Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms Rant  (Read 33013 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Simms Rant
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 09:06:53 PM »

I should also mention that I don't fish smelly baits so my fishing attire does not need washing. It's get washed in the river and every downpour. My Simms coat and waders will last for yrs and yrs I'm sure cuz I payed an arm and leg for both.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »

I will somewhat agree with Wiseguy in that over washing garments is not a good thing. For example my jeans, merino wool shirts and long johns, down jackets and sleeping bag, and so on I only wash when they really need it. However I do not agree "that the washer ruins garments." Unless of course it is something that is supposed to be dry cleaned or whatever. If you toss your leather jacket in the washing machine it will likely ruin it!
Gortex jackets on the contrary are designed to withstand repeated runs through the washer and dryer. If it was not for the Velcro pockets that are falling apart and the magnets that have both fallen off, the jacket would be fine.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »

I should also mention that I don't fish smelly baits so my fishing attire does not need washing. It's get washed in the river and every downpour. My Simms coat and waders will last for yrs and yrs I'm sure cuz I payed an arm and leg for both.

I friggin walk like tin man on the river from all the roe stains and cement and glue holding all the seams on my Simms Waders  together.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »

That makes about as much sense as saying "I don't pee my pants, so my underwear does not need washing."

Sweat, body oil and so on will soil your jacket eventually. Rain and river water do not "wash" your garments. You need soap of some sort. I use a soap designed for gortex garments, Nikwax Techwash. It works great!

I imagine you as one of those guys with blankets over all his furniture to minimise wear and soiling, no eating in the vehicle to avoid the need to vacuum which is hard on the upholstery, no driving on bumpy roads as it is hard on the shocks... 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:27:51 PM by Spawn Sack »

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 01:07:27 AM »

The borax from my bait washes my waders just fine while I’m fishing! Couldn’t resist! 😝
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2018, 12:01:02 PM »

Well after 3+ weeks waiting I got a reply back from Simms today! I'll copy and paste it here.

"Kyle,

I apologize as it seems like our response did not make it to you.

What I can say is that you are correct that the Velcro should have been replaced and not simply repaired. Unfortunately, we do not have a way to remedy the situation without getting the jacket sent back in.

Thanks,

Christian Schumacher
SIMMS FISHING PRODUCTS
Pro Services Supervisor
888.585.3570 | www.simmsfishing.com
177 Garden Drive | Bozeman, MT 59718

I sent Christian a not so nice reply back.

Apologies for not posting pics yet, still waiting to get computer back from the shop. :-\
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:02:46 PM by Spawn Sack »

Shinny

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »

And the run around continues it looks like. "Christian"  doesn't even suggest you ship it back at Simms expense since they didn't do a proper job the first time. What terrible customer service...wow. So he just left you hanging like that? Basically saying they can't do anything because Simms doesn't have the jacket? What a joke.. :-\

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »

I have this same problem with my G3 guide jacket, seems they just glued the Velcro and di not sew it to the jacket.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2018, 01:55:02 PM »

still waiting to get computer back from the shop. :-\

Jacket, computer, wading boots...

Is it just me, or is there a pattern emerging? :)

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »

Interesting thread! I like Simms for waders/boots and haven't tried their jackets, instead I've really enjoyed Fishing Shell Jackets (lighter waterproof jackets). These shells will sometimes come with the nice fishing extras (velcro, waterproof zippers, clips, etc) and are usually around $150-$200. Keep in mind, with the shells you'll need a sweater or something underneath to match the weather. Anyway, it might be a good alternative for those who can't drop $600 on a jacket. I've found these jackets have lasted me many many years.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest Rapala fan but their Fishing Shell has been great thus far (almost 2 years): https://rapala.fishing/products/interface-rain-jacket.  I use it on the river, work and socially now.  ;D

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »

My thoughts exactly!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »

