Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So many Questions  (Read 16066 times)

DRP79

Re: So many Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »

I believe that the only silly question is the one you do not ask. Everyone starts somewhere and it's that curiosity that leads to someone picking up the things that will make them a successful, ethical angler.

That being said, it is definitely annoying when someone is just looking for someone else to do the work for them. There is rarely a question that  Google will not have an answer for and while you may be new to fishing, I highly doubt that most newbies are new to Internet forums. The search function is your friend.

sbc hris

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »

1.  I have no idea why people get so heated about this. On this forum and others. It's an open discussion forum, people post what they like, don't get your panties in a knot about it. If you don't like, or disagree with what the newbs are posting, either don't read it, or don't respond to it. If no one replys to their posts, they will get the hint quickly. Why let it ruin your day? There's a lot more horrible things going on in the world to worry about.

2.  A lot of the more advanced and skilled anglers on here, and other forums ;who do all the moaning about the newbs and their questions, learned to fish with other, more advanced anglers at their side, or had friends that were "in the loop". Many of these newer anglers have neither of these advantages on their side, and learning how to fish in both of these situations is vastly different. If you are aquainted with someone who is in the loop, or friends with a good rod, who's willing to put some time in with you, it only takes a season or 2 to become a very successful angler. Without either of those advantages, it takes many years of cutting your teeth on your own to figure it out.

3.  A lot of people who post these "annoying" questions, are just excited to chat about a future outing, or fishing in general. They know that google will likely provide their answers, but are excited to possibly chat with fellow fisherman on a "discussion forum". Not everyone has fishing buddys to call up and chat about conditions, locations, and techniques with.

4.  Rod works very hard and does a great job to provide us with an essentially free place to hang out. His job is not easy, and all you whiners remind of the people sitting on their a $$, and yelling at their TV screens during a hockey game, like you would know what to do better than the pros who are actually playing. You are more annoying than the newbs who are asking many, essentially harmless questions, if you don't like it, or feel like you are too good for this place, you know where the door is.

Rant over...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:09:29 PM by sbc hris »

Drewhill

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »

You are more annoying than the newbs who are asking many, essentially harmless questions, if you don't like it, or feel like you are too good for this place, you know where the door is.

Rant over...

Here's the problem, there are harmful questions. (x) recently put up a report on a small system that already is pressured. That post has 384 views and even if a handful of the people lurking end up going there, it could ruin the stocks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:14:51 PM by Drewhill »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »

Here's the problem, there are harmful questions. (X) recently put up a report on a small system

Agreed.

There is a lack of censorship when people post asking stream specifics...

As some of you know,  i am fairly tight lipped about areas I fish online.   An example woud be in photos I never say where (unless its Edith lake)

Sometimes the background gets an edit or there isnt one beyond rocks in water...

Silver

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

You understand but you don't? Some of your opinions are very contradicting.

Following the rules/regs is an expectation and should be something one should expect appraise for doing.

Patience is a two way street.

Pardon the cliche and hopefully my words haven't been too harsh.

To clarify, my words are an attempt to descried the ridiculous contradiction that is evident with responses on this forum. Basically, dont help the new guy whose motives are in good faith...because he needs to figure everything out for himself. or he/she is too lazy to do the work themselves. It is actually alot more work to banter back and forth on this forum then to go to the tackle store and ask. I would be led to believe that this site's intent is to help people interested in fishing properly...not deter them.

And to harshly criticize anyone who dares to ask a question that may go against the perceived ethical norm (accidentally or otherwise) of the 'enlightened' How about actually sharing knowledge to help improve a novices skillset, so that they can also potentially evolve into the expectation of the few. Perhaps, with some finite guidance, a novice with basic skills will desire to transition from flossing, to drifting, flyfishing, etc.

True, this information can be had from many other alternative sources. But why cant a vast active community of members be the first choice, and not the last?   

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:43:44 PM by Silver »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »

To clarify, my words are an attempt to descried the ridiculous contradiction that is evident with responces on this forum. Basically, dont help the new guy whose motives are in good faith...because he needs to figure everything out for himself. or he/she is too lazy to do the work themselves. It is actually alot more work to banter back and forth on this forum then to go to the tackle store and ask. I would be led to believe that this site's intent is to help people interested in fishing properly...not deter them.

And harshly criticize anyone who dares to ask a question that may go against the perceived ethical norm (accidentally or otherwise) of the 'enlightened' How about actually sharing knowledge to help improve a novices skilset, so that they can also potentially evolve into the expectation of the few. Perhaps, with some finite guidance, a novice with basic skills will desire to transition from flossing, to drifting, flyfishing, etc.

True, this information can be had from many other alternative sources. But why cant a vast active community of members be the first choice, and not the last?

Good points silver. I would just like to point out that participants in this discussion forum do not represent the website, so their opinions do not necessarily paint an accurate picture on what this website is all about.

