Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156432 times)

Kever

Pretty slow morning yesterday in the lower but some fish were moving through so I got a hatchery ho and lost a spring. Fishing roe was much more effective than the float rippers around me. 

obie1fish

Saw something pretty good yesterday. Usually, the canal and its fishers gets some choice words tossed their way and, for some, deservedly so. So Saturday, after fishing near (but not too near) some pretty nice anglers, I returned to my truck only to be stopped partway by an ambulance parked with lights flashing. By the time I got there, a number of anglers were assisting the paramedics in hoisting a man up from the bushes partway down the bank. I got there in time to help the last few feet. It turns out the man was going from his truck to the trail down to the canal, had a diabetic episode, and fell down the side into the blackberry bushes.
It was gratifying to see good people not hesitating to help someone in distress, and that it was a good thing for this man that he was fishing in a crowded canal, and not in an area where he was on his own.

Hats off to these canal anglers.

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Everyone. Make sure u shame those float rippers otherwise u will never get a biting fish, that completely freaks fish out and makes them very very wary from anything looking like bait or weights ,,, tell them enough is enough.  I’m here to fish not snag!

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Everyone. Make sure u shame those float rippers otherwise u will never get a biting fish, that completely freaks fish out and makes them very very wary from anything looking like bait or weights ,,, tell them enough is enough.  I’m here to fish not snag!
It ain't the roe bro'

John Revolver

This is the worst possible thing to do.This is right up there with those goofball pocket flossers up at tamahi lol . oh well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water cleared up nicely today. River level is still a bit on the low side, which is ok. That'll slow the fish down a bit. There are a few hundred nice coho salmon sitting at the hatchery now.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

This is the worst possible thing to do.This is right up there with those goofball pocket flossers up at tamahi lol . oh well.

I feel that I see more and more people doing that every year. That river is the worst it's ever been in my opinion. The only time I fish from the bank these days is for Steelhead. I tend to stick to the boat at the mouth these days.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

What is float ripping?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

What is float ripping?

"Setting the hook" at the end of every drift.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Ah yes, see that plenty...

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Just say to the “angler ??“excuse me but I’m trying to fish here,that’s spooking fish-every time u whip your gear,....... then mumble the words “ bloody river barista “”

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Just fish where no one else is fishing. Problem solved. ;D

cammer

• I'm a llama!

Rod. If you find a spot and are doing well , why should u leave?  I’ve had it happen many times where your doing well and “fall fisherman”  show up after they see the splashing and Next thing you know whish whish whish and biting fish “f” off! When u prefer drift fishing vs casting in pools for salmon your going to see this behaviour and it’s not ethical and it will ruin the bite! Just running away from this doesn’t cure the problem. Shame these baristas

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

What is float ripping?

"Setting the hook" at the end of every drift.

Nothing new - been common for years and years.

Yeah it is stupid.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Aki

First light was active and then quieted down; lower river. River is dropping and very clear.