Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When Does The Chum Heat Up On The Stave??  (Read 17716 times)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: When Does The Chum Heat Up On The Stave??
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »

Really lol. I was lower down looking for chum moving in on the tide~
saw nothing showing or being caught and didnt stick around long enough to see what came in later.

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »

I was on the west side on Monday evening, and my observations are in line with leadbelly's. Saw just a handful of fish show themselves as the tide came in, and had no action myself. I was also fishing in the lower reaches away from the dam.

sg6804

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »

We were in there today with the boat for an hour none to be had saw a couple of jumpers but no real numbers , My guess is another week or more . I hear the mouth of Vedder is good right now 

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Gongshow
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »

Well it's become a gong show of flossers, I went setup my jig float setup, and caught one on the first cast. I had 3 flossers coming over and inspecting my setup instantly. I tried to educate them that flossing technically legal, but frowned upon by avid fishermen. In fact 2 of the 3 guys that came up to me immediately switched to a float setup.

Parking is already mental, there isn't much room to fish, and watch your waders from idiots who are reeling in their snagging equipment across your lap.

I don't think the flossers liked me around, every time they snagged a fish I would walk up and tell them they need to release. They all abliged without hesitation, I even explained to one guy he can't drag fish up on the rocks if he plans on releasing it.

I didn't go there planning on getting on my soap box but I was glad to help the group of people around me understand what is cool, and what's not. I think the guys who switched to jigs and floats were happy I helped them understand.

Drewhill

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »

Yeah, people were worried about the bottom bouncers going to the Vedder. Turns out they headed to the Stave instead.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

lots of long liners rippers and dregers. Ive seen people floss there in December lol.
some areas where the water is deeper and the chum are traveling and not on redds is the ticket for avoiding allot of the flossers, though you still get entertained pretty good.  :o

FishingKing

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 06:47:30 PM »

Yeah, people were worried about the bottom bouncers going to the Vedder. Turns out they headed to the Stave instead.

No, they are on all the tribs. It's going to be a very fun year.

koifish

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »

Ive heard the staves really good for chums I wanna try fly fishin for them but so hard to get there and I don't even know how to get there lol

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

Ive heard the staves really good for chums I wanna try fly fishin for them but so hard to get there and I don't even know how to get there lol

Too many idiots for fly fishing.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »

Too many idiots for fly fishing.

^ if you can find some frog water it should work.

But agreed, have to watch the back cast on every false cast.  Not because of bushes, but because people walk behind when your mid cast....

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »

Thanks Flytech; if we all took a little time and showed a little patience the way you did, our rivers would be a better place to fish.  I have lost count of the number of times that I have found apparent snaggers and flossers to be ordinary decent folks who have learned by watching and imitating others and are happy/grateful to receive help.  Sure, not every time, and you will find asshats in all walks of life, but usually its a minority.

Archer

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »

Was there today from first light to 12pm. Landed 1 large doe and one strong buck. Bent Rod's Purplator Jigs, purple/pink worked best.  Guy beside me landed at least 8 by the time I left. Saw a couple super chromes landed due to the incoming tide. Lots in there now, just depends if their biting or not.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »

thanks for the report. should be far better than that by now though.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »

`the toilet bowl`at the Hydro Park has been a favourite with fly anglers for years. I don`t know if it`s accessible with the park closed till 2017. If it is get there early before the crowds show up and put your name on a rock before you leave.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »

Fly fishing the bowl is fine, just be very early, as in flashlight early, and watch out for folks behind you.  Then move down river for chum and start to get really sloppy with your cast and you are given plenty of room to fish!