Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pontoon uboat vs framed pontoon vs aluminum car topper  (Read 6564 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: pontoon uboat vs framed pontoon vs aluminum car topper
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 09:13:08 AM »

You didn't mention a budget - how much will you spend? You didn't mention where you plan to use your water craft.

Basically I would advise - if you can find the space for storage, if you can handle car topping the boat etc - get a good aluminum boat be it a standard 'tinny' or a jon boat. Everything else has downsides the small car topper does not. You need to buy a top quality roof rack from some company like Yakima or Rack attack - that's an investment but worth it. Some Jon boats are not suitable to stand and cast. Wider is better for this but it adds weight.

Buy a quality inflatable. Don't buy a house or off brand unless you can get recommendations from 3 or 4 owners. Aquamarine boats have had a reputation in this group, some of the others - be cautious. Used boats from Achilles, Avon etc, are the best value IMO not the least because they can be restored to like new condition if necessary.

I have never heard of a quality pontoon from a established company like Outcast that 'popped' a pontoon. Cheap ones from Costco or Army and Navy - yes.

Framed pontoons don't have a lot of advantages over small car toppers but have many disadvantages.
Frameless pontoons have a weight and storage advantage.
But almost all pontoons leave you fixed fishing in one direction. This can be hell on your neck.
Pontoons are not well suited to trolling.
You have to wear waders and flippers in pontoons.Your lower legs will mostly be in the water.
With a pontoon you will likely have to go ashore to take a leak.

Quality inflatables are superb. They are tough and stable. With a hard floor you can stand in the boat and feel very safe.
Quality inflatables are probably much safer in any kind of chop than any other choice.
Smaller inflatables store somewhat easier than car toppers and will fit in the trunk of a car.
You will lose time from your day with set up and take down. Inserting floor boards can be a chore.
Inflatables are inferior powerboats - that's why RIBs have become popular.
All inflatable owners will have to deal with leaks. Patching can be a challenge and a moderate to serious leak can scratch a fishing trip.
The usable space in an inflatable is much smaller than a car topper. I have a 10 ft Achilles and the interior space is about as big as a good sized bath tub; room for two.

PVC vs hypalon; hypalon is heavier, easier to patch and more resistant to punctures and UV. It is significantly more expensive.

FWIW I currently have the Achilles and an NFO Frameless pontoon. I mostly use the NFO as it is lighter and setup and take down is shorter. Weight is a big issue for me as I have back problems. I have also owned an 8 foot plywood punt and used a variety of small boats.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:20:12 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »

Ok I admit it.  I am sick of fishing from shore.    I am looking for something to fish the local lakes and interior lakes.  I am a bigger dude so I don't want anything mickey mouse.

2.  If I go with a car topper, my main concern is space.   I will find space for it but its got to be a pain in the but to transport it.   I would then need to buy a trailer.  and then a motor.. and then a battery  and then and then and then.

If a boat is so big or heavy that you have to trailer it, then by definition it is not a cartopper unless you get a truck boat loader but that's serious $$$. Something like a Lowe 1040 only weighs 85 lbs and can be put up on a roof rack by one person and cost same or less than a good brand inflatable. But you need space to store the thing. If you live in an apartment and cant stash a 10ft boat then you're basically limited to a quality inflatable.

You never said what type of fishing you like to do, so consider what accessories you need and how you would do it on your new boat. With aluminum cartopper you can mount anchor locks, rod holders, transducers, drink holders etc literally anywhere you feel like. If you like indicator fishing; ie double anchors, two rods, fish finder, you'll need to think carefully how to secure all that onto your craft and the interior space it will take up.

You said you're a larger guy. One benefit of inflatables is they do tend to have larger max weight capacities due to the buoyancy, which might be important to you.

I will admit lots more inflatables do seem to appear on the used market for very reasonable prices compared to used aluminums IMHO.

Another wild option is a foldable porta-bote. Rigid hull boat that folds totally flat for transport and storage. Never used one but seen a few floating around. Looks neat but $2-3000

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »

That Achilles posted on the last page is a good deal if it checks out.  It looks in great shape and "has never had an outboard mounted".  Which means less stress on the transom area and a reduced likelihood of hard beaching etc.  If $800 fits your budget, that is a good deal for a hypalon boat.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »

Don't forget to look at something like the Walker Bay dinghy.  Roto-molded plastic with a wheel in the skeg for one person moving.  It also has an inflated pontoon around it for added stability.  A lot of sailors use them for the light weight and carrying capacity.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »

the extent of my fishing will be trolling flys and some casting.... both flys and gear...

I had a 12 foot inflatable and I found it to be to big and the work after taking it out was a pain  - washing it and letting it dry...

in the same token... I am sure that stuff needs to be looked after and its part of the gig...

It looks like inflatable is the way to go.... but maybe not a 12.. maybe a 10 as its a little more easier to manager
see ya on the river

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »

the extent of my fishing will be trolling flys and some casting.... both flys and gear...

I had a 12 foot inflatable and I found it to be to big and the work after taking it out was a pain  - washing it and letting it dry...

in the same token... I am sure that stuff needs to be looked after and its part of the gig...

It looks like inflatable is the way to go.... but maybe not a 12.. maybe a 10 as its a little more easier to manager

How large is the boat when it is in storage. will the sedan trunk large enough for it?

Damien

• Old Timer

Old Blue

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »

I'd avoid the newer Zodiacs...junk compared to the older ones

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »

well... I think I have decided on a inflatable boat.    if anyone has anything they are interested in selling let me know. 
see ya on the river