Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser - catch and release.  (Read 21867 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Tidal Fraser - catch and release.
« on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »

Now they have opened the Tidal Fraser for Chinook retention does that mean fishing there purely for catch and release purposes is feasible now?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser - catch and release.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »

Yes and no.
You cannot target species that are not open to retention.
IF you accidentally catch a fish not open to retention it must be released.
You cannot target Pinks or Sockeye for C and R purposes and though accidents may happen, fishing with methods that would normally be used to target species that are closed (at the moment) may cause you undo grief.

Why do so many seem to search for a loophole.
Be patient.
I don't think anyone has it in for the Sportfisherman, though it may seem like that at times.

This has been a strange year for weather and the eventual future returns will be determined by how well it is managed and maintained.

We should be more interested in the resources survival than concerned with our own personal gratifications.
No fish are wasted in nature,  alive to spawn or dead to nourish the environment.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »

Yes and no.
IF you accidentally catch a fish not open to retention it must be released.
You cannot target Pinks or Sockeye for C and R purposes and though accidents may happen, fishing with methods that would normally be used to target species that are closed (at the moment) may cause you undo grief.

Why do so many seem to search for a loophole.
Be patient.
I don't think anyone has it in for the Sportfisherman, though it may seem like that at times.

This has been a strange year for weather and the eventual future returns will be determined by how well it is managed and maintained.

We should be more interested in the resources survival than concerned with our own personal gratifications.
No fish are wasted in nature,  alive to spawn or dead to nourish the environment.
Umm..I am not searching for a loophole but thanks.  Regulations can be confusing sometimes.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »

I dont think that's true at all and it's doesnt imply that anywhere in the regs I am aware of.

People target trout, dollies, bulls, cutties, salmon all the time in systems with no retention and we seem ok with that  (ie Skagit, Squamish, Upper Pitt).

When there is conservation concern like there currently is for sockeye, the DFO is asking to limit impact on that species, which is fair enough. Targetting an otherwise closed species seems legal unless specified in the regs (ie no fishing for salmon, no fishing for sturgeon etc). Whether we should be doing so is another debate.

doja

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »

I dont think that's true at all and it's doesnt imply that anywhere in the regs I am aware of.

People target trout, dollies, bulls, cutties, salmon all the time in systems with no retention and we seem ok with that  (ie Skagit, Squamish, Upper Pitt).

When there is conservation concern like there currently is for sockeye, the DFO is asking to limit impact on that species, which is fair enough. Targetting an otherwise closed species seems legal unless specified in the regs (ie no fishing for salmon, no fishing for sturgeon etc). Whether we should be doing so is another debate.

I agree,  from what I know unless it's closed you're OK to fish...  Example,  fresh supplement has some "no fishing"  for certain species while river is open. I'm aware he's asking salt.

Assuming most at risk runs have passed I'd think the moral side is you're good to go even if no retention is allowed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:52:30 PM by doja »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »

I didn't explain myself properly.
I'll reread the Regs and  and clarify my post later.
Sorry for any confusion.

Drewhill

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »

"Recreational fishing opportunities on the Fraser River for pink and chum salmon
are anticipated later in the season subject to available abundance. "

Sounds like it's still closed for pinks even for catch and release. If you catch one while targeting Chinook you have to release it.

As for targeting other species the notice that was put out was for salmon only.

doja

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:21:16 PM »

"Recreational fishing opportunities on the Fraser River for pink and chum salmon
are anticipated later in the season subject to available abundance. "

Sounds like it's still closed for pinks even for catch and release. If you catch one while targeting Chinook you have to release it.

As for targeting other species the notice that was put out was for salmon only.

Correct! Pinks and chum say NO FISHING FOR SALMON in the notes (gear section) section.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html
Chinook open to catch and release or retention.

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »

OK, so DFO was very clear that they don't want to see BBing for springs to avoid the by-catch impact on sockeye and we all agree on that, but in the list of recommended techniques it says spoon fishing is OK. Now can anyone clarify how do you spoon fish for Chinook selectively so that you avoid pinks?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 06:26:14 PM »

OK, so DFO was very clear that they don't want to see BBing for springs to avoid the by-catch impact on sockeye and we all agree on that, but in the list of recommended techniques it says spoon fishing is OK. Now can anyone clarify how do you spoon fish for Chinook selectively so that you avoid pinks?
Really big spoons?

Tangles

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »

Really big spoons?
And why do you think pinks wouldn't take a large spoon? I think they'll take anything that has smaller hook than their mouth LOL. Also how big of a spoon is tolerated? Where do I find what' are allowed  colors and sizes?

doja

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure DFO could care less about pinks,  understandably .....  Open it and you have a ton of pressure thus possibly hooking socks and maybe coho... If they were worried they'd just close it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:47:03 PM by doja »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »

I was joking. Chances of catching a spring on spoons in the lower Fraser is pretty near zero. 
Retention is closed for Pinks, socks, and Coho but there is nothing in the regs to stop you from C&Ring 100 Pinks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »

Hi all, I'll have this clarified tomorrow. The information given by the resource manager, read in the fishery notice, and the permanent regulation page are all inconsistent and somewhat contradicting each other at this point.

BTW, while rare, it's not impossible to catch chinook salmon on a (small) spoon in the Tidal Fraser River. Over the years I have seen a few caught in late August and September.

hrenya

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »

me confused again ... I just figured out situation with spoons in "salmon lures" topic , and now im completely lost .
if fraser open for springs , so I can cast any spoons , use bar rig with 2 hook with roe on it ?!
chances of getting spring in LF close to 0 , but bar rig+roe = many many coho . So whats the point opening one salmon specie , while you have way more chances to hook the one they protect ????
I just don't get it ....