Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 26416 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

2015's Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley catchable rainbow trout stocking started on March 11th. The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, is responsible for stockings of these fish between March and June, September and November, so fishing is expected to be excellent during these months. These angling opportunities are fantastic for families, youth and entry-level anglers due to high catch success rate.

As usual, we will once again be providing regular stocking reports to keep you updated so you can plan your next weekend fishing trip better. Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake stocking reports will be available in this thread as well as on this page.

WHERE TO FISH?

Here are some of the lakes in Region Two that are stocked with rainbow trout.

ADDITIONAL READINGS

It's Trout Season in Vancouver!
Rainbow trout fishing in the Lower Mainland can be excellent between March and June.

Bait Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
The most basic method used when fishing for stocked rainbow trout is bait fishing.

Lure Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
Lure fishing is another effective fishing method in urban lakes. It is preferred by anglers who want to be active.

Good Fishing at Lower Mainland Lakes
A trip to Alice and Edith Lakes shows how good the trout fishing can be around the Lower Mainland.

A Convenient Alternative
Put and take lakes are a good alternative when fishing is slow else where.

“Fishing in the City” Launched
Fishing in the City is a new urban fishing program launched by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

VIDEOS

Float Fishing for Urban Trout

Float, Egg, Trout!

Spring Trout Stockings

REGULATIONS

Before heading out, please be aware of the followings:

• You must have a valid BC freshwater angling license.
  • You are permitted to keep four trout in Region 2 lakes, unless stated otherwise in lake-specific regulations. Lafarge, Como, Green Timbers, Deer, Rice, Mill Lake now have a two fish per day limit!
  • If fishing from shore, only ONE fishing rod/line is permitted for each angler.
  • If fishing alone in a boat, an angler is allowed to use TWO fishing rods/lines.
  • Only ONE hook is allowed on each fishing line.
  • There are exceptions/specific regulations for some lakes (such as catch and release only, requirement of barbless hook, boating restrictions), please see the table in Region Two's regulations where each lake is listed for exceptions.
  • If you witness a violation, please phone 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) and report it.

CONTACT

For stocking plans, please contact the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery at (604) 504-4716.

ajransom

Re: 2015 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »

Rod, do you know if the above lakes were stocked over the last couple of days? Just checked GoFishBC, and its not updated yet...

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »

Lafarge, Como, Green Timbers, Rice and Hastings were stocked a couple of days ago.

Animal Chin

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »

Was at Rice this afternoon to kill a couple hours. No sign of life. Had bubble float/fly, 1/8 rooster tail, float with powerbait worm deep and shallow, bottom fishing with shrimp fishers on dock.

Also saw about 20 dead trout just off the railing on the west side of the dock. They were all of good size. Glad to see they're stocking with good sized fish. Must be shock.

Lots of little grommets out having a good time though.

BananasQ

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:35:48 PM »

Same in Lafarge. 3 kids with rods in the water and not a solitary bite over three hours. Spoke to a number of people there and nobody was getting any hook ups. Kids still had a blast tho.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »

I have never caught fish right after it was stocked.  I am almost sure it takes a bit for the fish to adjust to the new surroundings.
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 11:00:36 PM »

Fish will bite anytime once they are released into the lake, 15 minutes after or a week later, just gotta figure out what tick them off...

Burbot

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 12:18:19 AM »

I seem to remember years ago (in the 90's) they used to stock places like the Coquitlam river, Brunette river etc with Catch-able trout. Does anyone know why that stopped?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »

Tried Rice Lake tonight.  Both of us on fly, fishing with the usual infallables, green/olive/black buggers and leeches.  I usually pick up a few fish with these even when others are not getting anything.  Fished for 1.5 hours, no bites and surprising did not see one fish rise.  Usually for a 2-3 weeks after stocking you see a lot of surface activity.

Animal Chin

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »

Was at Rice today most of afternoon. Nice day to picnic. Bites came on an hour before dark, coincided with surface activity. Before that nothing. Judging from where I was fishing and my last few outings this year, I'm almost positive these aren't the recently stocked fish.

From previous years, if I showed up the day of the stocking, it was pretty much a fish every cast as long on the lure was moving.

After that it was feast or famine. And usually a week or so after stocking, more often than not stationary offering under a float worked best for me.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:07 AM »

I remember when I was younger, Rice would have loads of fish that winter over and get very healthy. I would fish it before the first stocking and we would catch a lot of the bigger fish, darker colour to them and nice pink flesh. Almost as if the stocked fish that end up not getting caught and winter over change somehow.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »

Any ideas for mil lake? Thinkin this week probably judging by camparing last years stocking vs this years

Trolling around a small leech, wooly bugger has been successful for me there. Been years since I fished this lake though and I know many that do great on chironies.

I really should try this lake for the bass in summer
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:30 PM »

Anyone know if mill got stocked yet?

Not yet Aaron, soon, but you should be able to catch plenty in there already.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

Any idea if Alice is going to be stocked this year... So many memories and now I understand it has water quality issues
see ya on the river