Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Rant  (Read 33012 times)

sbc hris

Re: Simms Rant
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »

The damage control is quite lacking to put it mildly. You still don't address the velcro issue and the sorry way Simms dealt with it. SS has every right to be pi$$ed about that. This is a fair sized market and to maintain a share of it, you'll have to do way better than that.

Yep. My waders are almost at the end of their life, and from all I’ve been hearing lately, I doubt I’ll be buying another pair of Simms.

uliwon

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »

The damage control is quite lacking to put it mildly. You still don't address the velcro issue and the sorry way Simms dealt with it. SS has every right to be pi$$ed about that. This is a fair sized market and to maintain a share of it, you'll have to do way better than that.

I'm sorry? Did you not read the first sentence of my post? I have exchanged numerous emails with SS directly, and would expect that when we rectify his situation to his 100% satisfaction, he could report back to this forum if he chooses.

It's not my desire nor place to engage in his personal warranty issues on a public forum, nor anybody elses for that matter.

Simms is the premier no #1 brand in waders for a reason, and I'm happy to help out folks like SS who feel let down, however it would be silly and a flat out waste of time to service these issues online on a forum setting.

Tights lines

Sbm

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2018, 09:01:16 PM »

I'm sorry? Did you not read the first sentence of my post? I have exchanged numerous emails with SS directly, and would expect that when we rectify his situation to his 100% satisfaction, he could report back to this forum if he chooses.

It's not my desire nor place to engage in his personal warranty issues on a public forum, nor anybody elses for that matter.

Simms is the premier no #1 brand in waders for a reason, and I'm happy to help out folks like SS who feel let down, however it would be silly and a flat out waste of time to service these issues online on a forum setting.

Tights lines

Sbm
Good post. What brand of detergent do you recommend for washing the jacket and waders? What DWR product do you recommend to spray on the waders and jacket? I have a ton of money invested in my Simms coat and waders and would like to maintain them properly. Thanx!

uliwon

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2018, 12:17:49 AM »

Good post. What brand of detergent do you recommend for washing the jacket and waders? What DWR product do you recommend to spray on the waders and jacket? I have a ton of money invested in my Simms coat and waders and would like to maintain them properly. Thanx!

Thanks...

Nikwax tech wash and wash-in DWR is what I use. Granger is also good. Revivex spray on also works well.

You only use an once on the wash, but the DWR wash-in is the whole bottle...so do 2-3 pieces at once for best results..

Personally I then let it hang dry abut then use the dryer, but a hair dryer works well too, just takes awhile, but you can really focus on critical wear areas like the sleeves.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »

Simms warranty on waders is excellent from all I have heard. It would be nice to hear how Redington handles a jacket issue.

To be fair to Simms I should say that both my G3 waders and Guide boots have held up excellent. The waders I've had for 5+ years and I fish fairly often and sometimes bushwack. Have fallen lots on my rear end on rocks, etc. No issues with the waders at all minus some pin hole leaks from prickle bushes or hooks, and that will happen with any brand. Easily repairable with Aquaseal. The boots have also held up unbelievably well. They are on their 3rd refelting now and still looks faily new and fit tight/solid.

The G3 jacket, well, obviously I got a bit of a bad run/lemon. The "bones" of the jacket are fine, just the little fit & finish things like the Velcro pockets and magnets are an issue. Luckily uliwon, the Western Canada Simms Rep, saw this thread and contacted me. He has been straight up and good to deal with. I like honesty! Just tell me what I'm likely to get, unlike Simms USA who led me to believe I'd be taken care of if I mailed them jacket, and we all know how that went. Uliwon was honest in that I'm not going to get a new jacket unless I roll the dice and send my jacket back to Simms (again). I said ain't happening. We worked out a deal where I'm going to get some other stuff that I feel fairly compensates me for my $ spent mailing the jacket, and my time and hassle fixing it myself.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:17:10 PM by Spawn Sack »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

Thanks...

Nikwax tech wash and wash-in DWR is what I use. Granger is also good. Revivex spray on also works well.

You only use an once on the wash, but the DWR wash-in is the whole bottle...so do 2-3 pieces at once for best results..

Personally I then let it hang dry abut then use the dryer, but a hair dryer works well too, just takes awhile, but you can really focus on critical wear areas like the sleeves.
Thanx for the reply. Where can I purchase theses products?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »

To be fair to Simms I should say that both my G3 waders and Guide boots have held up excellent. The waders I've had for 5+ years and I fish fairly often and sometimes bushwack. Have fallen lots on my my friend on rocks, etc. No issues with the waders at all minus some pin hole leaks from prickle bushes or hooks, and that will happen with any brand. Easily repairable with Aquaseal. The boots have also held up unbelievably well. They are on their 3rd refelting now and still looks faily new and fit tight/solid.

The G3 jacket, well, obviously I got a bit of a bad run/lemon. The "bones" of the jacket are fine, just the little fit & finish things like the Velcro pockets and magnets are an issue. Luckily uliwon, the Western Canada Simms Rep, saw this thread and contacted me. He has been straight up and good to deal with. I like honesty! Just tell me what I'm likely to get, unlike Simms USA who led me to believe I'd be taken care of if I mailed them jacket, and we all know how that went. Uliwon was honest in that I'm not going to get a new jacket unless I roll the dice and send my jacket back to Simms (again). I said ain't happening. We worked out a deal where I'm going to get some other stuff that I feel fairly compensates me for my $ spent mailing the jacket, and my time and hassle fixing it myself.
Good post. Just bought my first set of Simms boots. Hey bro when the time comes where do you take your boots for re-felting?

uliwon

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »

Thanx for the reply. Where can I purchase theses products?

Most shops should sell it, otherwise ski shops, MEC for sure, or online.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »

Tights lines

Sbm

If I cut my finger, I put some polysporin and a bandaid on it so it doesn't get infected.  ;) Whoever's in charge of that department might need some training or company policy might need a tweaking because somewhere along the line, the ball got dropped. This is just an observation, I'm quite sure your products are of good quality and value, it's just the customer service thing is in need.
http://

Blackrt03

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2018, 09:48:23 PM »

Good post. Just bought my first set of Simms boots. Hey bro when the time comes where do you take your boots for re-felting?

Took my boots to Kevin at Express Reel.

riley dog

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »

I have had Kevin at Express Reel re-felt my 2014 G-3 boots twice now. He does a great job, and will have you back fishing quickly.
Had them done last month, and they were ready for pickup in two days.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »

I have had Kevin at Express Reel re-felt my 2014 G-3 boots twice now. He does a great job, and will have you back fishing quickly.
Where is Express reel? Never heard of it. I live in Chilliwack. Thanx

Blackrt03

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »

Where is Express reel? Never heard of it. I live in Chilliwack. Thanx

Located in Chilliwack. Link to his site http://www.expressreelservice.com/Felt_Sole_Replacement.html

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

I also take my boots to Express Reel for refelting, and any reels that need servicing. Kevin is a great guy and does excellent work!! To re felt is not cheap, about 60 bucks. But I figure by the time I buy the felt, glue, and so on I can of course do it for less, but I'm not saving a ton. I've heard it's a messy and pain in the butt job, and if not done right the felt will start to peel. Have had refelting done at Express Reel three times with no issues.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »