Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave parking  (Read 34663 times)

243Pete

Re: Stave parking
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2018, 08:14:54 PM »

They typically aren't hard to catch on jigs. There aren't a ton of fish in the river right now... maybe they get more aggressive as the river becomes more crowded with competing fish? That's my theory  8)

Similar behaviour for pinks on the Squamish last year, ussually they are very prone to hitting jigs but with the low numbers they didn't touch very much unless they came up in big waves so I would say it's a very good theory, same with the chum on the Vedder this year as smaller groups of them wouldn't touch much but if it was a bigger group it would be easier to connect. But with that said sometimes fish are just tight lipped and don't want to play and instead just show up the middle fin by jumping/ rising in front of us. :D

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »

If your jig doesn't produce, I despair, lol!

243Pete

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2018, 11:34:54 PM »

If your jig doesn't produce, I despair, lol!

Hahaha well I didn't use jigs today, went with the two-hander and didn't even get a nibble on five different patterns that typically get chum.
Oh well might go again but with the pin this time to see if I can change that. :P

mcallagan

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »

Was there today.
West side had quite a few people and on the east they were bunched up between dam and below toilet bowl.
Quite a few old boots but I got 1 good enough for smoking😊
Just as I went under the bridge in my boat a large school were jumping in the lower river.
Quite a few cars parked on west side.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »

It seems that most rivers don't have the regular big numbers of Chum yet. Pretty sure they will be in there soon as I've seen a lot showing as they move up the Tidal Fraser.. A lot! So if they aren't in the systems thick yet they probably are waiting around at the mouths/tributary estuaries for a bump in water. It kinda makes sense with all the sun and low water lately.

I hope they're coming. From what I've seen over the last 15 years it seems like the numbers are dropping.

DD

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »

Heh Pete, last week I met you by your bike as you were getting ready to leave. You caught a chromer that day.  Thurs. was a good day for me and I could not keep the chum off.  Hope to be back early Monday

bobby b

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »

Went to the east side for an hour or so yesterday morning. Lots of fish being caught, old fish and fresh fish ... lots of Doe being caught.
 Saw some questionable practices there too .. heads and tails being cut off ...is that legal?

Anyhoo... One guy above me got a fish on ... he fought it for about five minutes before walking it past me and others. The hook was very visibly in the dorsal fin ... explaining why he had such a hard time fighting it. But fight it he did ... then after dragging it up to the rocky beach he pulls out his pliers and removed the hook. I was full expecting him to put the fish back, but instead he lifted it by the tail to a grassy spot and pulled out a hammer! Everyone around saw that it was foul hooked but not one person said anything! So before he bashed its skull in I yelled at him ‘hey, you can’t keep that fish’!! He looked up at me ‘why not’? .... ‘because you snagged it in the back, it’s illegal to kill it’
... ‘so what... what does that matter’ he says. Ok now I was pissed ... I said ok that’s fine,you kill it and I’ll call the CO/DFO.   He pauses ... then gets up and tosses the fish into the shallows and walks back to his spot. The fish was just laying there on its side so I dropped my rod, went over to the fish, revived it and it swam away. I also told him out loud to have some respect for the fish!
 What blew me away was nobody around seem to give a damn... one guy do come up to me later and said ‘good for you’ .... but he stood right beside the guy the whole time and said nothing!?!

I left ... disgusted.
 I’m sure this happens more often than not at the Stave. I’ve seen similar actions at other rivers and people always speak up... but the Stave just seems to be a free for all.

What a place .... don’t think I’ll be there much again... if at all. Shame

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:00:59 AM by bobby b »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2018, 11:50:55 AM »

Went to the east side for an hour or so yesterday morning. Lots of fish being caught, old fish and fresh fish ... lots of Doe being caught.
 Saw some questionable practices there too .. heads and tails being cut off ...is that legal?

Anyhoo... One guy above me got a fish on ... he fought it for about five minutes before walking it past me and others. The hook was very visibly in the dorsal fin ... explaining why he had such a hard time fighting it. But fight it he did ... then after dragging it up to the rocky beach he pulls out his pliers and removed the hook. I was full expecting him to put the fish back, but instead he lifted it by the tail to a grassy spot and pulled out a hammer! Everyone around saw that it was foul hooked but not one person said anything! So before he bashed its skull in I yelled at him ‘hey, you can’t keep that fish’!! He looked up at me ‘why not’? .... ‘because you snagged it in the back, it’s illegal to kill it’
... ‘so what... what does that matter’ he says. Ok now I was pissed ... I said ok that’s fine,you kill it and I’ll call the CO/DFO.   He pauses ... then gets up and tosses the fish into the shallows and walks back to his spot. The fish was just laying there on its side so I dropped my rod, went over to the fish, revived it and it swam away. I also told him out loud to have some respect for the fish!
 What blew me away was nobody around seem to give a damn... one guy do come up to me later and said ‘good for you’ .... but he stood right beside the guy the whole time and said nothing!?!

I left ... disgusted.
 I’m sure this happens more often than not at the Stave. I’ve seen similar actions at other rivers and people always speak up... but the Stave just seems to be a free for all.

You did so well in Vedder. Why bother stave. It is always a sad place.

bobby b

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »

I went to the Vedder afterwards...Stave was on the way so I stopped there for a while ...  Yes ..sad is the word

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »

I left ... disgusted.

Most people just avoid confrontation. Last night I saw some asian guy sitting on the Starbucks patio. Some words were exchanged with a couple racist clowns in a Honda. The Asian guy grabbed his chair and had it in the air ready to throw at the car. A crowd of people formed with cell phones in hand. There could have been 8 to 10 people just watching and waiting for the guy to toss that chair at the car. My wife and I stepped in and defused the situation. Most people just dont want to risk anything. They stay in their comfort zone and live quiet lives.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »

fish can't be cut up in case dfo wants to measure length, correct?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »

The legal size limit of a chum salmon is 30cm. As long as the remaining piece is that length or more, the head and tail can be cutoff and discarded.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »

The legal size limit of a chum salmon is 30cm. As long as the remaining piece is that length or more, the head and tail can be cutoff and discarded.

Page #11 Of the Freshwater regulations for your reference.

Nothingtosnagabout: Page #11 Of the freshwater fishing regulations. Leave your head and tail on until you get home.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/#Synopsis
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:34:29 PM by stsfisher »

243Pete

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »

Heh Pete, last week I met you by your bike as you were getting ready to leave. You caught a chromer that day.  Thurs. was a good day for me and I could not keep the chum off.  Hope to be back early Monday

Hey Douglas? or was it Doug? (Sorry, I am terrible at remembering names)
Yup yup! Two chromer chums that had me wondering if they were sockeye or coho till they turned into the angle of light that showed just a hint of purple.
Hahaha Thursday was a miss for me, hit a couple fish but nothing nice.

As for what I've seen on the Stave so far this year... Filleted chum, heads and tails cut off and all of this left in the spawning channel below the boat ramp, another guy who left his rod high up on the bank, cell phone in hand and a chum in his net didn't even bother saying to me that his line was across the path till I almost tripped... then another guy did the same and his reaction was more or less to get angry cause we had tripped over his line... some people need to give their heads a shake.
Bobby B I did the same today on the Vedder, totally rude douche nozzle of a guy decided to walk in between me and another angler without asking but we both made room for said douche canoe, hooks a spring but me and said guy believe it was snagged as we saw his pink jig on the outside to which he kept despite the guy saying it was snagged, what set me off was that he switch to his spinning rod to twitch jigs, hooked a wild coho and dragged it up the beach... then proceeds to look at this fish with a look of "Hmm... should I keep it?" looks around but let's it go by letting it flop and roll down the bank and back into the water, gave him a good yelling as his additude was like he did nothing wrong cause he kept responding with "I let it go." "I did nothing wrong" "No, fish is back in water" maybe someone should drag him through the water with hand cuffs and let him try to flop back onto dry land.

And as for heads and tails... I thought it was meant for indentification of said fish species as sometimes the fillets can look a lot like another fish species which runs into a problem when identifying for CO's.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2018, 05:46:32 PM »

fish can't be cut up in case dfo wants to measure length, correct?

Correct