Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave parking  (Read 34718 times)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: Stave parking
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2018, 09:03:56 PM »

Stopped to fish after work and observe the incoming tide around the mouth. Been spotty at best for coho, high incoming tide tonight all I saw was seals seagulls and a few chum. Really really miss the old days~

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »

I've been visiting Nicomen Slough during incoming tides for the past week. I remeber even 4 years ago the banks were lined with guys and fish being caught. The last three years have been horrible. Nobody within eye shot is landing a Coho. I've lost 2. I always knew things were on a downward spiral but this season ( other than the Chilliwack river ) really confirms that.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »

Just wondering, how are the reports on the parking situation looking? Lots of cars or don't bother wasting my time???

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2018, 10:38:51 AM »

Just wondering, how are the reports on the parking situation looking? Lots of cars or don't bother wasting my time???
On the West side, it's the same as the last 5 years. No change, except fewer "No Parking" signs.  Same number of gong show participants.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »

Is it worth a shot slipping a kayak in at the mouth?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »

High incoming tide in the morning, overcast and late October should spell coho in the Stave. I hit two spots there after some morning fishing on the Fraser and was blanked again, two days in a roe, I mean row.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »

I wonder how long it will take for people to figure out you can't keep chum on the Stave after Sunday night.  The CO's could clean up.

PS I really wish there was a service you could subscribe to that would push all provincial and DFO notices and regulation changes to you so that you can keep up and not be accidentally caught out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:18:39 PM by Knnn »

poper

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2018, 08:35:46 PM »

The trout and coho fishing in frog water will be great, it’s not the best yet but with less pressure it’s going to be great, only 2 coho for me so far but it’s late nov game for me the last Years ,this will be awsome year

poper

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »

Sad to say from what I have seen on the treatment of the chum in the system, I think it’s a good idea to shut it down,maybe for a while, make it a catch and release for all fish, I live close and fish it a lot and it needs a break, in April I see people trying to snag kelts let’s maybe let the river breath, my two cents mean nothing just thought I’d throw it out there
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:54:11 PM by poper »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2018, 09:21:25 PM »

I wonder how long it will take for people to figure out you can't keep chum on the Stave after Sunday night.  The CO's could clean up.

PS I really wish there was a service you could subscribe to that would push all provincial and DFO notices and regulation changes to you so that you can keep up and not be accidentally caught out.

You can have selected regions emailed to you.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2018, 09:26:53 PM »

Sad to say from what I have seen on the treatment of the chum in the system, I think it’s a good idea to shut it down,maybe for a while, make it a catch and release for all fish, I live close and fish it a lot and it needs a break, in April I see people trying to snag kelts let’s maybe let the river breath, my two cents mean nothing just thought I’d throw it out there

I agree to some extent. I can really appreciate the whole "Harvest" mentality that this years Sockeye fishing brought on. Hasn't been that way in years past. I would love for that to be extended to other Salmon fisheries. Perhaps the more we look at recreational Salmon openings as Harvest opportunities the better we'll treat each other, respect the fish and leave after limits. I do believe we need a shift in language then the approach to these fisheries will change.

I am very disappointed with this closure. The Harrison has always been an opportunity for me the break out the 10wt spey, get my two and go home. I personally hate it when people post up ALL day and C&R 10, 15 or 20 Chum a day. Its senseless.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:31:26 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2018, 02:09:33 AM »

Here is the fishery notice to close chums for most of the northern tributaries of the Fraser as of Sunday night. This include the Stave, the Alouette, Nicomen Slough, etc., and Chehalis won't be open on the usual opening day of November 1st.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=215591&ID=all
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:11:57 AM by Steelhawk »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2018, 07:39:42 AM »

Aren't most Stave chums hatchery released?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »

Aren't most Stave chums hatchery released?

The run was hatchery assisted in the late 80's and early 90's along with Chinook. Then that stopped. Only hatchery Coho and Steelhead are released there.

Dubs604

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »

Fished the Stave River on Saturday from first light to around 9:30am. I started a ways up from the main entrance crossing on the west side, but found it to be too shallow. The only fish I was seeing taken up there were being snagged, and I could tell that my presentation was dragging by the behaviour of my float (even though float to hook was maybe 2 feet at most). I was considering heading home early but bumped into some family friends a bit further down but still up from the crossing. I hit three big, fighting chum right away on my pink and purple jig dropped to about 4-5 feet below the float, but still shallower than many of the people I witnessed. Then hit a big buck with Halloween teeth, which must have scored my leader because I broke off my pink and purple jig on the next one shortly after. Re-rigged with a chartreuse jig that hit a sixth very quickly. After that things died down for me and I slowly made my way to the exit.

All fish were gently released (as gently as possible... one jumped out of my hands and hit the rocks pretty hard... felt bad, but she appeared to be ok).

One and done for me on the Stave this year. Oh well. Still had a great time!