Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Simms Rant  (Read 32940 times)

Jk47

Re: Simms Rant
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »

Lol funny. I see it this way: If the waders, boots, jackets etc are the technical gear that a company produces, then the hats and t-shirts etc are the product ENDORSEMENT and FREE ADVERTISING that company can get their consumers wearing. If I think a pruduct is crap and their customer service sucks, then I’m not going to buy and wear their clothing in spite. I’m going to consciously advertise and endorse a pruduct I feel is worthy.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »

After 5 pages on this topic it’s became very clear to me it’s just not worth the thousand dollars for a Simms  get up.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »

After 5 pages on this topic it’s became very clear to me it’s just not worth the thousand dollars for a Simms  get up.
Oh, I have Simms G3 convertible waders and have been very happy with them.
I think they actually care about their wader reputation. I think the don't care about their jacket reputation.
No matter. Next waders for me will be Reddington.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:17 PM »

Alright finally some pics!!

The first two are the pockets AFTER Simms "repaired" them. Originally the soft side Velcro was badly frayed. Little hairs sticking out everywhere. It looked awful! Instead of replacing this Velcro which is obviously garbage, they just trimmed off the frayed hairs and sewed back and forth over it several times. The pictures were taken right after I got the jacket back. Since washing the jacket once and fishing several times the Velcro is again all frayed and falling apart. When I get around to it I will seam rip it off and stitch on some new stuff. Slow and painful but no where near as painful as dealing with Simms warranty service and paying to mail the jacket to them.

Other pic is of the magnets and patches after Simms "repaired" them (they both fell off before I mailed the jacket in). The repair job didn't even last one wash in a front load washer. Luckily I found both magnets and patches stuck to the drum and was able to do a better fix myself.

Last pics are of my fix for the magnets. I put a dab of Aquaseal on the patch + magnet and stuck it to the jacket. This probably would have held but to be sure I stitched it with heavy duty black thread then put Aqua Seal on the threads on the inside of the jacket to ensure the job never leaks.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:12:07 AM by Spawn Sack »

Jk47

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »

What a joke. That’s terrible. I hope there’s a Simms rep reading this

Shinny

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »

Pics aren’t working ...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:53 AM »

Pics aren’t working ...

They should work man. Must be something up with your computer. Lacking a certain program needed to view them. I can view the pics on my home PC, work PC, and cellphone.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »

Pics aren’t working ...

I can see them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2018, 12:30:13 PM »

Pics worked last night but not now.

bobby b

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2018, 01:15:45 PM »

I dont see them either...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »

you 2 probably need the photobucket plug in as I still see them
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

uliwon

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »

As the Western Canadian Simms rep I have reached out to SS about his matter.

But to touch on a couple things posted here.

It's fine to wash Garments yes. But a couple key details. Goretex is essentially pores, and those pores  clog with dirt, oil, other contamients. The process to clean it is simple enough, but you absolutely have to follow directions as SS did, and use performance fabric wash to first clean the textile, NOT a regular detergent, as it leaves residue in the pores, then a second process, either washed in or sprayed on, to replace the DWR water repellancy of the fabric. The final step involves heat to allow the DWR chemical to bond to the fabric and create the barrier. A hair dryer works best, but I've also let the garment hang for awhile first then used a low heat dryer cycle.

If your jacket is 'wetting out', meaning the fabric looks wet and is holding water, it's time to invest a few bucks in it to perform best.

Washing your waders is different, but also a good idea depending on use.

High performance textiles eventually require maintenance. Doesnt matter if you drive a Yugo  or a Austin Martin, both need an oil change sooner or later, depending on use.

Your gear isn't any different.

I'd also advocate to buy gear based on usage...guide waders are called Guide because they are designed around guide type use...so if you fish a ton, don't expect guide type durability out of price point waders built for the weekend angler who only gets out here and there.  You will be disappointed.

Talk to your store guy about your usage, then make a buy based on the that. Warranty isn't a guarantee that's automatic, it's case specific. We want to connect anglers to their best days on the water.

Regards,

Sbm

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:23:21 PM by uliwon »

redside1

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »

No matter. Next waders for me will be Reddington.

the warranty on Redington is first rate I should tell you. I only needed to use it 3 times within around 20 days of fishing on Sonic dryfly chest waders. Zippered front failed,  material separated, neoprene feet failed. Service was first rate and usually took less than a week to get a replacement pair back. Sold the last brand new replacement pair and switched brands. Hodgman's have stood up well so far

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »

the warranty on Redington is first rate I should tell you. I only needed to use it 3 times within around 20 days of fishing on Sonic dryfly chest waders. Zippered front failed,  material separated, neoprene feet failed. Service was first rate and usually took less than a week to get a replacement pair back. Sold the last brand new replacement pair and switched brands. Hodgman's have stood up well so far
Simms warranty on waders is excellent from all I have heard. It would be nice to hear how Redington handles a jacket issue.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »

As the Western Canadian Simms rep I have reached out to SS about his matter.

But to touch on a couple things posted here.

It's fine to wash Garments yes. But a couple key details. Goretex is essentially pores, and those pores  clog with dirt, oil, other contamients. The process to clean it is simple enough, but you absolutely have to follow directions as SS did, and use performance fabric wash to first clean the textile, NOT a regular detergent, as it leaves residue in the pores, then a second process, either washed in or sprayed on, to replace the DWR water repellancy of the fabric. The final step involves heat to allow the DWR chemical to bond to the fabric and create the barrier. A hair dryer works best, but I've also let the garment hang for awhile first then used a low heat dryer cycle.

If your jacket is 'wetting out', meaning the fabric looks wet and is holding water, it's time to invest a few bucks in it to perform best.

Washing your waders is different, but also a good idea depending on use.

High performance textiles eventually require maintenance. Doesnt matter if you drive a Yugo  or a Austin Martin, both need an oil change sooner or later, depending on use.

Your gear isn't any different.

I'd also advocate to buy gear based on usage...guide waders are called Guide because they are designed around guide type use...so if you fish a ton, don't expect guide type durability out of price point waders built for the weekend angler who only gets out here and there.  You will be disappointed.

Talk to your store guy about your usage, then make a buy based on the that. Warranty isn't a guarantee that's automatic, it's case specific. We want to connect anglers to their best days on the water.

Regards,

Sbm

The damage control is quite lacking to put it mildly. You still don't address the velcro issue and the sorry way Simms dealt with it. SS has every right to be pi$$ed about that. This is a fair sized market and to maintain a share of it, you'll have to do way better than that.
http://
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9