Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Rant  (Read 32650 times)

ribolovac02

Re: Simms Rant
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:22 AM »

As far as Simms goes , who ever thinks they will get a better product for less money , they are greatly mistaken, Simms overall is a great company that makes products that suit all of us , price is steep but very well worth it .
Simms products are the only once I ever tried that they fit absolutely perfect , this might be just me, and one day most of you will realize how important the fit is , it’s basically everything , if it dosnt fit , it will wreck somewhere eventually , if it fits it will last along time...

Anyways Simms products are by far better quality than anything out there , I believe , until something bettter comes out , I will stick to simmms for a while ...

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2018, 07:13:52 AM »

As far as Simms goes , who ever thinks they will get a better product for less money , they are greatly mistaken, Simms overall is a great company that makes products that suit all of us , price is steep but very well worth it .
Simms products are the only once I ever tried that they fit absolutely perfect , this might be just me, and one day most of you will realize how important the fit is , it’s basically everything , if it dosnt fit , it will wreck somewhere eventually , if it fits it will last along time...

Anyways Simms products are by far better quality than anything out there , I believe , until something bettter comes out , I will stick to simmms for a while ...
meh. Fit doesn't matter if it falls apart and they don't honour their warranty.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »

Here's a video I just put up on how to patch your Simms waders properly and some tips on maintenance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDpj6iVwEIw

Thanks Uliwon and PA for doing this.

lapa

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »

Here's a video I just put up on how to patch your Simms waders properly and some tips on maintenance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDpj6iVwEIw

Thanks Uliwon and PA for doing this.
Thanks rod. Very informative video.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »

As far as Simms goes , who ever thinks they will get a better product for less money , they are greatly mistaken, Simms overall is a great company that makes product that suit all of us , price is steep but very well worth it .

There was a time when Patagonia had that dubious title...where are they now? Companies need to learn from history and the needs of consumers. Quality doesn't justify gouging. When Simms first came out they undersold their product to compete with Patagonia and Bare. Now they're on top of the food chain and doing exactly what their predecessors did when they had the market. I can't wait for the day when Frog Toggs ups the anti, just like what they're doing now with their wading jackets.

And if you think I'm wrong, why did our local tackle shops drop their prices back down after their Simms line got jacked by 17 percent back in 2015? Less than 6 months later, they retracted back to their previous prices. That was Simms testing to see how high they could go with our Canadian market and the tolerance our loonie could withstand.

Shinny

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

meh. Fit doesn't matter if it falls apart and they don't honour their warranty.

Totally agreee. I’m not going to a suit and black tie dinner party. I’m fishing. These waders aren’t tailored to individuals. If you happen to be a tall regular guy then the tall regular waders will fit pretty well.

SS got/is getting the run around in my opinion. This thread started on dec 22nd and he was having issues before that with the warranty process iirc . A month later now and unless I missed the post he still has the original jacket with the terrible repair that Simms did.. correct?

It’s nice that Uliwon who is a Simms Rep got involved in the thread but the issue was never addressed. He didn’t want to get involved in a warrantee conversation on the internet fine...All uliwon added to the thread was washing and care instructions but that’s already been talked to death.  ::)

Simms makes some pretty decent stuff but it should for the price. I guess I know what to expect..or not expect from the warranty . Once it leaves the store and touches water it has no warranty... or so it seems.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:15:04 PM by Shinny »

bobby b

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2018, 07:20:39 PM »

Once it leaves the store and touches water it has no warrantee... or so it seems.

Not necessarily....  I have the exact same jacket and after about a year I had an issue with wear on the inside of one arm. The store I purchased it from sent it back to Simms. After some talk back and forth to Simms ( the store communicated with Simms ....not myself ) , they sent out a new Jacket to replace it. Which is what I expected from the 'warranty' . btw.... I was not charged for shipping either to or from Simms. However, I dont know if the store ate that at all....

I do agree though that it does seem like S/S is getting a bit of a run around.

Re: The velcro. After washing my new jacket several times now in my washing machine on delicate cycle, I have not experienced any issues at all with the velcro. It has held up well and is still 'as new' .... had it about 7-8 months now, granted.... I did not use it much in the Summer.
 Hopefully S/S and Simms will get his issue sorted.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:29:17 PM by bobby b »

Shinny

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:54 PM »

I think my statement “Once it leaves the store and touches water it has no warrantee... or so it seems“ is probably a bit harsh.  :-*

Not all of the Simms products are going to carry the same warranty understandably. Freestones vs Guide will have different warranty’s I assume. If you have a store doing the legwork (phone calls, shipping ect) for you they definitely have more pull with the supplier than you would trying to deal with them directly.

Would a jacket purchased at Sea-run carry the same warrantee as one purchased on eBay? You would think so but maybe not... I would bet that Sea-run would get a jacket replaced quicker than a consumer could. It’s always good when the retailer steps up to the plate for the consumer and deals with the supplier/manufacture of the product.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:11:26 PM by Shinny »

bobby b

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:28 PM »

It’s always good when the retailer steps up to the plate for the consumer and deals with the supplier/manufacture of the product.

Absolutely

uliwon

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:17 PM »

There was a time when Patagonia had that dubious title...where are they now? Companies need to learn from history and the needs of consumers. Quality doesn't justify gouging. When Simms first came out they undersold their product to compete with Patagonia and Bare. Now they're on top of the food chain and doing exactly what their predecessors did when they had the market. I can't wait for the day when Frog Toggs ups the anti, just like what they're doing now with their wading jackets.