Meh. "First World Problems." Could be having a lot worse problems than this.
Interesting thread! I like Simms for waders/boots and haven't tried their jackets, instead I've really enjoyed Fishing Shell Jackets (lighter waterproof jackets). These shells will sometimes come with the nice fishing extras (velcro, waterproof zippers, clips, etc) and are usually around $150-$200. Keep in mind, with the shells you'll need a sweater or something underneath to match the weather. Anyway, it might be a good alternative for those who can't drop $600 on a jacket. I've found these jackets have lasted me many many years.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest Rapala fan but their Fishing Shell has been great thus far (almost 2 years): https://rapala.fishing/products/interface-rain-jacket.  I use it on the river, work and socially now.  ;D

I looked at this jacket at Dart and Tackle before I bought the G3. The Rapala jacket looks nice and has good reviews but IMO the pockets are not suitable for fishing, at least for me. I hate wearing a vest and prefer to stuff most of my stuff in my jacket cargo pockets, rear cargo giant pocket, and waist pack. Personally I don't like the hiking/rain style jackets with tiny pockets. I guess if your jacket is just to keep you dry and you stuff all your crap elsewhere then this system would work well.

I still quite like my G3 jacket but it does concern me that it is not holding up that well after less than 2 years. I have already fixed the magnets myself and will restitch the Velcro myself when it shreds apart (again) to the point of being unusable.

Unless Simms steps up and offers me some sort of compensation for their botched repair job and leaving me hanging to fix the jacket on my own, I will never - EVER - buy another Simms product again short of a hat or tshirt etc. Certainly never another jacket or waders, boots, etc. I don't mind paying top buck for good stuff, but if it fails and is clearly a defect in materials or workmanship I expect to be treated well and for the company to make it right. Simms has had a very nonchalant attitude about this from the beginning, and I feel they are going to keep giving me generic responses to my emails until I just give up and stop pestering them.

By contrast I recently had an issue with the Korkers boots I got for xmas. After a few trips out 3 of the rivets that secure the eyelet to the boot came off the boot >:( After the awful experience with Simms customer service I dreaded contacting Korkers. I figured they would want me to mail the boots in for an evaluation, get the run around, and so on. NOPE! First they admitted yup there was a bad run of those boots and the loose rivets is a known issue. They did ask for a few pictures and after that said they would be sending me a new pair of boots ASAP at no charge. All they asked is when I receive them I destroy the current pair by cutting the tongues out, and send them a pic of this as proof. Now that is good customer service!

Seems most waders, jackets, boots etc are now made in China or SE Asia. By and large the quality is still fine, but "lemons" and bad batches do pass quality control. It happens. It's how the manufacturer deals with these claims that makes me want to buy their stuff again. Seems Simms still wants top buck for their gear but does not stand behind it when warranty issues arise.

You have lost my business Simms.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:32:53 AM by Spawn Sack »

Jk47

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »

I will never - EVER - buy another Simms product again short of a hat or tshirt etc

You have lost my business Simms.
My question is why on earth would you ever consider buying a hat or t-shirt from a company you are so adamantly dissatisfied with? Just to look cool?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »

Yes - just to look cool. My image on the river still matters to me. When I roll into a run, I want people to notice my good taste in Simms outerwear and conclude I must be an accomplished fisherman. Typically everyone reels in, takes a few steps back, avoids eye contact, and gives me an uninterrupted go at the holding water.

No seriously, I may have exaggerated a bit by saying I will never buy Simms again. Allow me to clarify by saying I will never buy another "big ticket" (gortex jacket, waders, etc) Simms item. Even if they were to send me a free G3 jacket today I would still not buy another big ticket item. They do not stand behind their products and their customer service sucks. Would not want to ever deal with the warranty department again. When the time comes for new big ticket items I will go Patagonia or similar grade.

However, if I see something nice, esp if on sale/clearance, and it happens to be Simms brand, I do not have my hate on for them to such a degree that I would steer clear of everything they sell. Items I would consider buying are: hat, shirt, chap stick, nippers, socks, moisture wicking man thong.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »

I will never buy Simms again.