Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Journal For November 22, 2018  (Read 3754 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Journal For November 22, 2018
« on: November 24, 2018, 03:53:02 AM »

I wrote this for my FB page with pictures, thought I would share it here.

Yesterday my morning started as usually fairly early, when most of you are still sleeping as I try to get a video or some pictures up on events I have been covering. The latest project has been the honouring of good friend Eddie Gardner at a ceremony at The University of the Upper Fraser Valley. Of course there is the Wild Salmon Caravan that I am so far behind with but I will get back to soon but there is the FB pages I manage that I try to keep current. Of course there are small projects that keep popping up.
Of course liking to fish, play badminton and hunt does take time. At 75 years old I do these things for one never knows how much longer one can do these activities. Add in a few groups I am involved in and it makes for a busy retirement. I think it is time to cut back on a couple of these soon.
I know you are waiting for the story I said yesterday I would write about so here it is.
With a couple of things done on the computer over a cup of coffee, even though it was raining hard I decided to go Coho salmon fishing as the season is nearly over on the Vedder River, well fishing is really never over as Steelhead fishing will soon be in full swing, another month until we face the weather like it was yesterday and of course cold and snowy conditions, chasing that at times, hard to find fish.

As daylight breaks with the rain now stopped for a bit I wade the river to where I had a couple of Coho jacks on the day before. I miss a couple before I land a small Coho jack that will make a meal for me and my wife, we never get tired of fish and have eaten them for most of my life as my dad was a great fisher. Wild fish of course not fish farmed fish, most of you know my stance on this issue. I guess Dad taught me the love of fishing at an early age and to appreciate the outdoors too.

Anyway the rain starts up again and with a fish in the bag I head back to the truck, time for another coffee.
This is where the real story starts; sometimes I get long winded with my journals. As I drive down the Vedder Dyke Road I stop to wait for traffic coming across the Keith Wilson Bridge. To my amazement I see a Canada goose walking down the middle of the bridge, vehicles are going around it. Fearing it would get hit I pull over and wave to stop traffic. I walk out to the bridge deck and guide the bird off the bridge; he seems to be fine but lays down once.

I finally get him off the bridge and he tries to fly but ends up over the bank and gets tangled up in the blackberry bushes. I follow and pull him out of the vines getting my hand cut up with the thorns at the same time.
Some people may say I should leave him to the elements and what is the legal issue picking up wildlife? Although being a hunter we still have respect for our quarry. Also we at one time in years way back we were hunters and gathers and lived off the land, that of course is another topic for discussion.
In my mind I could not leave him there, I do not see what is wrong with him as I see no visible wounds. A person is parked near the bridge so with the goose in my arms I go over and ask, did she see how the bird got there? She is reluctantly to wind her window down, whom you could blame her with a guy in waders and rain gear, goose under his arms approaching her. Her answered is a curt no.

I and the goose climb into the truck, at first the goose is flapping about but I settle him down patting his head, talking to him and resting him on my lap, making driving a bit difficult. I wonder if one could get a ticket driving with a goose?

I know my next step is to speak to my son Gordon as he knows a contact with a wildlife rescue. I phone him no answer. I stop at home and show the bird to my wife and she texts our son to phone me which he does a few minutes later.

Gord tells me he will phone his contact and get back to me and see if she has room for the bird. Gord phones me back and said she would. I then drive over to Gord’s place for the map how to get to Elizabeth’s Wildlife Centre.

He looks at the bird and snaps a few pictures. He notices a small wound on his wing tip, I will not judge how that happened but I could guess.

So we are on our way to the Abbotsford area for delivery. I stop for a coffee at Seven Eleven and the goose has settled down in the back of the truck and he has found room which is amazing as those that know my truck can attest to. He cranes his head looking at the passing traffic and people just like dogs do when riding along. I think he now knows I am trying to help him.

As I drive down the back road as much as possible I wonder what those that see this long necked bird looking at them will be thinking, well he must own a pet goose.

We safely arrive at the centre and I am warmly welcomed, I pop him in an animal carrier and fill out a form. The lady asks me the details and wonder if I would like to give a donation, low on cash I said we will send some later.

I snap a picture before I leave, shedding a tear as I part ways my short lived new friend. I feel good of what I had done and another experience of my life. One never knows what one will come upon on one of my road trips be it local or far away.

I was glad I could give this chap a second chance at life and hope when the vet checks him out he will survive. I will be phoned soon with the outcome. This day will be a day to remember for sure and I would not mind to have a goose as a drive along companion. Darn I have a tear in my eyes again as I type this.

Have a safe flight my friend in the future. I am heading out for another adventure now. I hope those reading this journal enjoyed it. I am going fishing now not hunting and I do not know if I will go goose hunting in the future now as I will be thinking of this goose, for the rest of my life.

dave c

Re: The Journal For November 22, 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »

Nice story Chris.

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »

Thanks Chris for sharing, a great read, the goose thanks you and so do we...... wishing you good karma
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »

This would have been a good one for the Vinyl Cafe mailbag! Thanks for sharing  ;D

Jk47

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »

That’s what you call a “Lucky Duck”!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »

I see a kinder, gentler Mr. Gadsden in 2019 ;D

Good read Chris, time to sell the shotgun?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »

This would have been a good one for the Vinyl Cafe mailbag! Thanks for sharing  ;D
Darn I miss that program and the host. :'(

4x4

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »

Nice happy read. Thanks for that.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 05:11:23 PM »

It's true they seem to know you aren't going to hurt them but still I don't think I'd have picked this girl up and put here in the car beside me

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:13:27 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishdreamer

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »

Thanks for sharing Chris.  What goes around comes around so you have some good karma coming your way.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »

Your a good man Gord.
Great story. :)

243Pete

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 03:54:55 AM »

Awesome read Chris, good to see people out there who help animals in need.

I can sort of understand what you mean if you don't want to hunt geese again this season or next, the association of helping an animal brings on thoughts and emotions that can make it hard to do which I understand.

Hope to hear a good news update in the future about the progress of this goose.  :D