Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, April 28th 2014  (Read 14121 times)

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Capilano River, April 28th 2014
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »

143 guys are now fishing in your spot...

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »

They won't be in his spot for long lol. Good luck finding them this early, they may be around here and there, but in small small numbers and only passing by. Takes many skunked (no fish caught) days, proper timing and patients to find them. Not everyone knows the Cap enough to know the spot he is talking about anyway. I don't. :)

You've got that right Aaron, it takes many days of getting skunked before the fishing Gods take a liking to you. Gone are the days when we would see schools of 50, 60 sometimes maybe even a hundred fish push into your pool. Why I remember 15 or 16 maybe 18 years ago my brother and myself fished a pool in June for a couple hours and didn't catch or see much of anything. Then a large school came in and we ended up from 7 pm till dark catching over 60 coho between us.

Every cast we had either a fish on or got a good chomp on our bait. It was crazy and amazing and so stupidly funny we just kept laughing to each other time and time again. we have never had a day like that since. It was like all the planets had aligned perfectly for us and it was a once in a lifetime thing. Now a days, even in  the peak of the run you'll be lucky to see a school of 20 enter your pool. Ahhhh, the good old days ehhhh.

But hey, if it was easy everybody would be doing it right. Oh hold on, everybody is Already doing it, lol. My best advice to everybody is to not get your hopes up. Go out and enjoy mother nature, the serenity and the peacefulness of it all, breathe deeply and just smile. You'll feel better for it.

Good Fishing All and Good Luck !!!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »

I agree. This early the best thing is to enjoy mother nature first and fish second. Most of the time is no fish home. Don't count your dinner on it.  ;D

Talking about long time ago, I remember those days after Expo 86 when I went to the Cap after work and from the Woodcroft bridge looking down you could see school and school of coho going up. I remember one evening at Nude Rock rapids me and my friend hit a long freight train of coho going by and we were hooking coho into the dark non-stop, fish on literally every cast, and even when the roe was so chewed up leaving only the white skein it still hooked them. Wow, what a memory!

You all still remember those days when people lined up at the rapids below Cable Pool and House Rock. In between waves of coho, people would stop and chat with their eyes on those guys near House Rock at the bottom. Once those guys started hitting fish, everybody went back to casting for the next wave coming up. Those were the days. Now, it is a ghost town there most of the time even in June. Fishing the rapids is so chancy now that most people just focus on the big pools and they are crowded.

Why can't the hatchery stock the river like the old days? The eco system hasn't changed. We just need more funding. Just imagine they save all that money on sockeye crash inquiry for stocking more fish. They haven't done a thing on the recommendations any way. Sigh!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:18:11 PM by liketofish »

Tenz85

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »

I was up there Friday fishing the river head to tail. Didn't catch anything, didn't see anyone and did see anything. It was a nice day but if you want to catch fish, go where the fish are -- ie. The ocean, local trout lakes, or the Fraser for sturgeon.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:33 PM »

I was up there Friday fishing the river head to tail. Didn't catch anything, didn't see anyone and did see anything. It was a nice day but if you want to catch fish, go where the fish are -- ie. The ocean, local trout lakes, or the Fraser for sturgeon.

Yeahhh, I agree Tenz85 it is certainly difficult to catch these little blue backs but when you do they are the most tastiest fish around. Going out tomorrow to try my luck once again, hope the river drops a bit.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »

I got out the waders and tried the ocean/mouth at low tide yesterday in the pouring rain. As the tide came up I made my way to the mouth. Started getting dark (6 hours later) and I hadnt even seen signs of fish. If any did go up the river, I hope I wouldve noticed haha. As I was tossing my spoon accross the entire span of the mouth over and over and over till dark. Beautiful rainy beach weather though. Maybe next time
Hey Aaron, fishing the mouth of the Cap can be hit and miss at this time of year with the relatively low numbers of fish and strong water levels. Beach angling opportunites off the mouth really improve in the summer months as increasing numbers of fish stack up due to the low river water levels

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 10:14:33 PM »

If you don't know already, try to fish with rising tide if fishing lower Cap. But this early, don't really have big school to push up yet.

mvelasco

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »

Haven't touched this system yet but is the cap spey friendly at all?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »

Haven't touched this system yet but is the cap spey friendly at all?

No, mostly canyons

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »

FA is right. Forget about spey in the river itself. It is not even wide enough for speying. But the river mouth below the train bridge in the tidal portion can have the space and river width to handle speying. However, I don't know if there is enough flow there to drive the fly with action unless you retrieve it fast. But do speyers retrieve line fast like normal fly fishing?

mvelasco

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »

Hmm...normally just swing my fly but if the flow isn't there than maybe gear it is.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »

Hmm...normally just swing my fly but if the flow isn't there than maybe gear it is.
Bring both. I've seen fly guys find the odd open spot to cast, but it's definitely not a lot of room.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »

The Cap is not a fly fishing friendly river to, too much. One can always try but space is very limited and catching a fish is very difficult. The coho will take roe, spinners, spoons and sometimes wool but roe is the best bet if you want to catch Cap coho. If you plan on spey fishing the Cap you may as well stick to a soccer field cus' thats about the success level you'll have.

Good Luck though !!!

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:03 AM »

I always get them while fly fishing with size 8 rolled muddeler or coho buggers.

adecadelost

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

I fly fish the river all the time.  As others have said there isn't always a lot of room but using single handed spey casts and roll casts are all you need as this isn't a big river.  There are also spots that have enough back cast room if you look around.  I was up on Saturday and connected with a nice sized fish mid river.  I find later in the season when the've seen the gobs of roe over and over sometimes that small little fly is exactly what's needed.

People should take note the hatchery fish ladder tanks were chocked full.  I've never seen so many coho in there.  Mind you nothing was over 3" long.  For those chucking goo the next couple days you might want to bring extra as you'll likely be feeding these little guys for awhile.