Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser - catch and release.  (Read 22059 times)

hrenya

Re: Tidal Fraser - catch and release.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 08:36:58 PM »

rod can you explain it please ? so far your arguments are the best .

doja

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »

Seems pretty straight forward? Don't target sockeye!!! While in the salt I'm not sure what can be done differently but in the river as long as you are not BB and specifically targeting pinks/coho/sockeye you are good to go...

Who says they are protecting coho?

Seems they are giving a opportunity (when many things are closed) to fish for Chinook.  Doesn't appear they are worried about the pink and coho salmon but very concerned about the sockeye. Open to catch and release of coho and more so pink salmon and the numbers may very well increase on the river I'm guessing.  I'm sure the coho mortality rates are going to be quite low hence the opening.

On a side not the north arm appears blue on one of the DFO map...  Zoom in and it's not but why the use green =salt,  blue=fresh,  and...  Blue out line,  lol. Almost fooled me as I know better but you'd think they'd use a different colour as barrow spots appear to be fresh water,  lol. Got to love DFO's ways of doing things,  lol.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:27:18 PM by doja »

hrenya

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 09:25:18 PM »

Seems pretty straight forward? Don't target sockeye!!! While in the salt I'm not sure what can be done differently but in the river as long as you are not BB and specifically targeting pinks/coho/sockeye you are good to go...

Who says they are protecting coho?

Seems they are giving a opportunity (when many things are closed) to fish for Chinook.  Doesn't appear they are worried about the pink and coho salmon but very concerned about the sockeye. Open to catch and release of coho and more so pink salmon and the numbers may very well increase on the river I'm guessing.  I'm sure the coho mortality rates are going to be quite low hence the opening.
lets be realistic , how can you catch sockeye in lower fraser ?! :)
how do u fish for Chinook ? spoons ? (most likely) or roe under bar rig ? we still talking about tidal fraser .
as mentioned above your chances are a bit over 0 to catch any but coho/pink in tidal .
regulation stated very clear - NO FISHING FOR SALMON (chum,pink,coho,sockeye) .
So if it is pretty straight forward like you said , where is the common sense ?!

doja

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

Read the fresh water supplement...  Lots of water where you can fish one species and not another....no gear restrictions though...  Why is this different? Lol

It's very,  very,  very clear they opened the river to Chinook,  lol....   Maybe some got lazy on the gear section but it is very,  very,  very clearly open for Chinook....  Someone wrote a letter for a reason or really screwed up... 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:35:45 PM by doja »

hrenya

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »

Read the fresh water supplement...  Lots of water where you can fish one species and not another....no gear restrictions though...  Why is this different? Lol
I will repeat again , in this case im talking only about TIDAL Fraser . I don't care about fresh water . You said its pretty straight forward , and now trying to tell me to read about fresh water ... how this works ?! even topic says "TIDAL Fraser" , so maybe we should stick with the topic and discuss about tidal ?!

p.s. still waiting

doja

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »

Lol you on drugs?.... 

Everyone knows where you are fishing and you clearly haven't read my last few posts.... I see your problem now...

It's an example that there are many places where one species is open and others not with no gear restrictions coming from the same source... DFO!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:41:08 PM by doja »

hrenya

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »

hrenya

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »

if you read more careful that was DFO too . So what chances if I hack some roe on 2 hooks or start hacking some spoons and get all but the ones are open for ?! this is my point .

doja

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »

Did they ticket you? If so bad policing and you could easily beat it in court although I'd phone the boss and explain your situation as it's not right! Backing down is never good as it does make you look guilty,  but be very respectful and always know the law and rules to show them to prove your case.

Take a notice with you and show him and argue it,  respectfully as it's on them to be clear in the rules....  The notice is pretty clear and it doesn't say closed for salmon in the permanent regs so legal sense your good to go as Chinook is your target species...

Posting your other topic would have been helpful in more precise answers!

Personally...  I'd avoid lures at the moment and I'd phone and report the officer who questioned you and write a letter to document your situation and issue for future potential problems before its sorted out....  Ya,  they answer to someone too!!! Fight the law with law tools!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:56:29 PM by doja »

hrenya

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 10:02:55 PM »

im really glad that we are discussing with respect to each other , but you still didn't answer my question :)
How does it make sense to open fraser for Chinook , if majority (if not full100%) will be by catch of the ones that are not allowed ?
The reason why I asking is because I DO CARE , and I know if I will go and try to catch Chinook in LF , chances are smaller than winning a lottery , but I do know for sure about by catch . So how does that make sense ?!  Its pretty simple question , so I hope you will be able to answer it .

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »

Correct! Pinks and chum say NO FISHING FOR SALMON in the notes (gear section) section.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html
Chinook open to catch and release or retention.

The table shows the last notice that applied to each species, which for all other species was the the "no fishing for salmon" notice that also closed the river for Chinook.  When they issued the Notice opening Chinook, they essentially opened the river to salmon fishing, however, the last notice that applied to the other species still shows in the table (no fishing for salmon).  It just makes it confusing.  Clearly the river is not closed (no fishing for salmon), so that notice should no longer show on any of the species.  They should just all show 0 retention except Chinook.
Not all those who wander are lost

hrenya

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »

The table shows the last notice that applied to each species, which for all other species was the the "no fishing for salmon" notice that also closed the river for Chinook.  When they issued the Notice opening Chinook, they essentially opened the river to salmon fishing, however, the last notice that applied to the other species still shows in the table (no fishing for salmon).  It just makes it confusing.  Clearly the river is not closed (no fishing for salmon), so that notice should no longer show on any of the species.  They should just all show 0 retention except Chinook.
ty a lot , it wasn't that hard :) but I still wanna hear comment from Doja .

doja

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »

Morals,  don't fish then,  lol.... I see why the DFO had a problem with you,  lol...

hrenya

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 10:31:01 PM »

Morals,  don't fish then,  lol.... I see why the DFO had a problem with you,  lol...
oh c`mon , that's not an answer ....

hrenya

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »

btw im not fishing :) waiting for pinks opening in lf