Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016/17 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 98429 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Over the years I have learned not to even bother for steelhead for like 2-4 weeks after the derby. There such territorial fish it seems like every year takes awhile for them to move in or around again. Key seems to be to get out a few days before but if people are catching you won't find any reports.

Glade some people are having some luck after the derby hope this bodes well for the stock.

Happy Hunting
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:30:14 PM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Wind has now died down but still cool. The calm before the next snow hits tomorrow.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!

Over the years I have learned not to even bother for steelhead for like 2-4 weeks after the derby. There such territorial fish it seems like every year takes awhile for them to move in or around again. Key seems to be to get out a few days before but if people are catching you won't find any reports.

Glade some people are having some luck after the derby hope this bodes well for the stock.

Happy Hunting
Glad you didn't post this on the 27th of December! I would have stayed home on the 28th and not caught a Steelhead or 3!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

b8floater

New river report as of 3:30 today - https://youtu.be/AwabBC2JEG4

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Wind picked up again today, lots of anglers out when i took a drive around including a number bar fishing in and below the Canal, they were keeping warm huddled around a fire.

mikeyman

Fished yesterday. Started at the crossing. Wont do that again with the construction going on. Fished down a ways no fish. Then fished train bridge area. The river is lower then I can remember making for very tuff fishing.  I assume fishing will be slow until we get a warming trend to bump the levels up. So many tail outs are so low cant see fish moving much until low light conditions. What fish are in are probably hiding out and not up to biting with the cold. Good luck! Still nice to get out.

Taboo

Fished for 4 hours or so today.  The wind made it tough on the lower river, and despite being above zero she was brisk!  Saw a boot black wild coho landed up river but nothing else.  I was experimenting with jigs and spent more time messing around with my gear than casts in the water.  Always nice to be out though!

bobby b

Fished today too.

Stopped for a bit in the lower but had enough of the wind and head up river. Nothing for me.. Water looked super clear. Saw a few old very dark and zombified Coho up near the slab.

Saw a big ole' bobcat across from me while I was up river. Saw a few of them last year too, but not as big as this one....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

About 4 inches of snow this AM, school are closed so I guess the fishing is too.  :-\ :-\

bobby b

Was like a blizzard when I left yesterday

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Yesterday was a lovely afternoon on the river and many other anglers thought the same as there were people everywhere.  I talked to a number of them and no one reported a fish.

I had a nice bite from a snag that took all but my float so went home disgusted.

The NE wind has started again today so I will leave the river to the younger crowd.

Silex-user

Yesterday was a lovely afternoon on the river and many other anglers thought the same as there were people everywhere.  I talked to a number of them and no one reported a fish.

I had a nice bite from a snag that took all but my float so went home disgusted.

The NE wind has started again today so I will leave the river to the younger crowd.

Chris maybe you caught rockfish. Tough to bring it  in. :D

Silex user

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Still windy and cold today but the wind has died down some.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

No wind to speak of this morning but still cold.

mikeyman

-12 up top this morning...-8 when we left...cold! Low! No fish.