Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 38357 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

2014's Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley catchable rainbow trout stocking starts today, March 13th. The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, is responsible for stockings of these fish between March and June, September and November, so fishing is expected to be excellent during these months. These angling opportunities are fantastic for families, youth and entry-level anglers due to high catch success rate.

As usual, we will once again be providing regular stocking reports to keep you updated so you can plan your next weekend fishing trip better. Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake stocking reports will be available in this thread as well as on this page.

WHERE TO FISH?

Here are some of the lakes in Region Two that are stocked with rainbow trout.

ADDITIONAL READINGS

It's Trout Season in Vancouver!
Rainbow trout fishing in the Lower Mainland can be excellent between March and June.

Bait Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
The most basic method used when fishing for stocked rainbow trout is bait fishing.

Lure Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
Lure fishing is another effective fishing method in urban lakes. It is preferred by anglers who want to be active.

Good Fishing at Lower Mainland Lakes
A trip to Alice and Edith Lakes shows how good the trout fishing can be around the Lower Mainland.

A Convenient Alternative
Put and take lakes are a good alternative when fishing is slow else where.

“Fishing in the City” Launched
Fishing in the City is a new urban fishing program launched by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

VIDEOS

Float Fishing for Urban Trout

Float, Egg, Trout!

Spring Trout Stockings

REGULATIONS

Before heading out, please be aware of the followings:

• You must have a valid BC freshwater angling license.
  • You are permitted to keep four trout in Region 2 lakes, unless stated otherwise in lake-specific regulations. Lafarge, Como, Green Timbers, Deer, Rice, Mill Lake now have a two fish per day limit!
  • If fishing from shore, only ONE fishing rod/line is permitted for each angler.
  • If fishing alone in a boat, an angler is allowed to use TWO fishing rods/lines.
  • Only ONE hook is allowed on each fishing line.
  • There are exceptions/specific regulations for some lakes (such as catch and release only, requirement of barbless hook, boating restrictions), please see the table in Region Two's regulations where each lake is listed for exceptions.
  • If you witness a violation, please phone 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) and report it.

CONTACT

For stocking plans, please contact the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery at (604) 504-4716.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 2014 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »

Are treble hooks allowed on lakes ? Can't find any reference in the regulations.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »

For lakes in Region 2, treble and barbed hooks are allowed unless it specifically states that you must use a single barbless hook for the lake where you are fishing (eg. single barbless for Alta Lake, Florence Lake, Morgan Lake, etc).

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region2.pdf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »

Lafarge, Como, Rice, Green Timbers and Hastings Park's Sanctuary Pond were stocked today. Numbers will be available tomorrow.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »

For lakes in Region 2, treble and barbed hooks are allowed unless it specifically states that you must use a single barbless hook for the lake where you are fishing (eg. single barbless for Alta Lake, Florence Lake, Morgan Lake, etc).

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region2.pdf

Thanks Rodney. That's what I thought.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »

The numbers of yesterday's catchable rainbow trout stockings in the Lower Mainland are now available in our database. Go Fish BC will be stocking Rolley, Mike, Mill, Sasamat and Buntzen Lake next week. Have a great fishing weekend and spring break!

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/stocking_2.html

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »

Went to Lafarge today with my belly boat, it was great! got 2 on my 3wt. Nice day on the water... ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »

Went to Lafarge today with my belly boat, it was great! got 2 on my 3wt. Nice day on the water... ;D

Nice. We were watching you floating around the west side of the lake around 1pm, when the rain started coming down for awhile. It seemed a bit slow, I would have expected more active fish by today. This first batch of fish was the best looking, healthiest fish I've seen compared to all other year's early stockings. They went into the lake, didn't go belly up at all, recovered almost immediately and swam away into the deeper water.

The otter definitely did not go hungry today... It ate two while we were standing there watching...

Burbot

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »

Are they ever going to stock Trout Lake in Vancouver again or??

Shawn6o4

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »

Are they ever going to stock Trout Lake in Vancouver again or??

Lol probly not...

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »

Why not? Those folks living in Vancouver with their expensive homes pay the most property taxes, dont' they deserve some perks from the gov in return? LOL.  ;D

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »

Fishing in Vancouver's Trout lake is like Fishing with Feces.  A few mysterious sources of sewage is contaminating it and nobody wants to spend any money to stop it and and cleaning it up. There is a bike lane there though so it's all good. :)

marrington03

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 11:17:40 PM »

The fish have been pretty tight lipped compared to previous stockings.

Tried Lafarge the evening of the 13th, one light nibble.

Lafarge and Como for a total 4.5 hours the next day, saw some jumpers, nobody was getting any fish.

Spent the morning at Green Timbers today, one very light nibble between 4 of us fishing on the far side(which is usually very productive)

Saw a couple taken on the fly and a couple on a croc further up the lake, but it has been overall slow.

Will see how first light tomorrow works out :)

Hoop71

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 05:58:03 AM »

Was at Sasamat Lake last Wednesday and it had not been stocked since last year and caught 6 in about 2hrs. Decent size fish as well, all on a spoon.

Hoping to make it to Rice Lake later this week.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »

Got my 2 fish from Rick Lake this morning.   On one side of the lake the fish were just hugging the bottom.  On the other side, they were rolling.  I've seen the reverse of this happening too, in my previous trips.