Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Rant  (Read 32651 times)

Shinny

Re: Simms Rant
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »

If you think Simms stuff is expensive , wait till arc'teryx starts making fishing gear

What does the highest end Simms jacket retail for $600-$800 I don't even know... An arc'teryx would be around $800 but with a real killer warranty.. None of this BS thats happening here. Plus your dealing with a local Canadian company as a bonus. Buy it once.. Buy it right..

Anyways this discussion is off topic. I was just making a point about the ease of warranty and a company standing behind its products.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »

So we are basically trashing a company, one that is probably the top in terms of quality and workmanship and is the preferred choice for many guides in north america based on one rant on this forum?  Then we have some crazy theories on pricing policies put forth by so called "experts" who think they know it all.  I own a crap ton of gear (my wife says too much) from Simms.  I have had nothing but positive experiences from them.  My Zip freestone waders leaked after a year and a half, due mostly to my fault for wading in heavy current with one of the gravel guards flipped up.  They offered to replace them with new headwaters.  I am constantly losing the straps from my gear bags due to my own stupidity for not buckling them back up.  A simple phone call or email and I get them in the mail two weeks later free of charge.  Other than that I've had no issues.

Why do I go with Simms?  They fit me well and they use quality materials and most importantly of all they keep me dry.  I never put my gear in the washing machine despite what they say.  I had a bad experience with a pair of Orvis waders once.  Use some common sense, not all washing machines are the same.  I hand wash everything in Nik Wax and my stuff looks new. 

Toyota is rated one of the highest in terms of reliability but I know a couple of people that have lemons from them.  Are they a crap company then?

Shinny

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »

My issue isn't with the quality of Simms products. I dont think I've ever mentioned that. Matter of fact I think I said they DO make good stuff and it does fit well and I've also been happy with my waders. If I ripped a pair of free stones and they were a year or two old.. I wouldnt expect much or anything. It's not reasonable.

My gripe is with the Simms warranty and the hoops someone has to hop through to get anything of value done. Well in this case at least. I'm sure there are lots of times when the issue is dealt with in a prompt manner and the customer is happy. Those aren't the stories you hear about unfortunately.

uliwon

« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »

What does the highest end Simms jacket retail for $600-$800 I don't even know... An arc'teryx would be around $800 but with a real killer warranty.. None of this BS thats happening here. Plus your dealing with a local Canadian company as a bonus. Buy it once.. Buy it right..

Anyways this discussion is off topic. I was just making a point about the ease of warranty and a company standing behind its products.

Ummmm. Let's be a little more realistic....Arc'teryx home base is in North Vanc. I'm sure if you lived in Bozeman, where Simms home base is, service would be equally that fast.

Interesting fact, a lot of Simms wader design has some home grown design in it...Formerly of Arc'teryx even...

uliwon

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »

My issue isn't with the quality of Simms products. I dont think I've ever mentioned that. Matter of fact I think I said they DO make good stuff and it does fit well and I've also been happy with my waders. If I ripped a pair of free stones and they were a year or two old.. I wouldnt expect much or anything. It's not reasonable.

My gripe is with the Simms warranty and the hoops someone has to hop through to get anything of value done. Well in this case at least. I'm sure there are lots of times when the issue is dealt with in a prompt manner and the customer is happy. Those aren't the stories you hear about unfortunately.

Fair enough, but people rarely tell of the good things on forums, but they sure complain about the bad.

uliwon

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2018, 02:18:46 PM »

I don't  know what has been done or what hasn't been done besides what's been mentioned in this thread, I don't see a final update from SS stating that he was taken cared of by Simms..so yes I assume he is still waiting. 

yes you assume...why don't you PM Kyle if it's such a concern?

What are we at now? almost 8 weeks into this topic and he was having issue before then and as far as everyone on FWR is concerned except for yourself the issue hasn't been resolved.

why is it a FWR concern?...as far as I understand, it's between Simms and Kyle, and Kyle is very much aware of where we are at and he's in no hurry, but apparently you are

What a hassle SS has gone through...

yes we addressed that...

