Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016/17 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 98421 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

4 hours approx from PT Atkinson is what I generally go by.
So about the same...

Twitchy

Just a reminder about etiquette, I know it's a busy river, but if you see another angler working down a run, don't jump in below them. I know it can be tempting sometimes if you see some nice water, but there is lots of river to fish and can always come back to a spot if it is occupied. For the most part people have been fishing and moving and being respectful and polite. I generally don't mind guys fishing below me if you ask, but I was working down a run right about to get to the prime holding spot and 3 guys came up river and started casting below me. You don't budge in line infront of people at the grocery store do you?

cdjk123

Went out for about 4ish hours today. Wasn't too busy, but there were people in the usual spots. Didn't take much to find solitude.

Started in Yarrow, and worked my way downstream for about 1km of the river, fishing all the fishy looking spots. One solid bump on float. Tried to get it to bite again, but no luck. Visibility was about 4 feet. Used pink worms, and some jigs.

Decided to head to the upper section, upstream of Allison. Very clear conditions, and will probably get clearer with the cold coming this week. Fished all sorts of runs-made sure to move around a lot.

Switched over to beads and caught a very ambitious whitefish lol, but that's it. Attempted one run on the fly-no luck. Headed home when the guides iced up.

If you're fishing this week, you might want to consider lightening up your presentation to match the water clarity.

Have fun out there.

-CK

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Just a reminder about etiquette, I know it's a busy river, but if you see another angler working down a run, don't jump in below them. I know it can be tempting sometimes if you see some nice water, but there is lots of river to fish and can always come back to a spot if it is occupied. For the most part people have been fishing and moving and being respectful and polite. I generally don't mind guys fishing below me if you ask, but I was working down a run right about to get to the prime holding spot and 3 guys came up river and started casting below me. You don't budge in line infront of people at the grocery store do you?

Sad, but these days on specifically the vedder, if I come to a vacant run, I'll fish the meat and potatoes first then go to the top and work my way through again. Maybe give that a try. Saves you from any hurt feelings knowing you've had your way with the run first.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

And no I'm not a low holer and I'm not justifying it by any means. I'm just saying its a lost cause in some areas.

HOOK

• Old Timer

Sad, but these days on specifically the vedder, if I come to a vacant run, I'll fish the meat and potatoes first then go to the top and work my way through again. Maybe give that a try. Saves you from any hurt feelings knowing you've had your way with the run first.

I do the same thing when I show up to an empty run. Fish the money water first then hit the less likely stuff
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

-4 and howling winds this AM, the fish are safe from me anyway.

Jk47

Had an amazing day out there yesterday. Fished from first light and was rewarded with fresh snow, sunshine, and entire runs all to myself for hours. When I DID come across others, everyone was respectful and polite. Even saw a couple frisky steelhead dart and jump just after first light (enough to keep me going all day). No fish for me but had a couple float downs that I'm sure we're missed bites. Gear never froze up, toes and fingers were warm all day and I found a mint balsa float (which I've really been enjoying using lately-I like the way they float and their sensitivity-and they're so affordable when they're FREE😜). Glad to have gotten out on such a perfect day before this cold snap sets its grip.

Nicolas The Fisherman

Was freezing this morning. The guides were freezing up every couple casts and after accidentally dipping my reel in the water while getting ice off the guides, my reel froze solid. Headed home shortly after that. The winds we're getting now makes it very hard to get a good drift anyway. Water is low and clear on the lower river for those wondering.

SilverChaser

Truck temp. gauge read -7C this afternoon in the upper. Got rewarded with a few wild fish. Water is very clear.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Still windy on the Vedder today but I think I will brave the elements this afternoon. ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

An enjoyable 3 hour outing this afternoon. I had the river to myself and was able to even cross the river to fish some great runs. However the fish, if there would not co operate. Was like the old days having so much river to fish without the usual crowds.

The wind was not to bad but cold on the hands, especially when the sun went down.

TheChumWhisperer

Pics or it didn't happen..

Truck temp. gauge read -7C this afternoon in the upper. Got rewarded with a few wild fish. Water is very clear.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

current water temp is about 1.25 C (34F). Fish must be approaching a state of catatonia. Temperature of the Fraser at Hope is just a tad above freezing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Seems a bit warmer or maybe we are getting used to it.
Saying that I will venture out for a couple of hours this afternoon, feel confident as i should be due after a fish on my first trip last week and nothing the next 4.