Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When Does The Chum Heat Up On The Stave??  (Read 17599 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: When Does The Chum Heat Up On The Stave??
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

I think the chum chasers who aren't catching fish are either going to the wrong locations, or are using tht wrong methods. Everytime I go there for a short period (1-1.5 hours), I end up with 5-8 hookups.

Archer

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »

I think the chum chasers who aren't catching fish are either going to the wrong locations, or are using tht wrong methods. Everytime I go there for a short period (1-1.5 hours), I end up with 5-8 hookups.

I was in a good spot today, 5-8 an hour is not unheard of at Stave, but not today.

I had fun, battled a couple, its all good :)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »

I was in a good spot today, 5-8 an hour is not unheard of at Stave, but not today.

I had fun, battled a couple, its all good :)

Did you move around to different areas? Did you switch up presentation? Was the tide too high? This is prime time for the chum dog millionaires.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »

Agreed,
there should have been a big push of chum Oct. 15th.

If you watch browns bay reports the fishing lights up every year Oct. 6-8th then dies off for a bit.
Those fish get to the Fraser in 5 days and then up to the Stave 2 days later.

Same thing happens Oct. 30th... Browns bay lights up around the 22nd and the Stave lights up on the 30th with more fresh fish.

Lol.
 not joking

sockeyed

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »

Pretty big gong show all along 287, but huge amount of chum rolling through.

Humpy

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »

Lots of chum rolling but very few actually biting. Loads of bottom bouncers seem to make the fish go lock jaw. Pretty slow day overall compared to previous years and a lot more people. Gong show everywhere on the river.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Tangles

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »

I fished Stave on Thursday. First light to about 9ish had only two chum hooked and lots rolling around lockjawed. Got one nice coho and was hopeful for a nice day. The very few people I saw in the morning looked decent anglers, but then ........around 9 to 10am the whole area where we were got absolutely swarmed with people! It was a crazy gong show - shore lined all the way with 20ft distance in between at best. I can tolerate crowded conditions BUT every 8 out 10 people were bottom bouncing 3oz betties and 6-12ft leaders, everybody ripping and tearing all the time, fish dragged for their tail and booted back each and every time! I kid you not there was at one point 40 to 50 snaggers just in foreseeable distance, bonking yellow/black spawned chum and even a few trout! It was a very sickening thing to see, needless to say the bite went off and at about 11am we left the river. On the side of the road was a gongshow too, never seen so many cars on that river, there was cars parked with emergency lights ON the road waiting for someone to leave.

I only fished Stave the last couple of years and always enjoyed it, but with exception of a handfull of individuals the moral on the river was decent. I obvously underestimated the effect of the sockeye season on the smaller systems, it seems totally out of control. I phoned RAPP to report of retained overlimits with no result, tried to stop one guy from stepping over the heads of fish so he can retrieve his hook before booting them back - he said he dont care, also tried to "educate" an older couple of 75 yearold people, but of course they didn't know English.
 I don't think someone can convince me you can entice fish to bite when you have 3oz lead balls flying every 15 feet in the water. I think I'm done with this river for this season - risking my car being towed to just watch snagger's show filling tots full of nasty decomposed chum... I'm not sure it's worth it - I'm pissed and fuming because I reallly liked that fishery in the past but its never been anything like this.
/rant over

flyguy1

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »

Agreed

I've lived on Wilson rd for 20 years and every year it seems to get worse, the only option is to go by boat to try and  get away from the gong show.   Having said that I've read the same thing on almost every  river or slough on this website. A few  years back I witnessed fights break out on the chehalis  one guy took a hook in the back of the neck from a guy casting  next to him.  How much closer can you possibly stand !!!!!! 
 From the lack of respect for the guy next to you, to the fish themselves being kicked and snagged  is enough to turn your stomach. Unfortunately I cant see it changing unless more CO's are hired but that is unlikely to happen.

Not sure how much longer I'll be fishing for salmon  I'd be better off going to the interior and enjoy the peace and quiet on some remote lake

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »

was madness today as well, pretty amazing how many come out lol
still not alot of chum around, and  even the ones down by the mouth coming in looked dark already

243Pete

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:08 AM »

First light and a fair amount of people trying to fish for coho. A buddy of my friend caught a nice coho in the pool around late morning.
Down river was a bit of a gong show, people trying to bottom bounce with BB's and float flossing. Watched a lady try to squeeze in between two other guys, the one guy tried to be polite the whole thing and asked her to not fish about 3 feet away from him cause it's dangerous and there is plenty more room else where, things went pretty bad quickly and the police got called. But seriously... if you make it down in the late afternoon, try to squeeze in between people who already have a spot and are asked to leave but either ignore or pretend you don't understand what they are saying... that is just asking for it.
As for fishing... my arms still sore from all the chums.  ;)

Silex-user

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »

`the toilet bowl`at the Hydro Park has been a favourite with fly anglers for years. I don`t know if it`s accessible with the park closed till 2017. If it is get there early before the crowds show up and put your name on a rock before you leave.

That was one favorite place to fly fish and spincast lures for coho many moons ago.

Silex-user

Hoop71

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »

Was at the Stave for a couple hours this morning. Fish everywhere! Landed 10 and lost about 5-6.

Left just as the gong show was starting about 1100.

May not be a difficult fishery but it sure is fun!!

First fish on my new Lamiglass rod and Calcutta 200D reel!

My first Chum!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:55:19 PM by Hoop71 »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »

Nice!  They are a lot of fun to catch and I wish people would treat them with more respect.  Thanks for posting the pics!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »

Lots of chum rolling but very few actually biting. Loads of bottom bouncers seem to make the fish go lock jaw. Pretty slow day overall compared to previous years and a lot more people. Gong show everywhere on the river.

Again, you must be in the wrong spot, or using the wrong method.

Humpy

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »

Again, you must be in the wrong spot, or using the wrong method.
I was short floating purple/pink bent rods jigs. 15" leader, 25 gram float. Can I email you? I have the spot I went to marked on google maps and could send that to you and maybe you could tell me if that spot is worth fishing. Maybe the bulk of the run is still on the way, this rain should help.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.