Just as a comparison my wife's arc'teryx jacket started to come apart at the start of January. I took it into the office on dollarton hwy in and it's already been replaced. Now that's a warranty!!!  ;)

Really? Arc'teryx head office and design/warranty sewing shop is in North Vanc, if you lived in Bozeman Montana, the home of Simms head office and factory, I'm sure you would have been equally looked after...that's just a left field comparison, really.

Arcteryx needs to start make some fishing gear 8)

actually, there is a lot of design in Simms from one of the major designers at Arc'treys, more than you know..and they turned down the idea years ago...they do make a lot of police and military stuff though...way more money in it 😂.

Tylsie

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2018, 03:14:56 PM »

Will be honest, I don't any Simms equipment. Fishing the local rivers I am a pretty much fair weather fisherman. On lakes or the ocean is completely different, but I use different equipment for the specialty for that. That being said, this discussion on where a product is made is ridiculous. When it comes to some of my hiking and hunting gear I have items from all over the world. Some from Europe, some Asia, Canada, the USA, all over. Yes, if a product is made I would expect a quicker turn around on warranty but I would not expect a higher quality of repair. I hold everyone to the same standard. Only one time have I ever been disappointing and with a very established manufacturer in Europe and the time was not the problem. Reading the OP's original complaint it appears in this case Simms failed to repair the product properly. Location does not excuse bad service.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »

So we are basically trashing a company, one that is probably the top in terms of quality and workmanship and is the preferred choice for many guides in north america based on one rant on this forum?  Then we have some crazy theories on pricing policies put forth by so called "experts" who think they know it all.  I own a crap ton of gear (my wife says too much) from Simms.  I have had nothing but positive experiences from them..........

Why do I go with Simms?  They fit me well and they use quality materials and most importantly of all they keep me dry.  I never put my gear in the washing machine despite what they say.

Time for you to leave this thread SBM
It ain't the roe bro'

uliwon

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »

Yes...the dead horse has been flooded enough...😂

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2018, 01:51:57 PM »

Yes...the dead horse has been flooded enough...😂

Like my granddad always said: A dead horse in hand is worth more than two floods in the bush.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »

..and here I always thought dead horses were beaten or flogged.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

spoiler

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »

I just noticed my two year old Simms freestone wading boots are delaminating where the sole attaches to the boot. anyone else having this problem? I will try and re-glue them but if anyone else has gone through this drill, any advice would be welcomed.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:33 AM »

I just noticed my two year old Simms freestone wading boots are delaminating where the sole attaches to the boot. anyone else having this problem? I will try and re-glue them but if anyone else has gone through this drill, any advice would be welcomed.

Had same problem with my simms boots. Local cobbler did excellent job for 15 clams. :)

spoiler

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:26 AM »

thanks tadpole!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »

That's actually completely untrue, 100% incorrect. Simms was sold in American dollars, so therefore at the mercy of the fluctuating dollar and currency markets, further to that, with Asian made goods, tack on another 18% duty to the cost to the dealer, then add margin. So when the dollar tanked, prices went up on new product.

Simms invested in its Canadian market by changing things. It bills in Canadian dollars and cut prices on key popular products to remain competitive and take some of the sting out of exchange and high duties.

You want to point a finger, point it at Government tariffs. There are no Canadian industries producing waders and fishing products that require tariff protections anymore, they left long ago. So the 18-19% duties are a simple tax grab.

Simms is investing further to reduce the duty drag on MSRP pricing in Canada , stay tuned.

I wasn't referring to import tariffs and the bs tied into them.  I'm strictly comparing apples to apples...company to company, ie Frog Toggs to Simms. It doesn't matter which country you buy them from it seems Simms always out price their competitors. I know they sell quality product, but their pricing is still steep especially when some of their lines are out sourced, costing pennies to the US dollar.

I own an original guide jacket from Simms and also a Hellbender which I received as a gift last summer....and to be honest, I don't see a huge difference in performance or quality...at least not enough to justify one being 3 times the price....Am I an expert? Of course not...just a personal observation and point of view.