Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 38006 times)

Tenz85

Re: 2014 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »

It was cold and wet early afternoon at lafarge but I managed to pull out two trout with krill on a small float.

Nice to catch something again and hey tasted alright seasoned, buttered and baked. Hopefully I don't grow an extra appendange.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »

I've been meaning to hit Lafarge, I heard carp are suppose to be worth fishing around this time of the year. I am waiting to see if Mike Lake will be ready to fish soon.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

marrington03

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »

another fishless morning at lafarge, and another fishless evening at como.

lots of risers, they just weren't having it.

felt like i was hunting cutties  :-\

Tenz85

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »

what were you using for bait \ lure?

they didn't take on krill dyed red but did hit the krill dyed yellow and I saw someone else catch one using yellow dough too.

maybe this is a brood attracted to yellow or just easy for them to find yellow given the water clarity. also noticed lots of fall foliage \debris floating about so yellow may stand out. the one trout's stomach contained quite a bit of pine bristles and other debris from vegetation along with my yellow krill.

marrington03

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »

tried chartreuse, lime, and pink powerbaits in different color combinations, as well as 6 different panther martin spinners(very small sizes) and some 3/16 crocs.

all of the top producers from previous stockings. just an unlucky few days.

might be time to put a worm under a float.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »

It should be good later this week when they realize they are hungry and need to eat! Also, it seems like on the fly, the fish are biting more than gear. I've tried Lafarge twice now on the fly and got 2 each time with lots more bites too.

Humpy

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 04:17:21 PM »

Anyone know if Mill Lake has been stocked? I couldn't get any info on it so I assume they haven't stocked it yet. For fishing for these trout, is it better to float fish or bottom fish or is that just personal preference? I assume float fishing on a calm day and bottom fishing on a windy day?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »

I always found it depended on the temp of the water and time of day. Aside from the trout has anyone tried carp fishing yet at  Lafarge or it still to early?
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

kid fisherman

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »

Worms under a float was the ticket this weekend for my brother. We had a set up were he was fishing worms and I was fishing single eggs and balanced leeches under A float. The worms were the only thing that was working.

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »

I always found it depended on the temp of the water and time of day. Aside from the trout has anyone tried carp fishing yet at  Lafarge or it still to early?

I never found Lafarge good for Carp fishing plus it would be too early right now. Go to Sturgeon Slough you'll catch carp there for sure. Go around May, June.

Humpy

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »

Worms under a float was the ticket this weekend for my brother. We had a set up were he was fishing worms and I was fishing single eggs and balanced leeches under A float. The worms were the only thing that was working.
How big of a leader? I've tried float fishing once but I don't know what size the leader should be for these lakes.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »

When ever I fish Rice or any of the other urban lakes, I've always used 4 or 6lb test. I like to use 4lb on sunny days and 6lb on cloudy/rainy days.

Tight Lines

kid fisherman

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »

How big of a leader? I've tried float fishing once but I don't know what size the leader should be for these lakes.

From my swivel to the hook it is around 2 feet wit a split shot above the hook And A small sensitive float. For the fish they stock you don't need to over think it just make sure you use a light line.

Humpy

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »

Thanks, is the split shot above the hook or the swivel? And from float to swivel what would the distance be?

Chuck

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »

I never found Lafarge good for Carp fishing plus it would be too early right now. Go to Sturgeon Slough you'll catch carp there for sure. Go around May, June.

The last time I was at Sturgeon Slough there was a huge carp idly swimming less than 6 feet from me. I only had Bass lures with me that day and was kicking myself. I'd say that was probably June last year.