Drewhill

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »

To clarify, my words are an attempt to descried the ridiculous contradiction that is evident with responces on this forum. Basically, dont help the new guy whose motives are in good faith...because he needs to figure everything out for himself. or he/she is too lazy to do the work themselves. It is actually alot more work to banter back and forth on this forum then to go to the tackle store and ask. I would be led to believe that this site's intent is to help people interested in fishing properly...not deter them.

And harshly criticize anyone who dares to ask a question that may go against the perceived ethical norm (accidentally or otherwise) of the 'enlightened' How about actually sharing knowledge to help improve a novices skilset, so that they can also potentially evolve into the expectation of the few. Perhaps, with some finite guidance, a novice with basic skills will desire to transition from flossing, to drifting, flyfishing, etc.

But doesn't it seem like the only posts that really get ripped are when people say something like "Are the chum in yet?" or "I'm taking ... fishing and I want to get them into fish. Where is a quiet spot that I can do this?" Really there aren't too many other posts where people get pissed other than spots. Every other posts gets fairly good and knowledgeable answers.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »

Good points silver. I would just like to point out that participants in this discussion forum do not represent the website, so their opinions do not necessarily paint an accurate picture on what this website is all about.

This is true, while I am newer. There is definitely a "louder" group of posters. Rather more consistent and frequent posters, and while you may say that they do not reflect the forum as a whole, its still a guilty by association. Whether we like it or not.
If the persons can look past it all, its a great website, its why I am here and say not somewhere else because there are many great fishing sites out there.
But at least for my my personal preference is to be here, when I ask questions like about the spey rod or the lines. I came here first, and while writing the questions I am also googling for answers most cases blogs or whatever can be pretty nonsensical, or overly scientific when sometimes, the simplest answer will do.
My experience here so far is people tend to oddly very straight forward and easier to understand. Incredibly helpful over all.

As for fishing holes. People seem to think its all a big secret. I got news, its not. And once the bigger spots get over fished, much like it is now.
People going to start pushing in land, or north.
We don't to The Dean or The Yakoun because we enjoy spending $80-110 on gas one way. I guess what I am trying to say I would rather share a few of my hot spots, if it means less pressure on the fish and river itself. Spread it around :P
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:49:42 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

DRP79

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

1.  I have no idea why people get so heated about this. On this forum and others. It's an open discussion forum, people post what they like, don't get your panties in a knot about it. If you don't like, or disagree with what the newbs are posting, either don't read it, or don't respond to it. If no one replys to their posts, they will get the hint quickly. Why let it ruin your day? There's a lot more horrible things going on in the world to worry about.

2.  A lot of the more advanced and skilled anglers on here, and other forums ;who do all the moaning about the newbs and their questions, learned to fish with other, more advanced anglers at their side, or had friends that were "in the loop". Many of these newer anglers have neither of these advantages on their side, and learning how to fish in both of these situations is vastly different. If you are aquainted with someone who is in the loop, or friends with a good rod, who's willing to put some time in with you, it only takes a season or 2 to become a very successful angler. Without either of those advantages, it takes many years of cutting your teeth on your own to figure it out.

3.  A lot of people who post these "annoying" questions, are just excited to chat about a future outing, or fishing in general. They know that google will likely provide their answers, but are excited to possibly chat with fellow fisherman on a "discussion forum". Not everyone has fishing buddys to call up and chat about conditions, locations, and techniques with.

4.  Rod works very hard and does a great job to provide us with an essentially free place to hang out. His job is not easy, and all you whiners remind of the people sitting on their a $$, and yelling at their TV screens during a hockey game, like you would know what to do better than the pros who are actually playing. You are more annoying than the newbs who are asking many, essentially harmless questions, if you don't like it, or feel like you are too good for this place, you know where the door is.

Rant over...

I'm not sure how my post got your panties in a knot, I certainly wasn't bashing newbies. Just the ones that are clearly looking for a quick fix with little to no effort.

You basically described me in your rant. I have felt my way around a dark room looking for a light switch for 3 years now. I've been out a few times with experienced rods and have gained some valuable experience from it. I fish alone as my family and friends are not into fishing and still come home empty handed most trips but all week long, I'm itching to get back out there.

I know it's going to take time and I am and have been putting in the work in hopes of being one of the "top rods" one day.

I have and will continue to ask questions but it's once I hit a dead end looking for the answers myself.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »

I think (to go with my above) part of it is how they are asking.

Rather then going "is (insert river name) a good place to fish" or "where are good spots on the (insert river name)" they could ask "what structure makes good fish habitat" or "where do coho hold in a river." 

Not only will they avoid annoying guys, but they learn why a river might fish well, so they can look for this structure elsewhere in their fishing travels.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »

I think (to go with my above) part of it is how they are asking.

Rather then going "is (insert river name) a good place to fish" or "where are good spots on the (insert river name)" they could ask "what structure makes good fish habitat" or "where do coho hold in a river." 

Not only will they avoid annoying guys, but they learn why a river might fish well, so they can look for this structure elsewhere in their fishing travels.

