Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So many Questions  (Read 16070 times)

lightsorcerer

• Leather Fly Fishing Wallets
So many Questions
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »

Everything is geared for quick gratification not about understanding or respecting.
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

A Frayed Knot

Re: So many Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »

Not sure what you are asking or saying? What questions?
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »

Everything is geared for quick gratification not about understanding or respecting.

Are you new? This is the world of today. Sad really.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »

It's also, you know, a chat forum...

Not much else to do than share opinions.  Yes, it would be good if more shared rather than asked, but this is the idea of a forum.

Less questions and more sharing in the photography, sports, fly and reports sections.

The general forum is pretty much all questions, which is to be expected.

Pin-nook

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:13:01 AM »

This site used to be full of characters and sure at times there were disagreements but for the most part people knew what they were doing and the newbs would ask the right questions because generally the people joining back then wanted to know more about the sport then just where to go and what to use.  I'm sure some of those regulars many years ago still peek at this site from time to time but most have moved on. 

This is my second go on here and I basically only post on topics relating to gear and maybe some joking jabs on topics that I find amusing ;).

Lightsorcerer is right though, the last few years it seems a lot more that join the site ask for the quick solution rather than getting tips and going out and utilizing it. Experience isn't about getting the answer, it's about repetition and knowledge gained from hard work.

If I'm fishing near someone and they show the slightest interest and are patiently study what I'm doing, I'll offer suggestions or tips but I can tell you that I still keep an open mind as I still see new things that I can add to my arsenal.   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:49:41 AM »

Yeah this site is not what it used to be, time to move on.

If only I've gotten a dime everytime I've heard that in the past 13 years lol...

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:24 AM »

Everything was better in the past ;)

Pin-nook

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »

Yeah this site is not what it used to be, time to move on.

If only I've gotten a dime everytime I've heard that in the past 13 years lol...

Just making sure you don't forget Rodey! ;) It was a copy and paste statement and I will save it for next year! ;D

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »

I think anything really worth talking about people are generally tight lipped about anyway, so other than save sports, religion, politics, what is there to talk about?

Gear?
Pictures of Fish? Locations? -no ones gonna say much about either way. "Nice fish?" "Where'd ya get it?"  "Nonyadamnbusiness" "Anyone know a good fishing spot" "Nonyadamnbusiness"

Not sure whats worse. Asking legitimate fishing questions here outside of gear/rods or learning cipher or trying to get an unsanitized report on project Mongoose from 1962 I think it was. For those that don't know its a military campaign in cuban. Lol :P

So I guess I understand the frustration. There are quite the list of things I have noticed as well, but overall its not a terrible place to be. Just gotta have a masters in Google, if you need more information and kinda just use this as a reference.

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 02:34:12 PM »

There are people who, due to illnesses or disabilities, get very little fishing time.  They too love the feeling of accomplishment from figuring things out on their own, but are often forced to rely on the kindness of strangers.

I read a lot of questions and answers on this forum, but the real learning happens when I put the pieces together and try to make some sense out of them.  What I have read so far is not nearly enough for a complete and consistent picture, so I often ask more questions related to the missing pieces.

I am happy to say many people here have been very kind and helpful.  I don't know if they are a part of the old crowd mentioned, but I am sure glad they are here.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »

ahhh yes ,the good ol days
when we fished with a stick,lived in a hole and .........

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »

ahhh yes ,the good ol days
when we fished with a stick,lived in a hole and .........
And flossing was an unknown method and for our teeth too. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

KarateKick has summed it up quite nicely. Experienced anglers have a difficult time empathizing with how much knowledge beginners have to pick up to have a somewhat successful fishing day. It's also normal for beginner anglers to have a different expectation than more experienced anglers. It's normal for people who want to get into fishing ask about fishing spots, fishing reports, etc. After all, most people get into fishing because they want to catch fish, and they want to catch fish by using the easiest, quickest way. As the angler learns, grows and evolves, that expectation changes.

I'll admit that I have been annoyed by questions by members like KarateKick occasionally because to me they just seem straight forward. However, I'll remind myself regularly that I also was once at that stage. What I really dislike, is seeing anglers who become more experienced, and lack the patience to pass on the information they've gained to new anglers.

I get it, asking for fishing spots, fishing reports, will not benefit a new angler in the long run. If you don't wish to answer it, ignore it. Don't get irritated if someone asks about fishing regulations. Yes, people can read the regulations, OR they can ask about it if they find it difficult to understand. Answer it without passing on any judgement. Your contribution will only benefit the fisheries.

As for the composition of the discussion forum. This forum is what it is, people come and go. I don't really have the intent to build it up as a close community like flybc which is active on get-togethers etc. Many members here have become good friends and go fishing together. Great, but for the most part, I run this medium like a Q&A board.

Silver

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 12:27:51 AM »

The lack of disclosure for productive and under utilized fishing locations that members have found, and want to keep to themselves...I understand. If through painstaking determination someone has perfected the perfect lure, at the right time, location etc. I accept that this information is on a need to know basis only. Or, a threatened system that only seasoned participants are worthy of visiting...makes sense not to advertise these places.

However, I don't understand why questions are so frowned upon? Is it so unreasonable to inquire about how, what, where, when? I realize that you can't expect a novice to be given a comprehensive 'how to', but it seems that basic advise is few and far between...this is a fishing forum is it not? And the intolerance to lack of knowledge seems misguided. If someone seeks guidance to properly fish according to ethics, the rules, and even mutual respect...why criticize for need or lack of understanding?

Also, it is not ironic that the opposite end of the spectrum is unethical fishing practices such as, snagging, keeping restricted fish, being unlicensed, etc...these activities require no assistance...so why does a novice who wants to do the right thing have to navigate a labyrinth to obtain novice information. I respect the learning curve, but I think more patience and understanding would be nice.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:41:37 PM by Silver »

Tenz85

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 05:55:43 AM »

The lack of disclosure for productive and under utilized fishing locations that members have found, and want to keep to themselves...I understand. If through painstaking determination someone has perfected the perfect lure, at the right time, location etc. I accept that this information is on a need to know basis only. Or, a threatened system that only seasoned participants are worthy of visiting...makes sense not to advertise these places.

However, I don't understand why questions are so frowned upon? Is it so unreasonable to inquire about how, what, where, when? I realize that you can't expect a novice to be given a comprehensive 'how to', but it seems that basic advise is few and far between...this is a fishing forum is it not? And the intolerance to lack of knowledge seems misguided. If someone seeks guidance to properly fish according to ethics, the rules, and even mutual respect...why criticize for need or lack of understanding?

Also, it is not ironic that the opposite end of the spectrum is unethical fishing practices such as, snagging, keeping restricted fish, being unlicensed, etc...these activities require no assistance...so why does a novice who wants to do the right thing have to navigate a labyrinth to obtain novice information. I respect the learning curve, but I think more patience and understanding would be nice.

You understand but you don't? Some of your opinions are very contradicting.

Following the rules/regs is an expectation and should be something one should expect appraise for doing.

Patience is a two way street.

Pardon the cliche and hopefully my words haven't been too harsh.