Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, April 28th 2014  (Read 14156 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Capilano River, April 28th 2014
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:42 PM »

Thought I'd post a report about todays trip. 5th trip out for me to the Cap and as I usually do in the early part of the season I go down Rabbit Lane way and fish the Granny Smith and the numerous pools that I have discovered over the years. Got to the river at 8 am and not a soul in sight which I thought would happen being a Monday.

Fishing chum roe and not much happening for the first hour except the beauty of mother nature and the calmness of being so close to the city yet so far away. All of a sudden at the end of the pool I see a splash and venture to guess its a lovely blue black. I make my cast as perfect and smooth as a balletist performing a pirouette and softly adjust it so that its right in line with the prize.

Drat, nothing on this cast. My drift ends and I quickly reel up hoping I can re-cast, locate and catch this beauty before she scoots through to another spot as early in the year these coho are as hard to catch as dragons teeth. But this cast and subsequent ones fail to find the pot at the end of this rainbow and with a sigh I settle in, relax and enjoy the serenity of it all.

A couple hours pass by quickly what with a good book to read, fishing, watching and snacking but I eventually grow edgy and decide to try another spot not far away. Its only a short hike, 15 minutes tops and I am again looking at a fresh pool with not a soul in sight and my anticipation begins to build as I put bait on my hook. Again the quiet is beautiful to behold. That we can all drive, hike and fish in such a magical river only steps from our backyards is nothing short of wonderful.
I fish this pool for about an hour and a half and see nothing rise nor feel any bites, time to move.

The third pool I visit is again within minutes to reach and as with any fisherman my optimism is again at a high. I rebait and cast and do as I've done for the last 30 years fishing this river. Smile, enjoy, breathe deeply and rejoice in lifes little wonders. An hour passes too fast and still nothing. Will I get skunked again ? In the 4 previous trips I have only hooked 3 fish and was only able to get one in so I wouldn't be surprised if I got shutout again. Patience is a fisherman's best friend.

As my float drifts half way down the pool my mind starts thinking maybe its time to go as it has now reached 1 pm and then all of a sudden my float dips, turns and is gone. I quickly set the hook and immediately feel and see this brute twisting side to side in attempt to get off. I know this is a big one and I say to myself don't lose him Al. Then with a show of strenghth and cunning there is a huge jump from the water and as it twists in the air I get to view its exquisiteness.

My heart is beating fast as I reel and walk to get closer to where this fish is and then she jumps again. I fear I have lost her as I allowed some slack in the line this time but she is still there and is peeling my line off in a true display of her strength. I'm worried my 8 lb test won't hold as this fish for sure is a 6 maybe a 7 lber and with the way it is fighting I just don't know. Again for the third time she jumps and as she settles in the water again I decide its time to try and land her. She is only 5 feet away but it seems so far as the closer to shore I get her the more animated she becomes.

Finally as she reaches the shore and I attempt to pull her past the medium sized rocks my line snaps, Oh No I scream !!!
But as I look to where she is I can see she is winded from the fight and I only have seconds to make my choice.
Into the water I jump with both feet and I slide both my hands under her tail and head, I have her. And then I do what any knowledgeable fisherman does, I immediately check to make sure she is a hatchery fish.

It is almost a foregone conclusion as I look to where the adipose fin should be as almost all Cap coho are hatchery. But when I look, there it is, a full adipose. She is wild. My heart sinks and then I think, coho for sure? I quickly check for white gums and black tongue, wide tail base, yes and yes and she is chrome silver just like the thousand other Cap coho's I have caught in my lifetime.  She must be released and so still standing a foot deep in the river I lower her back to her birthplace and in an instant she is gone.

My heart is still beating and my breathe heavy and adrenalized as I step out of the water and attempt to regroup my senses. That was the most beautiful fish I have Ever caught in the Capilano and I shall never forget her. Neither all the Steelies nor all the other coho or springs shall ever equal what she has given me today. A truly magical and amazing moment in time and it allows one to realize that this is Why we fish. I re-hook and fish some more but my heart isn't in it for nothing could equal what had just occurred to me. With a smile and a glance over my shoulder I pack up and leave.

For those of you that will be saying, pics, pics, sorry I don't do that. You'll just have to take my word for it, or don't. Wishing you all the Best as the warmer weather approaches and I hope you all reach your dreams.

Good Fishing All !!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano River, April 28th 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »

6 lb. coho in April ?

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:59:44 AM »

Yep, believe it. Or don't.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:10:30 PM by Athezone »

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »

Great report, thanks ;D

4TheKids

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

I believe you caught a Coho in the Cap. I believe your story has some embellishments. And I believe you will now be fishing with 10 other anglers.

mvelasco

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »

Great write up. Definitely one of the systems I have to explore. Like Scott Howell said "a river needs friends too"

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »

I believe you caught a Coho in the Cap. I believe your story has some embellishments. And I believe you will now be fishing with 10 other anglers.

Hey its a fishing story of course its got some embellishments. And I don't know if I'll see 10 cus' I'm somewhat retired and can pick and choose my times but I'm a pretty social person so a couple here and there won't kill me.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:16:45 PM »

Great read, that little flash of silver before your float disappears never gets old. Looking forward to seeing the familiar sight of a small coho dancing after being hooked.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

There are some bigger fish mixed in with the small ones.  In my favourite pool I can see the schools of coho when they swim by and sometimes I'm shocked how big 1 or 2 fish are. 

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »

Great read. You are a pro on the Cap. I believe your story. Often in June on the holding tank you see fish that are much bigger than the rest and not a steelhead. But a wild fish? Probably hatchery not enough budget to clip all their released fish. I agree theeCap is such a little heaven in the midst of urban chaos. I like to hide away in the canyon too. Just getting old to hang down a rope on some of the pools.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:53:47 PM by liketofish »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »

Great read buddy.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »

Thanks guys !!! I've been slacking off from posting for quite a while so's I suppose I was due. Went out yesterday by the way, same spot where I caught the beauty fish and just fence posted for the whole time. Stayed in the same spot for 3 and a half hours and didn't see anything nor did I get a bite, lol.

Oh well thats fishing and thats the Cap sometimes. Still great to get out and man did I get some sun. It should begin picking up soon at least I hope it does. Only takes me 20 min. to drive there so thats a nice treat and gives me incentive to get out and about. Well Good Luck everyone !!!

Drewhill

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »

Still very early for the cap. Usually picks up in June and that depends on water levels.

hotrod

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »

Thanks for the great report! It is time to start hunting for them little silvers and yes I have also experienced large coho early in the past .I have found that it is a good indication of the run to come is going to be decent.

I believe the hatchery has been instilling a wild population of cohos. Taking a number of coho above the cleveland dam to spawn naturally, then in the spring collecting fry to transport and release below the dam.So You can figure it was a wild coho you caught!!

hotrod

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »

But wouldnt a wild coho come back in october like most cohos?