Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156334 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Spooked, not spooky....

Spooky fish -  Fish that are scary...

Spooked fish - Fish that are scared easily...

"They are spooky" as is in they have the quality of being easily spooked. It's all a matter of context

from dictionary.com

spooky
[spoo-kee]
See more synonyms for spooky on Thesaurus.com
adjective, spook·i·er, spook·i·est. Informal.

1 like or befitting a spook or ghost; suggestive of spooks.
   2 eerie; scary.
   3 (especially of horses) nervous; skittish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BBarley

They were booking it through the lower this afternoon and hammering twitched jigs on the way. Thinking this storm is going to load up the river with the fresh fish. Lots of aggressive fish if you look hard enough for em. Key for me today was reapplying scent every 10 casts or so.

dave c

They were booking it through the lower this afternoon and hammering twitched jigs on the way. Thinking this storm is going to load up the river with the fresh fish. Lots of aggressive fish if you look hard enough for em. Key for me today was reapplying scent every 10 casts or so.
try tying up very small prawn bags to tip hook with. Works excellent.

BBarley

try tying up very small prawn bags to tip hook with. Works excellent.

I’m always skeptical putting anything on a twitched jig that isn’t solid only because it always seems to fall off when it’s bouncing around the rocks. Just been costing my curly tail’s with that oily scent.

Would definitely be up for trying it with a floated jig though. Are you just using a raw prawn or cured? Have tipped things with prawns but never made bags before.....

dave c

I’m always skeptical putting anything on a twitched jig that isn’t solid only because it always seems to fall off when it’s bouncing around the rocks. Just been costing my curly tail’s with that oily scent.

Would definitely be up for trying it with a floated jig though. Are you just using a raw prawn or cured? Have tipped things with prawns but never made bags before.....
Short floated jigs tipped with small raw prawn bag is my go to for steelhead.   Initially just used raw prawn but it fell off easily and gummed up marabou. The bags definitely stay on much longer and dont gum up marabou.  I will take a normal size mesh and cut it in quarters to tie bags. 1 prawn is good for several bags

obie1fish

Dave, I believe I was talking with you last night. We were walking to our trucks at dark. It was a pleasure talking with you.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Water was gradually colouring up this morning but level remained low. Good conditions in my opinion. Visibility was around 2 to 3 feet when I left the river at 9:30am.

A pleasant short session with Buck this morning. A couple of hatchery coho for him, one for me while a few fish were lost.

cammer

• I'm a llama!

casting spoons in native land lakes>>>>  lol    I found a good back eddy this year and will actually try getting a few ho from there

milo

• Old Timer

I found a good back eddy this year and will actually try getting a few ho from there

Beware the STDs.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

any reports on what the river is looking like today?

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Great color as of 11:30, but there seem to be far fewer fish around than last weekend.  Maybe we just quit too soon and they are showing up now.

milo

• Old Timer

Hey Roy, Tad and I are having a lunch break at the Tractor grease. The morning was tough, but he managed one nice hatchery coho and a spring jack. I landed a monster size chum and lost a coho.
We are fishing mid river because the canal is a gong show. Upper river is also decent. In spite of the mostly incessant and pounding rain, the river is holding up, with a cloudy 2.5 feet of visibility.
I have to admit I expected much more fish to be in the system.
Cheers, Milo

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

I went out early afternoon, water was good, fishing was really really slow. Fished the bottom end, then moved to mid river and found some.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

casting spoons in native land lakes>>>>  lol    I found a good back eddy this year and will actually try getting a few ho from there
The native land lake is almost gone......5 casts covers it.
Now all the fish are up at Cammer's STD back eddy LOL.
It ain't the roe bro'

CohoJake

• Old Timer

River level looks good 1.77m at the crossing at dropping.  Hopefully the color held up overnight.