 300
Going to put on multiple demos of the same info over the 4 hour period?
Trying to determine how much time I can spend there...

dave c

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »

Going to put on multiple demos of the same info over the 4 hour period?
Trying to determine how much time I can spend there...
Will also be touching on tying roe bags and possibly also making Colorados

Ambassador

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »

Send me an email and I will send you some pics.
It's a fairly simple pattern that I use for intruders/ bunny streamers.
1/0- 2/0 Owner jig hook
Large to medium steel bead head and pin
Two strips of magnum or regular zonker rabbit strip (pink, fuchsia, purple and two tone like purple with pink inside)
Flash from crystal to crinkled flash so it's your choice
Marabou or synthetic hair
Palmer chenille or polar UV chenille
Sclappen in various colors

Basically I start with tying the bead and pin down and applying some head cement or resin as to prevent twisting/ pulling out of the bead as it can happen at times, another good way to keep it secure is to use some old 20lb braid.
put the first strip of rabbit through the hook( cut to desired length either being an inch or longer, I myself ussually use about an inch and a half to three inches as longer strips get a more fluid swimming motion but the longer the length can get you some short bites on more shy fish) and bring it up to the bend of the hook but measuring where you will place it on the bend of the hook to where the wire of the hooks goes through the rabbit, but make sure you don't poke yourself trying to poke the hook through the rabbit strip.
In the middle place the marabou or synthetic hair in a small clump in the same length as where the fibers of the rabbit strip ends.
On either side of marabou or synthetic hair tie in flash
On the top place a second strip of rabbit of equal length and measure it to it all lines up equally.
From there wrap on palmer or polar UV chenille, you might notice you have a variance in width from where the materials at the back are tied in but the chenille covers up the shank of the jig hook, becareful when tying in the chenille as the point of the pin can sometimes cut that and your thread so always keep that in mind, wrap it till about 3-4mm from the bend of the jig eye and tie it off.
Wrap in schlappen colar making sure not to cover up the chenille so try and use the tip end of the feather where the fibers are a little shorter but get a nice standing apperance and you are done.

With this you can make HUGE jigs to sparse designs but with lots of swimming/ fluttery action, you can use different contrasts in colors as sometimes two tone jigs work insanely well and sometimes a single color gets them. It's actually fairly easy to tie this design as most of it fairly simple and can be layed out before hand and doesn't take that much time to make.
If you have any questions feel free to ask

Hey Dave C, that is awesome I'd love to come and check it out but I got to work that Saturday, if I can some how manage to get that day off I will drop by and say hi.
Thanks for typing this up - looking forward to tying some up and landing some biggies this season!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

243Pete

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »

Thanks for typing this up - looking forward to tying some up and landing some biggies this season!

No problem! Always glad to share some information and hopefully you get some nice big fish on these jigs and will be more awesome if you get them on the ones you tied up. :D

poper

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »

Slow today, unless you had no float, but really nice day to be out, parking is great