I don't disagree with that at all. Lol maybe we should do a FlyBC thing, they do a free spey casting class. Instead what we could do is a "how to read a river" youtube just isn't the same as doing it in person. Take 2 or 3 people who truly feel like its a struggle, and just show one of our favorite spots and teach them how to work it properly and read the river. Or something like that. I don't know if I would the best person myself, I tend to just get a gut feeling when it comes to finding holes to drop a line in.

So long as we can the word out for people to stop crowding up lickman road, like some kinda tumor. Ugh, before they changed the river with all the dredging that spot was just the worse, scumbags ever.
Although I met one really nice person there way back when before I wrote off that whole river.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:17:02 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

sbc hris

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »

I'm not sure how my post got your panties in a knot, I certainly wasn't bashing newbies. Just the ones that are clearly looking for a quick fix with little to no effort.

You basically described me in your rant. I have felt my way around a dark room looking for a light switch for 3 years now. I've been out a few times with experienced rods and have gained some valuable experience from it. I fish alone as my family and friends are not into fishing and still come home empty handed most trips but all week long, I'm itching to get back out there.

I know it's going to take time and I am and have been putting in the work in hopes of being one of the "top rods" one day.

I have and will continue to ask questions but it's once I hit a dead end looking for the answers myself.

This definitely wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular. There's just so much senseless moaning going on about stuff that doesn't require moaning about. Sure there are some legitimately stupid questions asked, but rather than shoot the person down, or complain about them, just ignore their questions completely. The only option they will have left is to use the search function, or turn to google. The same goes for people who post about sensitive waters. Just leave it alone and it will go away. The more flack you give them for posting it, and the more you try to steer people away, the more attention it will generate.

Lots of people seem to blame the internet, and forums for the increased pressure on our local systems. Guess what. We live in the lower mainland. Check the population growth stats. The populations growing every year, and as such, people are getting pushed into different and more "sensitive" waters. I'm definitely not condoning posting about smaller and more sensitive waters, but it's not worth screaming about when it happens. The info on these is not hard to find for those who are determined.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »

This definitely wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular. There's just so much senseless moaning going on about stuff that doesn't require moaning about. Sure there are some legitimately stupid questions asked, but rather than shoot the person down, or complain about them, just ignore their questions completely. The only option they will have left is to use the search function, or turn to google. The same goes for people who post about sensitive waters. Just leave it alone and it will go away. The more flack you give them for posting it, and the more you try to steer people away, the more attention it will generate.

Lots of people seem to blame the internet, and forums for the increased pressure on our local systems. Guess what. We live in the lower mainland. Check the population growth stats. The populations growing every year, and as such, people are getting pushed into different and more "sensitive" waters. I'm definitely not condoning posting about smaller and more sensitive waters, but it's not worth screaming about when it happens. The info on these is not hard to find for those who are determined.

I agree, the internet helps but so does word of mouth, do you think the guys at Fred's is gonna keep every single stream and creek a secret if it means they make some money selling gear to go with those spots? Highly doubtful. Good customer service even if it means spilling out a few good fishing holes means repeat customers, which means more money. Even if he doesn't, you still got places like Army and Navy and other shops who don't really care but are still aiming for the similar goal of making the almighty dollar.

As for population growth, heres the census from 2012, I imagine its only gotten bigger since then.
From a national point of view B.C. is the second-fastest growing province in Canada, second only to Alberta. Canada’s overall population increased 5.9 percent between 2006 and 2011 to 33.5 million, with the western provinces leading the charge. Also for the first time, the population of B.C. and the Prairies is greater than that of Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.

Surrey up 18.6 per cent to 468,251
Vancouver up 4.4 per cent to 603,502.
Port Moody up 19.9 per cent to 32,975.
Burnaby up 10.1 per cent to 223,218
Richmond up 9.2 per cent  to 190,473.
Abbotsford – up 7.4 per cent to 133,497
Coquitlam – up 10.4 per cent to 126,456
Langley Township – up 11.2 per cent to 104,177
Delta – up 3.3 per cent to 99,863
North Vancouver District – up 2.2 per cent to 84,412
Chilliwack – up 12.6 per cent to 77,936
Maple Ridge – up 10.3 per cent to 76,052
New Westminster – up 12.7 to 65,976
Port Coquitlam – up 6.9 per cent to 56,342
North Vancouver City – up 6.7 per cent to 48,196
Langley City – up 6.3 per cent to 25,081
White Rock – up 3.1 per cent to 19,339

To think some of those people aren't fishermen/women would be kinda naive I think. Not to mention BC was listed as one of the top fishing destinations of the world at one point, Well it was mostly Langara or something, lol but still.

burnaby

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »

Some folks need a hug. Fishing is SUPPOSE to be FUN.

As for favorite spots the post about learning to read the water is dead on with fav spot changing with water conditions. Learn to read the water  ;)

Tenz85

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »

Some folks need a hug. Fishing is SUPPOSE to be FUN.
x2

If you find fishing hard, you're doing it wrong.