And if you think I'm wrong, why did our local tackle shops drop their prices back down after their Simms line got jacked by 17 percent back in 2015? Less than 6 months later, they retracted back to their previous prices. That was Simms testing to see how high they could go with our Canadian market and the tolerance our loonie could withstand.

That's actually completely untrue, 100% incorrect. Simms was sold in American dollars, so therefore at the mercy of the fluctuating dollar and currency markets, further to that, with Asian made goods, tack on another 18% duty to the cost to the dealer, then add margin. So when the dollar tanked, prices went up on new product.

Simms invested in its Canadian market by changing things. It bills in Canadian dollars and cut prices on key popular products to remain competitive and take some of the sting out of exchange and high duties.

You want to point a finger, point it at Government tariffs. There are no Canadian industries producing waders and fishing products that require tariff protections anymore, they left long ago. So the 18-19% duties are a simple tax grab.

Simms is investing further to reduce the duty drag on MSRP pricing in Canada , stay tuned.

uliwon

« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »

Totally agreee. I’m not going to a suit and black tie dinner party. I’m fishing. These waders aren’t tailored to individuals. If you happen to be a tall regular guy then the tall regular waders will fit pretty well.

SS got/is getting the run around in my opinion. This thread started on dec 22nd and he was having issues before that with the warranty process iirc . A month later now and unless I missed the post he still has the original jacket with the terrible repair that Simms did.. correct?

It’s nice that Uliwon who is a Simms Rep got involved in the thread but the issue was never addressed. He didn’t want to get involved in a warrantee conversation on the internet fine...All uliwon added to the thread was washing and care instructions but that’s already been talked to death.  ::)

Simms makes some pretty decent stuff but it should for the price. I guess I know what to expect..or not expect from the warranty . Once it leaves the store and touches water it has no warranty... or so it seems.

Respectfully...

How do you know what has been done or not done? You are making assumptions to suit your personal narrative, which isn't really accurate or fair to this situation.

This is precisely why it's the kiss of death to address a service issue online. I have spend a fair chunk of time addressing the issue with the customer involved and looking after him directly and privately. I expect it will be wrapped up forthwith if not already...

Tight lines...

uliwon

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »

I think my statement “Once it leaves the store and touches water it has no warrantee... or so it seems“ is probably a bit harsh.  :-*

Not all of the Simms products are going to carry the same warranty understandably. Freestones vs Guide will have different warranty’s I assume. If you have a store doing the legwork (phone calls, shipping ect) for you they definitely have more pull with the supplier than you would trying to deal with them directly.

Would a jacket purchased at Sea-run carry the same warrantee as one purchased on eBay? You would think so but maybe not... I would bet that Sea-run would get a jacket replaced quicker than a consumer could. It’s always good when the retailer steps up to the plate for the consumer and deals with the supplier/manufacture of the product.

Www.simmsfishing.com/explore/repairs.html

Simms stands behind their products for the EXPECTED lifetime of materials and workmanship...Obviously this varies based on use.

Simms product warranty is stated on the website...actually most of the info I've shared here and on YT on the site, plus videos.

The benefit of a dealer purchase is if the wader is leaking within 30 days of purchase, outside of being noticeably damaged, there is an over-the-counter replacement option. This wouldn't apply to EBay purchases no...of course not, but you likely have recourse via EBay and the seller.

Freestone to G4Z have the same one year warranty, plus the 30 day over the counter as per the website. Simms offer the 'first repair is on us' service after 30 days and inside the first year.

Simms priority is your satisfaction...however, let's be honest, this gets abused by folks with unreasonable expectations, stuff gets worn out...just like tires on a vehicle, nothing is forever.

Goretex products have their own WL Gore warranty as it related to the fabrics used..in case of delaminatios etc.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2018, 07:13:35 AM »

So, in conclusion, we polished the t*urd furiously, but we still ended up with a t*urd, albeit a shiny one. As most would see it, the issue was mishandled from the get go and asking the man to resend the jacket at his expense just iced the cake. How is that great customer service?
BTW - I don't envy you having to defend this lapse. Whichever way it turns out, you lose potential customers - because the repair person blew it. I run a service business and I handle customer issues in a different way than Simms chooses.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:47:10 AM by Novabonker »
http://

Shinny

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 08:24:28 AM »

Respectfully...

How do you know what has been done or not done? You are making assumptions to suit your personal narrative, which isn't really accurate or fair to this situation.

This is precisely why it's the kiss of death to address a service issue online. I have spend a fair chunk of time addressing the issue with the customer involved and looking after him directly and privately. I expect it will be wrapped up forthwith if not already...

Tight lines...

I don't  know what has been done or what hasn't been done besides what's been mentioned in this thread, I don't see a final update from SS stating that he was taken cared of by Simms..so yes I assume he is still waiting. 

What are we at now? almost 8 weeks into this topic and he was having issue before then and as far as everyone on FWR is concerned except for yourself the issue hasn't been resolved.

What a hassle SS has gone through...

Just as a comparison my wife's arc'teryx jacket started to come apart at the start of January. I took it into the office on dollarton hwy in and it's already been replaced. Now that's a warranty!!!  ;)

Arcteryx needs to start make some fishing gear 8)

96XJ

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »

If you think Simms stuff is expensive , wait till arc'teryx starts making fishing gear