Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So many Questions  (Read 15987 times)

A Frayed Knot

Re: So many Questions
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »

This was a rant at the get go but when you came to the Palestinians and Israeli part it became irrational and downright mean spirited. I've done my fair share of answering questions & providing info both here, other websites and on the water. Most of what I know I learned as I described. I have fished for over 50 years and almost all of that locally I can think of very few times anyone offered me advice or help in the years I started out. When I was a younger I went fishing with my father, that was how I got the habit. On some of the rivers we fished in the fall, we quickly stopped telling people the truth when they asked how the fishing was or if we had caught anything, as invariably they'd plant themselves right beside us if we did. Even 50 years ago we had to be on the river before the crack of dawn to get a spot we favoured. There is difference between wanting a little help and information and greed and sloth. Folks looking to learn have to be charitable as well. They have stop thinking they are charity cases deserving of someone else's singular attention.

Nothing mean spirited about it, its by fact that there is a huge clear division. Greed is the root. However there is also something else. It's Pride. Arguing for the sake of arguing isn't my cup of coffee either. 
I've fished all my life, nothing going comes from any of this. This is the weekend of Thanksgiving, you should be thankful. I am, aside from the obvious, I also thank for places like this where I can get help when I need and help from good people. I haven't argued against that at all.
I am always happy to share my knowledge.
We can't really have a FAQ because a lot of information changes but having an archive of locked forums would go a long ways. It's just finding time to sort them in to appropriate categories for easy indexing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:16:58 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »

sorry but comparing this to Israel and the Palestinians was mean. I also find your appeal to thanksgiving and that I should be thankful, arrogant. That's just the way I feel about it.

I was just trying to comment on Rod's statement that experienced anglers have little empathy for beginners. Perhaps beginners should have some for the experienced. There is an angling culture that's been in place for a long time here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:48:14 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »

Take what you want from it.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Tenz85

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »

This thread is still going??!

Okay.. well.. money, politics and religion three things not to discuss at the dinner table or an anonymous online forum.

That being said, I don't believe any lines have been crossed and that's all from me on this one.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »

I thought I'd bring this back on topic with a very very good documentary worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGvvz7HbAw

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:33 PM »

I find it rude and smug when the question is asked "Should I go fishing at X" and the replies are "Fishing is not about catching" or "Go try for yourself and report back" or something similar. However, I will admit, that it does get overwhelming trying to be helpful when there is a new angler every couple weeks rackings up the posts asking well-intentioned, curious, questions.

I totally get it. If I was a new angler and I found this treasure trove of anglers, I would be all over it too. Many new anglers haven't developed the fishing network that others have, and new anglers haven't learned what questions they "shouldn't" ask. They are just eager, usually younger, sponges. However,as someone else mentioned, I would much rather spend my time mentoring a person on the water, one on one, (which I do frequently) than over a keyboard in the evenings.

And speaking of the war of words that develop sometimes. I am reminded of the great cartoon that Rodney posted a couple of years ago. It depicted at negligee clad woman standing behind her man, who is hunched over a keyboard. "Just a minute", he says, "somebody is wrong on the Internet". Everytime I want to wade into a conversation and offer my 2 cents to people I haven't met, and as a result inflate my ego as to how right I am, I remember that cartoon, log off, and say "hi" to my wife :)

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »

And speaking of the war of words that develop sometimes. I am reminded of the great cartoon that Rodney posted a couple of years ago. It depicted at negligee clad woman standing behind her man, who is hunched over a keyboard. "Just a minute", he says, "somebody is wrong on the Internet". Everytime I want to wade into a conversation and offer my 2 cents to people I haven't met, and as a result inflate my ego as to how right I am, I remember that cartoon, log off, and say "hi" to my wife :)

XKCD :) favorite of mine. https://www.mattcutts.com/images/duty_calls.png

G-Ratt

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »

A generalization is of the form all A is B and which is not how I put what I said. Rather I allowed it may be a small minority but I don't know you or whoever and I would be reluctant to help someone on such a basis which is consistent with human nature in general (that's a generalization). It has been ever thus as I tried to point out in a previous post. The reluctance to help novices one is not familiar with has always been more or less the case. I'd also say that expecting anything for the asking and getting angry when that doesn't happen is symptomatic of a lack of maturity which is a problem for one or 2 people here. That is not a generalization.

I'd also say consider that nobody knows everything. I am still learning and almost everyday out on the water presents me with something new.

People who consistently use the preface "it may only be a few" or "I'm not saying everyone, but" are often just trying to cover their tracks so that people don't say you're generalizing. It doesn't change the fact that you ARE generalizing. You didn't base it on any past real-life experience, as others in this thread have. You said inexperienced anglers kill everything they catch, etc. And I was just trying to point out that I have SEEN (see, real experience to base a claim) a lot of older, more experienced anglers fishing unethically this season.

My other point was just that maybe if we tried to be a little friendlier on the river and spread knowledge, it could, even if ever so slightly, reduce the pressure on the boards. It might be a pie-in-the-sky idea, but it's something. This was also backed up with real life experience, as I said that we have often tried to converse with other more experienced anglers, and the majority of them have been gruff, or rude to us. And yes, usually it is human nature to be wary of strangers, but it's not unusual that common hobbies have a way of bringing strangers together.