Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, April 28th 2014  (Read 14122 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Re: Capilano River, April 28th 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »

I would have to disagree with you about flyfishing the cap as it is easily the most productive way to get them, if the water is below level2 that is.
Fish on!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »

Fly fishing will not out perform roe guy in the morning in lower river or canyon pools. But when the fish are in, Cable Pool below 2 ft in the gauge can be a productive spot and most guys just do roll casts. Try a small olive green fly on deep sink line and fast strip.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »

Please be reminded all steelhead and trout, including both hatchery and wild, must be released unharmed.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »

Liketofish I know what you're saying but Im saying given the entire season now till Novemberish the fly will out produce everything period. You have a window now to use roe but once the melt is done and the water stays low all summer not to mention the bait ban....  No need to give me fly advice as I am there more than almost anyone rollcasting on my perch.  Good luck, hope to bump into you.
Fish on!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »

Liketofish I know what you're saying but Im saying given the entire season now till Novemberish the fly will out produce everything period.

Really !!! You really believe that ??? I'll tell you what my friend I'll go fishing with you and I'll outfish you using roe any day you pick. And I'm not talking about the Cable Pool when its below 2 ft. and there's hundreds of coho sitting so lock-jawed you'd think they were mini pit bulls with fins. I've seen the talented fly fishermen at the Cable letting their line drift to the fish and then hand retrieving so fast you'd think they'd just taken a hit of speed. Yahhhh, real skill there.

No I'm talking about a pool where the fish don't hold. They enter and move through rather quickly and your fly, lure or bait better be enticing to them or you just don't get them. No flossing in fast water either or through a pack of a hundred fish pooled together. If your fly is as worthy as you say it should'nt be a problem for you. Just name your day.

4TheKids

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 09:52:32 PM »

If the argument comes down to bait vs artificial, then bait wins. Fish are driven by scent.
If the argument comes down to swing vs drift, then drift wins. It is simple mechanics. Drifting has your presentation at depth for much longer. Do you really think you can get a fly down and fishing as fast as a center pin or a bait caster? Since when does an egg swing through the water? What if you need to change your depth? You can tell a subtle take with a big piece of T10?
I enjoy casting my spey rod or single hander but not in the Cap and not to slay fish.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »

Athezone, sure I'll take you up on that! Let's meet up, not once but many times throughout the season. I'd like to film it for my fishing channel also if you're OK with that. First thing I'd Like to do is get you to admit on camera that you are wrong and the coho are chasing a retrieved fly, not being flossed.  That will be easy once you see the sight of a coho chasing a fly to the surface and taking it right in front of you.  duhhh.  4thekids don't even comment, fly guys on the Cap don't use egg patterns, no fly flossing here. I'm In Kelowna this weekend but let's meet up and start this next weekend Athezone, or weekday mornings I can get out also.
Fish on!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 06:58:55 AM »

Athezone, sure I'll take you up on that! Let's meet up, not once but many times throughout the season. I'd like to film it for my fishing channel also if you're OK with that. First thing I'd Like to do is get you to admit on camera that you are wrong and the coho are chasing a retrieved fly, not being flossed.  That will be easy once you see the sight of a coho chasing a fly to the surface and taking it right in front of you.  duhhh.  4thekids don't even comment, fly guys on the Cap don't use egg patterns, no fly flossing here. I'm In Kelowna this weekend but let's meet up and start this next weekend Athezone, or weekday mornings I can get out also.

Thanks for the offer summersteel but I don't do Youtube video's nor would I appear on someone's fishing show. If I wanted to be a movie star I would of moved to Hollywood years ago. And as far as coho chasing a fly I'm pretty sure I've seen that once or twice in my life, duhhh. In fact I've caught a few coho in the ocean using bucktail streamers and what not.

Let me know when you want to go and where to meet. Hope you have a wonderful trip to Kelowna, I have a sister that lives there. Beautiful place, wishing you the Best summersteel !!!

mvelasco

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »

When it comes to bait and artificial I think it comes down to preference.  For me wool has done the trick over roe. My brother, friend and myself have out fished roe guys in a heavy populated run in the vedder as well.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 09:05:52 AM »

For me wool has done the trick over roe. My brother, friend and myself have out fished roe guys in a heavy populated run in the vedder as well.

If you don't mind to share about your wool patterns, colors and kind of water to fish for (fast ,slow or pockets)?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »

Wow, the duel of the masters of the Cap with the weapon of fishing rod. Nice.  :)  Most likely both of you will come to a draw & no one get hurt  ;D Just kidding. I am not taking preference here as I do both roe & fly. Each has its merits in a certain kind of water & fishing spot. But this weekend? There ain't enough fish yet. So you both may come up with 0-0, a draw.  ;D But I have no doubt you are both master of you own style. I like to learn form you both. You can take me on as an apprentice. I learned a great spot from Athezone already for red spring. He is a super nice guy and surely a Cap pro. Perhaps I can learn a spot or two from him. Tired of the pools below the H1 bridge and House Rock.

Perhaps I can also meet up Summersteel to learn a trick or two about flyfishing the Cable Pool later in the season. Besides using Rio deep 7, fluorocarbon 6lb tippet, a small greenish fly and stripping fast, and hanging down that rope to go to the lower rock at Cable Pool when it is below 2ft, what else to do in the Cable Pool to be more efficient? I can't go there at 5AM. If I can do that, I will probably get my fish.  :)

Hey guys, I have started a thread 'Enhance the Cap like the old days?' in the discussion section. Perhaps we can convince the authority to enhance the Cap so that both methods will be super productive all season through.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:59:26 AM by liketofish »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »

Hey guys, I have started a thread 'Enhance the Cap like the old days?' in the discussion section. Perhaps we can convince the authority to enhance the Cap so that both methods will be super productive all season through.  ;) ;D

Convince our Goverment ? You must be joking, Right ?   

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »

Convince our Goverment ? You must be joking, Right ?

Nothing will happen unless you try, right? How about getting 1,000 Cap fishermen to petition the government? Any volunteers?

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »

Wow, the duel of the masters of the Cap with the weapon of fishing rod. Nice.  :)  Most likely both of you will come to a draw & no one get hurt  ;D Just kidding. I am not taking preference here as I do both roe & fly. Each has its merits in a certain kind of water & fishing spot. But this weekend? There ain't enough fish yet. So you both may come up with 0-0, a draw.  ;D But I have no doubt you are both master of you own style. I like to learn form you both. You can take me on as an apprentice. I learned a great spot from Athezone already for red spring. He is a super nice guy and surely a Cap pro. Perhaps I can learn a spot or two from him. Tired of the pools below the H1 bridge and House Rock.

Liketofish you break me up and I don't know about masters of the Cap, lol. I am hoping that when I do meet summersteel he's as nice as you were when we shared our fishing time together. That was sure fun ehhhh !!! And like you I too hope that I can learn a few tricks at fly fishing that I can store away to use later. I don't always baitcast you know and have caught many a fish with my trusty 3 piece fly rod. I have never used a fly rod for the Cap though and unless summersteel can convince me of its value I doubt I ever will.

Good Fishing All !!!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »

Nothing will happen unless you try, right? How about getting 1,000 Cap fishermen to petition the government? Any volunteers?

Good luck and when are you going to start ?