Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Navigation Course Level 1 - April 22/23  (Read 4884 times)

Speyfitter

Re: River Navigation Course Level 1 - April 22/23
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »

Hey JK47 - one thing that would "look good" on your guiding resume is a 2+ day Swiftwater Rescue.  Also, if your intention is to have a 2 day river course on your resume to show that you are somehow good on the sticks - enough to take clients out and float/fish them on a raft or drift boat in a river, remember that whomever your future boss is may ask you to show them your skills before they allow you to take their clients out on a boat down a river. This is where JUST a 2 day course will be no where near enough (unless of course you invest in a boat and plan to gain copious amounts of experience floating rivers after the fact...???). If I were you I'd be looking at raft guide training courses. Kumsheen offers a 12 day course plus 2 day SRT ($2000-ish for the course plus $300-400 for the SRT) - early course is full, late course starting May 30th has some openings last I checked - I took this in 2015 and had a blast! Chilliwack River rafting offers a 9 day course in May as well for around $850-ish. There are also some south of the border as well. Getting some serious time out on the water in a semi-controlled environment is key. Most fishing guides ain't gonna be taking their clients out on anything crazy in most cases, I know, but being over prepared for if/when sh*t hits the fan ain't gonna hurt.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:52:22 AM by Speyfitter »