Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser - catch and release.  (Read 22066 times)

doja

Re: Tidal Fraser - catch and release.
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2015, 11:09:39 PM »

Also,  here is a good link for freshwater notices,  just click the top one for current in season changes as people just check the book and nothing more as it's more DFO that issues lots of changes... I'm aware this info is on his site but people seem to mainly read the forum and that's it....

Also,  would be handy to have a sticky with links for regulations/changes and possibly a guide to navigate them...  Any thoughts rod?

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/#Synopsis
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:13:45 PM by doja »

Drewhill

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2015, 11:42:51 PM »

This link that was posted earlier breaks it down pretty easily:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html

It clearly says no fishing (which means targeting at all and catch and release) for pink, chum, coho and sockeye. COs aren't stupid and most have a lot of fishing experience so they'll know if you're not targeting chinook.

Doja is right, this really isn't that confusing but it sounds like people are getting itchy trigger fingers and are trying to find any excuse to get on the river to fish.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 12:14:50 AM »

If someone was using pink spoons in a location where people clearly target pinks then there would be a ticket. Unfortunately  I highly doubt a judge would go against a co.
Ill try to be the first when heading to new west minster on Wednesday. I have the perfect answer for the dfo

nevertoolate

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 07:53:55 AM »

I dont understand how I could go fishing in the Fraser for just Chinook.   I was thinking I could attach a sign to my lure saying - "For Chinooks only.  Pinks and Sockey please do not bite as you may face a fine from DFO" 

doja

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »

I dont understand how I could go fishing in the Fraser for just Chinook.   I was thinking I could attach a sign to my lure saying - "For Chinooks only.  Pinks and Sockey please do not bite as you may face a fine from DFO"

Care to explain how a fish can get a ticket... Lol.... Lol
It clearly says avoid sockeye... But I'd love to see the look DFO face if you brought your gear in with said sign,  lol guaranteed no ticket,  lol
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:22:01 AM by doja »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »

Like I said in my earlier post, I was going to get clarifications and have any mistakes fixed if needed....

When fishery notice 953 and 954 came out, it takes precedence over 858 and 859. This means the "no fishing for salmon" under the other species should not have been there. I've requested to have them fixed and you should see that happen by the end of today.

So to summarize briefly. If you're targeting chinook salmon with a spoon and happen to catch a pink salmon, release with care. DFO is not going to fine you for catching a pink salmon while fishing for chinook salmon.

Keep in mind though, regulations aside, the goal here is to protect vulnerable stocks and everyone should be doing their best to avoid catching sockeye salmon. And also pink salmon are not open for retention so these fish should be released with care.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »

Like I said in my earlier post, I was going to get clarifications and have any mistakes fixed if needed....

When fishery notice 953 and 954 came out, it takes precedence over 858 and 859. This means the "no fishing for salmon" under the other species should not have been there. I've requested to have them fixed and you should see that happen by the end of today.

Thanks Rod, for confirming my earlier post.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:11:29 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

hrenya

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »

ty Rodney , at least someone does something to help out noobs and making it more clear , not like others - don't fish if you don't know how read regulations :) and other stuff like that .

doja

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »

ty Rodney , at least someone does something to help out noobs and making it more clear , not like others - don't fish if you don't know how read regulations :) and other stuff like that .

You were not really looking for advice or help.... You wanted to debate an issue and were all over the place... Lol

You had a concern about the regs...  And instead of calling DFO you waited for someone else to do the job you chose not to do.... Lol. 

I was happy with the reduced pressure at the moment and would have loved to see it stay the same... Lol  ;) (I'm not fishing but think the fish need all the help they can get and I avoid C&R salmon mostly as I prefer to retain and go home thus reducing my damage,  personal preference)   in the past I have voiced concerns with DFO before on issues I thought were needing addressing.

You asked a question,  it WAS answered....  Lol
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:31:34 AM by doja »

Zackattack

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »

You were not really looking for advice or help.... You wanted to debate an issue and were all over the place... Lol

You had a concern about the regs...  And instead of calling DFO you waited for someone else to do the job you chose not to do.... Lol. 

I was happy with the reduced pressure at the moment and would have loved to see it stay the same... Lol  ;) (I'm not fishing but think the fish need all the help they can get and I avoid C&R salmon mostly as I prefer to retain and go home thus reducing my damage,  personal preference)   in the past I have voiced concerns with DFO before on issues I thought were needing addressing.

You asked a question,  it WAS answered....  Lol

There needs to be a 'like' button on these boards..

fisherforever

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »

There needs to be a 'like' button on these boards..
X2

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 04:39:23 AM »

Bar fishing is the way to go at this time, and is producing well. In the old days that is all we fished for in the Fraser at this time of year and then coho, maybe we should return to those days?

Tangles

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 07:42:29 AM »

Bar fishing is the way to go at this time, and is producing well. In the old days that is all we fished for in the Fraser at this time of year and then coho, maybe we should return to those days?
Unfortunately today's chinook/coho numbers are much lower than those days of old, hence TOW. Add to that the ever increasing poaching,pollution,etc and it certainly looks the trend is not reversing anytime soon :(

azafai

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

X2